Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • I do like a steel hardtail
  • honourablegeorge

This is lovely

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Tis nice!

Cheers, Steve

singlespeedstu

Has your Fastforward arrived yet?

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member
    Has your Fastforward arrived yet?

No. It’s due week 17/18 – Monday is Week 17 day one. They had a snafu with the chainstays which were welded up incorrectly, so had to remanufacture – they’re about two months behind schedule. That’s Kickstarter, I guess – but to be fair, they’ve been good with updates.

Needless to say, I’m hugely impatient/excited at this point. They’ve been posting pics of production bikes on the site, they look ace, and that’s not helping the impatience one bit. What’s worse, there’s a good chance I’ll be away travelling with work when it does finally arrive.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

WANT.

rOcKeTdOg

Winter’s +bike was better imo

dgb1
    Free Member

Wow, I love a steel HT too. Rebuilding my Cove HJ at the moment, scouring the for sale section for bits but those 2 Fastforwards (hadn’t heard of the brand before) look absolutely stunning.
    I guess there’d be no one in this isle with one to check it out though.

honourablegeorge

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Winter’s +bike was better imo

This one? Paint job is not for me. Looks a bit like a discovery channel custom motorbike monstrosity

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

?

honourablegeorge

dgb1 – Member

I guess there’d be no one in this isle with one to check it out though.

There’s 4 of them headed to the UK according to Kickstarter, dunno if any of the four are on here.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That winter thing isn’t what I’m after at all.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Last Fast forward looks very nice in that red

honourablegeorge

thepodge – Member
    The Last Fast forward looks very nice in that red

I went for red initially and changed my mind. #buyersremorse

steve_b77
    Free Member

To me the Fastforward looks almost like it’s been crashed and the kink in the top tube cut out & re-welded it’s that slack.

The green one at the top has a godawful dropped / kinked chainstay.

The splatter paint one looks bestest

opusone
    Free Member

Pretty… It almost looks like a jump bike it’s so slack.

Gotama
    Free Member

Those Lasts do look good, will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it when it arrives. Personally I’m in the shorter fork camp, 120mm seems perfect on my Swarf, only getting into the last 20mm when I hit something really hard. I’d like to try BTRs Ranger in 29 as Tam designs those around 100mm. It’s not comfy but I hate the diving headtube feeling you get on longer forked hardtails.

Rik
    Free Member

Had 150mm plenty of times on a 27.5 and 26 frames. But with 29 or 27.5+ frames I think 120mm is the sweet spot.

honourablegeorge

I’m used to longer forks, ran my Soul at 140 and loved it, so hopefully this will be all good too.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m more than happy with 140s on my 29er running about 30% sag.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ha, I bought a t-shirt from that very suitcase on the Winter stand. Here’s my muddy buddy:

singlespeedstu

George.
    You can get the Fastforward sent to me if your going to be away and I can test it for you. 🙂

pickle
    Free Member

honourablegeorge

Wow those bikes you’ve posted up are mega slack! the head angle is so slack it looks broken

letmetalktomark

Winter bike looks faintly Nghtstormish. I like 8)

I like that Last bikes bike a lot

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To me the Fastforward looks almost like it’s been crashed and the kink in the top tube cut out & re-welded it’s that slack.

I think it’s the tapered headtube, the angle of the front of it makes it look daft. Where on a more normal bike it follows the line of the rigid forks raked legs. With a 44mm headtube it wouldn’t look quite so silly, skinny tubes on a bike that long don’t help the illusion either.

But really who cares, I bet it rides like a missile!

The green one at the top has a godawful dropped / kinked chainstay.

+1, almost nothing about that bike that’s special to me, and the chainstays ruin it.

Andy-R

That Fastforward must end up with a big amount of trail though, with that slack a headtube angle and with standard offset (48-51mm?) forks. It just looks like it’s going to end up with 100mm + .Are they not a bit wandery and floppy in nadgery stuff and always wanting to climb the sides of ruts? Which is what my experience of too much trail results in.

honourablegeorge

pickle – Member
    honourablegeorge

Wow those bikes you’ve posted up are mega slack! the head angle is so slack it looks broken

It’s only 64 degrees….

pickle
    Free Member

Looks a bit too slack in the first picture but maybe it’s just the way it was taken?

Rik
    Free Member

Only 64 degrees – that’s still very slack for a 27.5 bike let alone a 29er

core

I love steel hardtails, but I’m always drawn to the dirt jump look that you only get on small or extra small MTB frames where the top tube and seat stays run almost parallel to each other.

The Ted James is nice, but the chainstays are gopping. I’m not so keen on the really long forked, super slack hardtails either.

The new Orange P7 looks about right to me.

I’m tempted to try a longer fork (currently 120mm reba) and go 1×11 on my Soul, I just can’t justify full sus at present, but could make the soul a bit more aggressive.

BillOddie

As a confirmed Chromag Fanboi these 2 give me funny feelings in my tummy…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That Fastforward must end up with a big amount of trail though, with that slack a headtube angle and with standard offset (48-51mm?) forks. It just looks like it’s going to end up with 100mm + .Are they not a bit wandery and floppy in nadgery stuff and always wanting to climb the sides of ruts? Which is what my experience of too much trail results in.

That’s why it has a 74 degree seat angle.

opusone
    Free Member

It’s only 64 degrees….

I assume you mean “only”.

My ragley has a 66 degree head angle and is, as speculated above, a weapon downhill. It lives up to its name (ie it’s a pig) uphill though.

carbonjones
    Free Member

Another Fast Forward owner to be, same suggested delivery date, week 17/18, but I’ll believe it when I see it..

Can’t wait to be honest, it should have been well thrashed by now !

honourablegeorge

You going 29 or plus, Mr Jones?

thepodge
    Free Member

My 29er full suspension is running a 66 HA (soon to be 65.5 with offset bush) & my 29er hardtail is running a 67 HA (soon to be 65 once I’ve rebuilt it).

I’m yet to notice any of these “it wont climb” / “it wont corner” / “it’ll flip flop” drawbacks everyone is sure I’ll suffer from. What I do notice is a lot more front wheel confidence.

chiefgrooveguru

I assume you mean “only”.

My ragley has a 66 degree head angle and is, as speculated above, a weapon downhill. It lives up to its name (ie it’s a pig) uphill though.

My modified Bird Zero AM has a 64.3 deg head angle and is fantastic uphill – 75.4 deg seat angle is the reason why! I’m actually thinking of taking the fork out another 10mm to 140mm.

I really like steel hardtails too but now I’m riding an alloy one I’m struggling to notice any difference in ride feel!

thepodge
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – My modified Bird Zero AM

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, do you have any more info or a previous thread on it?

opusone
    Free Member

My modified Bird Zero AM has a 64.3 deg head angle and is fantastic uphill – 75.4 deg seat angle is the reason why! I’m actually thinking of taking the fork out another 10mm to 140mm.

Hmm. It could be my unfitness, or it could be the 72 degree seat angle or it could be the fact that I’ve switched to flats and all the issues (pedal strike, etc.) that go with getting used to them.

honourablegeorge

opusone – Member

Hmm. It could be my unfitness, or it could be the 72 degree seat angle or it could be the fact that I’ve switched to flats and all the issues (pedal strike, etc.) that go with getting used to them.

I’m more than happy going uphill on a 65 degree 160mm full sus with 73.5SA. You can’t really take head angle in isolation, lots of things factor in.

I say “happy” going uphill, but I mean “I sweat and puke and grumble but make it”

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, do you have any more info or a previous thread on it?

It’s nothing too complicated – I’d just been busily designing a custom hardtail when the Zero AM was launched and realised that a -2 deg headset and shorter fork would make it near identical to what I wanted (but alloy, not steel). This was it when freshly built up with my parts:

Since then the cranks have changed from 175mm SLX to 165mm XT and the pedals to Vaults, I’ve raised the bars by 5mm and the saddle height’s gone up a fair bit. There’s a Works Component -2 deg headset in there and the fork is a 130mm Pike. The tweaks add about 10mm to the reach, take 10mm off the BB height, steepen the seat tube by 1.4 deg and slacken the head tube by 1.1 deg.

Bird offer up to -1.5 deg anglesets when you buy direct from them (I already had the Works one) and the Zero TR is longer in reach and chainstay if you want an even longer bike (the XL being 495mm and 440mm respectively). Nicely built frame, great value (especially if you need a full build) and a good platform for doing interesting hardtail things! Great service too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘I do like a steel hardtail’ is closed to new replies.