Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I get mocked for using file tread tyres
  • oldgit
    Free Member

But how come many of the top end tubulars used by pros are file tread. Schwalbe punt their slick tyres and Continental their unique treads, but when it’s comes to the top end sprints both supply file treads?

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve been messing with all types of bikes for quite a while now but it would seem I’m on the verge of learning something new. Google hasn’t really been my friend this time, so please enlighten me, what are ‘file tread tyres’ then?

schmiken

Dugast Pipistrello:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daveh
    Free Member

I think I get it, they’re nothing special, its just that their ‘dimply’ tread looks like the surface of a (coarse!) file?

Sam

Pipistrellos rock, but I guess you are talking about pure road tyres right?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep, road tyres.

marty
    Free Member

are the people mocking you in front of you or behind you? 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

are the people mocking you in front of you or behind you?

Neither, most often sat in front of a computer.

Kuco

My Schwalbe Lugano have got a file tread in the middle they seem fine to me.

njee20
    Free Member

WGAS?! Anyone who mocks you for using a certain tread profile (even worse on the road) really isn’t worth the time of day!

honourablegeorge

At a guess, tread like that would have less rubber on contact with the ground – maybe there’s a rolling resistance benefit from being less sticky that outweighs the not-perfectly-roundness?

nick3216
    Free Member

Neither, most often sat in front of a computer.

No need to worry about their mockage then

jonba
    Free Member

It’s interesting that most of the standard road tyres I’ve seen come slick but the pros all ride file tread (It is very obvious flicking through bike photos in a tour). My only guess would be that the tread wears off too quickly and unless you have pro tour bus full of the things and a sponsor then it’s going to get pricey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I get mocked for using file tread tyres’ is closed to new replies.