Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I have a serious grumble (nackered bike content)
  • binners

My DT Swiss freehub has started having a right old grumble. It’s suddenly started making a noise like all the rejected non-dropper seat posts in the world collectively committing suicide, by hurling themselves into a cement mixer. Feels much the same too. Though it still appears to work fine. There’s no play in it.

So…. What’s gone tits up here? Is it completely shot? New hub required? Or can the freehub be fixed. Is it worth it? i laced a new rim to this hub not too long back, and banged some new bearings in (well…. The LBS did) Help me please oh wise and mechanically competent ones….

glupton1976
    Free Member

wise and mechanically competent ones

By rights this should be a very short thread. 😀

toppers3933
    Free Member

new freehub body should see it right. find out the model and google that model and include the words freehub body. or give it to your bike shop friends and they will do it for you. defo worth doing if theres nothing else wrong with the wheel.

this reply was not supposed to sound anywhere near as sanctimonious as it does. sorry about that 😀

franksinatra

Help me please

okay then, I will. Nackered is incorrect, the correct spelling is Knackered.

No charge.

RustySpanner

What colour handlebars have you got?

franksinatra

You need to sit down and have a firm word an explain to it that is not a Hope and therefore stop making such a stupid noise!

binners

They’re black, but until very recently were white. Do you reckon this has what’s caused the problem?

Thanks Toppers. I’ll have a look for a freehub body

RustySpanner

Ah.

Sounds like a bad case of noskcaJ leahciM syndrome.

Have you tried riding with just one white glove?

binners

Different colour glove on the other hand? Or gloveless?

RustySpanner

Hmm.

Tricky one.

I was going to suggest setting your hair on fire but, well, you know……

binners

If I don’t shave it for a few weeks I’ll probably look like Ian Duncan Smith. Eminently torchable, I’d have thought. I might even enjoy it.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If it is a rebranded Onyx hub, what I have seen is that one of the pawls breaks in half, so the hub will still engage with the working pawl, while the other one flops around uselessly, making a noise.

If this is what has happened, it’s a cheap and easy fix. Cone spanners to undo the axle and take off the freehub. Parts are on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DT-Swiss-Freewheel-pawl-for-Onyx-hub-single-/161091823638?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item2581d22816

RustySpanner

Anyway, DT Swiss?

Didn’t realise they’d reached Ramsbottom yet.
    Smuggled in?
    We’ve got Toblerone in Burnley now, but there’s still on the spot fines for any hubs but Hope.

binners

Torsoinalake – that would make sense. The grumbling appears to be coming from half the hub, as opposed to all of it. A half-grumble, if you like. I think I’ll get the freehub body and the bearings while I’m at it. Thanks!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not the sort of “serious grumble” I expect from you, Binners.

robbieh
    Free Member

, and banged some new bearings in (well…. The LBS did) Help me please ..

. there,s the problem…too big a hammer

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just check what model it is first. This may help:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Support/Service-Videos-Documents

franksinatra

too big a hammer

No such thing. Far more likely to be too small a hammer

fasthaggis

OP

If you can bear to sacrifice some grease from your next Greggs purchase,that will keep it quiet 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

What is STW coming to?
    No one has suggested a new bike (29er)yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I have a serious grumble (nackered bike content)’ is closed to new replies.