Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • HTC Desire, Low disc space.
  • KidDynamite
    Free Member

As title.

I keep getting this notification on my HTC desire and it’s a real PITA.
    I keep deleting apps and now hardly have any, had to remove some I was enjoying.
    I know people on here have this phone and technical knowledge is plentiful so any help with combating this problem is kindly received.
    Sorry if this has been done before but I couldn’t find anything through the search.

Thanks.

Stoner
    Free Member

search for “Apps to SD”.

Various tools, apps and tricks to help you
    http://www.androidtapp.com/tag/saving-android-apps-to-sd-card/

mogrim

Move all the apps you can to the SD card – enter in Settings, Applications, Manage applications. Then select “On SD card” at the top, and for any application unchecked select it and click on “Move to SD”.

Edit: or do what Stoner suggests and download an app that’ll do it for you, but first you might need to eliminate one of your current apps.

fbk
    Free Member

Make sure you’re running the lastest version of Android, then install ApptoSD. It will go through your apps and let you copy as many as possible over to your SD card, freeing up some space.

KidDynamite
    Free Member

Thanks. I do move as many as I can to SD but some don’t let me move them? Will one of these apps move the ones that otherwise seem not able to move?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh can I resist?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh can I resist?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can I?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get an iPhone

(Runs for cover)

funkynick

Have you got a lot of text messages stored? I ended up with several thousand and they all take up space on the internal memory.

I then backed them all up to GMail using SMS Backup+ before setting a limit for how many texts I could save from each person.

That made quite a large difference to the space…

scaredypants

oh, can you move apps to SD cards on your iphone then M_F ?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Would be an idea to find out what’s taking up all the space. It’s unlikely to be apps. MP3s? Videos?

Move some of them off the phone or get a bigger SD card.

motivforz
    Free Member

My internet browser cache was massive. Bearing in mind the on board memory isn’t that big, deleting it made a big difference.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Apps to SD won’t move any apps that can’t be. All you can do is wait until the app developers release an update that allows it to be moved.

KidDynamite
    Free Member

get an Iphone…..must not bite!

Cache cleared, SMS’s limited (had alot!) and one or two apps I missed moved with help of App2SD and things are looking better.

I assumed all my music, pictures etc are stored on the SD card anyway?

I may be looking at a bigger or additional SD card anyway; any suggestions where to get a bargain?

retro83
    Free Member

Rockplough – Member

Would be an idea to find out what’s taking up all the space. It’s unlikely to be apps. MP3s? Videos?

Move some of them off the phone or get a bigger SD card.

If it’s the same as the HTC desire I’ve used it has a pretty small partition for apps, either 256 or 512 mb.

orena45

Root the phone using UnRevoked then you’ll be able to move way more apps to the SD, even ones that A2SD on an unrooted phone can’t shift. Search the XDA or Phandroid forum for the UnRevoked method, it’s really easy.

Cougar

App2SD as others have said. There’s a more permanent fix for this, but it’s a bit of a hack. There’s a -lot- of information and how-tos about this on the Android Forums, I’d suggest reading up on there.

For me, uninstalling the Flash and Facebook updates saved a massive amount of space.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

oh, can you move apps to SD cards on your iphone then M_F ?

Don’t need to – the phone seems to handle it’s HD perfectly well.

😛

Cougar

Just as well, as the iPhone doesn’t have a removable SD. If you wanted to upgrade it, you’d had to have paid Apple another 100 quid for 15 quid’s worth of storage at point of purchase.

To be fair, 16Gb’s plenty for any sort of sensible use. Just, y’know, if we’re all willy-waving there’s pros and cons to both platforms.

duffmiver
    Free Member

tw4t!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair, 16Gb’s plenty for any sort of sensible use. Just, y’know, if we’re all willy-waving there’s pros and cons to both platforms.

Yup there is and I was just being **** for lunchtime fun.

One thing I DO like about my iPhone, though, is that it can claim to be out of memory but still have a little bit left (like a reserve fuel tank) so I can take a picture/video and it will let me – then I can take it back to it’s iTunes dock and permanently save it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just, y’know, if we’re all willy-waving there’s pros and cons to both platforms

Outrageous!

http://www.mobymemory.co.uk anyway.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Apps to SD is all fine and dandy but not really a proper fix, that would be data to SD, it allows you to create a larger EXT4 partition (where your apps are stored when you download them) and eliminates the problems of moving the apps to the sdcard and loosing icons/links etc, it also makes I/O much quicker, check out the link below to a ROM that rocks 😉

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=916417

Cougar

Yup there is and I was just being **** for lunchtime fun.

I know this. (-:

Apps to SD is all fine and dandy but not really a proper fix

There are degress of ‘fix’ varying in complexity and fixedness. Best to start with the easiest rather than installing the SDK, rooting, de-branding, formatting, partitioning, flashing a custom ROM, etc etc, n’est-ce pas?

Cougar

That sounded negative, didn’t it. I’m not disagreeing with you, Brake-neck, just that what you’re suggesting is ‘step 2,’ not ‘step 1.’

Brake-neck
    Free Member

No probs Cougar, get where ure coming from 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘HTC Desire, Low disc space.’ is closed to new replies.