Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Howies co-founder quits, but why?
  • NikNak7890
    Free Member

http://bit.ly/2BkfK9

He tweet'd last week:
    "If you find something you love, you should never sell your love.

When other people own your dream, destiny is no longer in your hands."

So, what happened?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

His canoe sank on the way to work.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why would anyone care what a trouser salesman has to say?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grievoustim
    Free Member

presumably a fall out with Timberland who now own/ part own the brand

ourmaninthenorth

Er, this sort of thing isn't unusual. The pattern is usuaully something like:

Business is founded and grows.

Only way to realise value from business, and get it to the next stage, is a trade sale or VC investment.

Trade sale/VC investment means founder loses control of his baby.

Brand is no longer his "own".

He quits.

hora
    Free Member

I'm guessing its a fake 'Im now going to set up a new brand based on my fake ethics-bollox and charge you £100 for hemp-faux trousers made in China but eco-loving crap'.

Watch this space. Its part of the guerilla-marketing.

'Take your customers with you on a new adventure'.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Probably just got fed up having someone to answer to. Once you are your own boss do you really want to work for somebody else doing the same job?

I should expect he will be back with another clothing company before long. Hopefully their clothes will be a little cheaper.

brooess
    Free Member

grievoustim and Ourmaninthenorth have it.

I had two interviews with Howies a couple of years ago. Personally I found David a bit unfriendly and communications with them a bit chaotic. To be fair I think he was just very passionate and very single-minded about his vision. The deal with Timberland probably limited his ability to do this…

clubber
    Free Member

…but added to his bank balance nicely 🙂

As above, time for a new BS brand I reckon – probably claiming power to the people and other anti-corporate stuff to hook in a new group of buyers who fall for it 😉

hora
    Free Member

As above, time for a new BS brand I reckon – probably claiming power to the people and other anti-corporate stuff to hook in a new group of buyers who fall for it

Exactly. Probably had a restrictive covenant in the contract 'can not start a business that would be classed as a competitor within x amount of time'. times now expired and hes off to start something new- always the way in business. Watch the people who like the 'power to the people' sheep-following. They'll see something else to buy and show totheir friends.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hopefully their clothes will be a little cheaper better

Jamie
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member
    His canoe sank on the way to work.

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

*snigger*

davidrussell
    Free Member

i have two howies merino tops and they are ace. i agree the are pricey but they are good quality. T shirt line went downhill a long time ago though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

T shirt line went downhill a long time ago though.

Agreed – those are what I am basing my comments on to be fair – I went through a stage of buying a load a couple of years ago and they have all long-since been consigned to the duster drawer – badly fitting and random sizing/shaping.

R. Ubbish.

hora
    Free Member

I have two Icebreaker merino tops- one is 10yrs old, the other about 5. Whats your point baw jaws?! Basics should last especially if they are ridiculously overpriced.

finbar
    Free Member

From the link written by the remaining Howies bods:

So David for every t-shirt you packed, every box you shifted, every bill you paid, every word you wrote, every wrist you slapped, every layout you changed, every back you patted, every product you complained about, every person you inspired, you should feel so darn proud.

Sounds a bit condescending i think. Hard feelings maybe?

davidrussell
    Free Member

my point was the howies merino tops are pricey but I think they are good quality. thought that was implicit?

hora
    Free Member

baw jaws- no offence meant. I just dont get why people like Howies. Its conflicting at best.

scaredypants

He tweet'd last week:
    "If you sell out and go corporate, you should have the decency to shut up about it whilst pocketing the cash."
    "When other people own your dream, you'd better get another one to sell on"

Lemurian
    Free Member

Yeah, guessing it must be issues with Timberland. It never really made sense in terms of brand ethos (eco-friendy, anit-corporate, etc..) to accept investment from a huge corporation. Surely it went against everything they stood for? I do like some of their stuff and vaguely agree with their principles but wish they could do it in a less pretentious, "look how cool we are" way. Also wish it wasn't so ridiculously overpriced!

clubber
    Free Member

The brand ethos was to make money by dressing it up in a faux-ethical message (admittedly backed up to a reasonable extent but I'm confident that the driver was the image rather than the ethics). Just look at the founders' background and tell me that's not right 🙂

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I saw an interview with him and his wife back last year sometime I think. It seemed a very double edged interview in that they were saying 'Timberland is great' but it was also combined with an awful lot of 'how do you keep total control of a business you sold to another owner'. I am not surprised if they have quit, as the sulky rebellion was already in writing, so it was just a matter of time. Basic issue very much seemed to be wanting the money and the control – but you only get to pick one in this sort of situation I would think.

scruff
    Free Member

Wales has millions of sheep. Why use NZ sheep and send the wool to China and back to Carnaby Street in the name of Mother Earth?

Utter Hogwash.

davidrussell
    Free Member

hora – sorry, re-read my post and I sounded like a w@nk 🙁

I dont subscribe to the whole howies thing, but I dont think its fair that they get a bashing every time. there are loads of clothing manufacturers out there who sell overpriced sh!t but these guys market themselves (rightly or wrongly) as wearing their heart on their sleeve and being passionate about what they do. some folk will buy into it, some wont. It does come across a bit w@nky to me but good luck to them.

hora
    Free Member

I saw an interview with him and his wife back last year sometime I think. It seemed a very double edged interview in that they were saying 'Timberland is great' but it was also combined with an awful lot of 'how do you keep total control of a business you sold to another owner'. I am not surprised if they have quit, as the sulky rebellion was already in writing, so it was just a matter of time. Basic issue very much seemed to be wanting the money and the control – but you only get to pick one in this sort of situation I would think.

Sadly I've been around the block a fair few many times in life soo far.

I read it as a business deal was done. The old owner (somewhat of a keyman in the brand agreed to be kept on for a specified period) until the transition is safe enough that the established customer base doesnt leave. Restrictive contract conveyance preventing old owner setting up a rival brand for a certain period expires and marketing-savvy old owner sends out vibes that are easy to be construed by established customer base. Sorry, Im really cynical but business is business.

chimptastic
    Free Member

Scruff – something I recall from a drunken conversation about merino. (Yes that does make me sound a little odd, must be the Welsh blood) Is – these fancy dan merino sheep can only thrive in NZ. So breeding them over here isn't viable but I could be wrong. Any sheep breeders out there?

Re the ts I've had similar probs. Used to rave about them but recent purchases have left me a little disappointed on the quality. And the Sundown jacket I bought, I got a hole in the pocket in less than a week. But as it was a sale item couldn't be bothered complaining.

ourmaninthenorth

There are lots of buisinesses that try to sell on the "we're your friends" schtick – ST is a glaring example. Do not forget that people are in business to make money, and if they do so from a certain set of principles, then that's better than not having them, but just because Howies – like ST, or Innocent, or a host of others – market themselves in a chummy way, doesn't mean that they are not in it to make money.

I have no problem with the Howies marketing approach; it doesn't irk me, and neither does it ensnare me. I don't object to people running businesses on ethical lines – surely it is better than not doing so? And no-one is perfect – we can pick holes in everything. Everything is a compromise. But I would rather have the option of having ethically sourced merinos than no option at all.

Timberland, though undoubtedly a large business, does have an ethical streak to it (they are quite proud of the CSR work they do, and require their employees to take part in the same), and rather more so than most other clothing businesses. That's why the Hieatts were apparently happy to sell to Timberland.

It is not unusual for the sale of a business of this type (i.e. built from scratch by the then owners) to have, as part of the deal, a significant transitionary period, whereby the original owners are retained – effectively as consultants – to manage this transion with the new owners. It is cost effective for the new owners to pay handsomely for this, while still spending an awful lot less than they would do on change management consultants.

And, of course there would have been restrictive covenants. That's normal practice in any transaction. Most are unenforceable, but that doesn't make any difference.

Hieatt will find it hard to let go, but he has shown entrepreneurial spirit once, and so will likely do something again. Whether his next business projects bring in new consumers, or take from Howies, will entirely depend on what he does. My suspicion is that he won't go into the clothing business in a big way, but will probably pursue something else.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That fact that you're all talking about this means that Howies has had a certain amount of impact… Is that a little bit of jealousy in there too?

Good luck to him and his next venture, whatever it is.

hora
    Free Member

That fact that you're all talking about this means that Howies has had a certain amount of impact.

So does Coca Cola and McDonalds. Doesnt mean you will buy their products.

noteeth
    Free Member

Is it possible to run out of clichés?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Made you post though
    ooops and me

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So does Coca Cola and McDonalds. Doesnt mean you will buy their products.

That's gotta be one of the pooerst compariosons I've ever read……… 😐

IanMunro
    Free Member

Damn straight!
    Pepsi and Burger King then 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Howies are a classic case of eco-greenwashing to make people "feel better" about their rampant consumerism.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Chimptastic – I asked the same thing on a fram trip in the Borders (I was there with the kids, honest 😉 Got a similar answer that Merino weren't suitable to the UK though can't remember why. It might have been something to do with the very low value of wool (even if it is Merino) but can't really remember.

Lovely helpful lass at the farm tho' – Cream o'Galloway (around Dumfies-ish), well worth a visit with the kids 😉

petestuart
    Free Member

I won't join in with the howies bashing as I feel like it happens on here once every other week or so, and its always the same arguments..

My understanding it that David Hieatt quit for reasons over the Timberland part-ownership. In an interview with the Times he said they still had full creative control, but apparently not enough if he quit!

From his tweets since leaving it sounds like he's moving into denim production, although i thought he couldnt work within fashion for a year. He mentioned seeing a patent lawyer on twitter so perhaps developing a technical fabric?

At any rate his wife still remains at howies so he still has a fairly direct involvement. Someone I know who'd spent time at howies speculated that he planned on being away for a year in order to raise funds to buy howies back…

I for one am very intersted to see what he does next and will no doubt be sucked in and 'along for the adventure!'

hora
    Free Member

Maybe not the best comparison but like those brands they all want to create a feel-good feeling in their punters whilst making more money.

Howies are a classic case of eco-greenwashing to make people "feel better" about their rampant consumerism.

BANG to rights. Personally I dont have a softspot for any brand. I'll buy anything thats good quality and well priced. People who revisit one brand as they feel an affinity need to look at their souls and how deep their convictions really are.

Saying all this I have am a self-confessed Santa Cruz whore.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That fact that you're all talking about this means that Howies has had a certain amount of impact.

So – you think there is no such thing as bad publicity? Unless people are generally disappointed in your products so the don't recommend them so no-one else buys them so their customer base shrinks so they lose money so they go out of business.

If I had heard loads of responses saying how great Howies are now, I might have considered buying their products again but few are and I won't be.

So not very good impact ehh?

ourmaninthenorth

Personally I dont have a softspot for any brand. I'll buy anything thats good quality and well priced. People who revisit one brand as they feel an affinity need to look at their souls and how deep their convictions really are.

Saying all this I have am a self-confessed Santa Cruz whore.

You are a genius, hora. 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

If you think their clothing is expensive, check the f***ing hotel thingy they've got. Can't find the link, maybe he's going to concentrate on that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Howies co-founder quits, but why?’ is closed to new replies.