Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to repair stairs?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I'm about to replace my stair carpet so I thought now is a good time to repair the last 13 years of abuse by children jumping up & down the stairs rather than walking(yes I'm a grumpy old man).
    There not gone, just creaking & a bit loose, my thoughts were to just re nail them down & maybe get a vat of wood glue to put between each plank.

Is there a better way, or is replacement a better option?

Many thanks in advance.

singlecrack
    Free Member

It will prob be the wedges under the treads that need the most glue and fixing if you can get to them

andybach
    Free Member

2nd the wedges.
    If you can get under neath them, i used a combination of screws and some flexible no more nails stuff to fill up any gaps i could get to; seems to have worked ok, plus good underlay.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I'll see if I can get axcess when they have told me when the carpet is coming, I don't want to strip the old stuff off until a few days beforehand., if not glue & srew it will be…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Squeaking is usually due to a nail moving in wood, or occasionally wood against wood. Redoing the wedges will be good and anywhere you isolate a squeak, pilot hole and screw it down. Not sure there's any need for glue.

whytetrash

Nah fella…you can't do it from the carpet side….you have to get at them from underneath to sort properly…usually needs boarding stripping off.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Not sure there's any need for glue

I thought talc worked, as in it got down the cracks & crevasses & filled them up, I thought glue would be a longer term solution?

I don't really want to strip the underside of the stairs as I can see that leading to a lot of work 🙁

andybach
    Free Member

Talc will work short term but wont last long.

Careful checking and screwing down from the top side will make a big difference like darcy says.

A friend who couldn't get underneath his stairs used PVA glue and watered it down until he could squirt in every crack he could find – worked well apparently.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

That sounds like a plan, a lot less work 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How to repair stairs?’ is closed to new replies.