Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HTC phone.
  • Kuco

How good are HTC phones? looking at getting a Tattoo running Android.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love mine. Had a Prophet (branded for Orange) and now have an Polaris (Orbit II under O2 brand). In a few months I shall get the new HD2.

BUT I like mine running Windows Mobile.
    I admit that Windows 5 is not amazing but it's pretty stable if not super fast on my current chipset. BUT the HD2 with the new WM6 and a new chipset is supposed to be super fast.

I like the idea of android, and am toying with chrome on a netbook, but for my 'phone I need something more mainstream and reliable.

this is an excellent resource:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=19c6ada72240d4060c78dd205446716a&f=542

Dibbs
    Free Member

I like HTC phones, I've had three over the past few years and I'm waiting to see if Orange are going to do the HD2, if not I'll probably buy one sim free.
    Coolsmartphone.com is another source of info.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shoei
    Free Member

Had 2 HTC phones myslef and borrowed a 3rd.
    All of em benifited from having their ROM's replaced by custom ROM's. Made em faster and better to use.
    Saying that, moving from Windows Mobile to iPhone was nice. The UI on iPhone just works where as WinMo can be a right royal pain in the bum.

Android on the other hand looks superb, colleage at work has the first andriod phone and after flashing the ROM is a cracking bit of kit.

Stoner
    Free Member

the new HD2 and WM6 release has a new UI so will fix the rather "desktop" feel of the old WM5 OS

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The phones are, IME, generally fairly reliable.
    Android is, IME, still a little bit in it's infancy. Switching from Windows Mobile was both good & bad at the same time.
    It's nicer to use by far but i'd bet if you make that move there will be some software or user-setting features that you'll miss.
    However, the Android Market is good for getting stuff to much improve the stock apps/functions.

Kato

I have an Android powered Hero and I think it's just about the best phone i've ever owned

Houns

What Kato said

Nainosliw
    Free Member

I got an HTC touch diamond 18 months ago and hate it!

Battery even when new hardly lasted 24 hours.
    Touchscreen inaccurate to the point of nearly unusable, even with stylus supplied, <i>slow</i> too, not even much good as a phone.

The MS sync app doesn't work consistently, so doesn't sync reliably with MS Outlook.

Final blow – I have an Orange email account, the phone was supplied by Orange, but no-one at Orange can tell me how to set it up to receive email from my domestic account.

The one redeeming feature for me has been a neat integrated GPS/Googlemaps app, whihc will hook up to satellites and plot where you are/want to go on GMaps. What a shame the rest of it wasn't as good!

Now- I'm not technical nor am I a phone buff, so I'm sure that someone with more skill could bludgeon the thing into submission. But that's not the point really is it? – why should I have to struggle and stress with something in today's 'plug and play' era.

For me anyway – HTC = horrid, tacky, compromised

Karl33to
    Free Member

As long as its on Android you cant go wrong, the Hero is the one to get though if you can stretch to it.

Vern
    Free Member

I've got he HTC Tattoo and it's an incredible bit of kit. I like the android way allows for everything to be customisable for how you like it.

I had a look at one in the Orange shop and didn't their branding all over the place and the way they had removed all the Google apps – Gmail, GoogleTalk, YouTube etc so I ended up buying mine sim free.

nickname
    Free Member

I have an Android powered Hero and I think it's just about the best phone i've ever owned

Ditto, almost.

The camera is let down by the lack of flash, but other than that it's schweet.

Worth waiting a while though, then you can get your hands on one of the new HTC phones.

HTC Legend: HTC Hero successor specs, picture leak

Taff
    Free Member

wait a little while for the HTC HD2 to be available on your network. It will be the competion for the iphone. The android system is pretty damn good though but as mentioned the cameras let these phones down but then you don't really buy the iphone or htc for the camera abilities

rOcKeTdOg

i have an android Hero, it's brill!

what is flashing the ROM?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have the HTC HD2 from a 16Gb iphone which I sold. Its ++ better and more customisable and BTooth and other things are so much better. Its is sl let down by some small bugs which are steadily being ironed out any hopefully with the v2 firmware out this year it will all be sorted. IMHO I love it more than the iphone esp the huge screen and multitasking Winmo environment and cool camera functions and video etc… the list goes on. I'm not huge into apps so the lack of apps on the microsoft marketplace at the mo doesn't bither me 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hero here and liking alot. Esiest phone I've had to operate, but it's the apps which are the best

Flashing ROM – latest firmware?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I'm with Kato, I've got the Hero running Android. It's the best phone I've had, although the camera is not as good as my N95 I had previously. Supposedly there will be improvements to the camera software when we get upgraded to the next version….

colin@rush
    Free Member

Got a HTC Magic about 3wks ago and really like it, i was trying to get a HTC HD2 from vodafone but they sold out straight away and they are now only available for business customers..
    I really like the android platform and i hear that HTC have a new phone due soonish like a HTC HD2 but on android not windows and that will be an awesome phone…

Kato

Yeah you want to upgrade the ROM to the latest ROM on the HTC website. They provide all the instructions on how to do so. When I upgraded to the new ROM it improved the performance no end

Agreed the camera is pants though! The new ROM didn't fix that much either, although it did stop all the contact pics looking fuzzy

montylikesbeer

I have an HD2, is fantastic, I have got a few free apps for it (the light sabre is a hoot. I use it as a work tool as it is connected to my exchange server for email and single contacts list.

It is fast and stable and I have it on an O2 commercial contract.

Try here for free apps free apps clicky

sportypal is a cracker

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HTC phone.’ is closed to new replies.