Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • How to kill a pigeon?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There’s a pigeon in the garden that looks like its wings are broken, ie at funny angles and its not moved for 10 mins. What’s a quick humane way to dispatch the poor thing?

I have access to a large spade, a small blunt axe and large stones…oh and an angle grinder, drill and circular saw.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re certain it needs to be dispatched then isn’t just necking it the norm?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

snap its neck. you’ll probably pull its head of mind 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t throw stones at it because I put my shed window thro with a poorly wanged stone at a pigeon once!! 🙄
    Oh and fwiw neck twist and yank is best.

jota180
    Free Member

just neck it – but don’t pull its head off

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Dislocation of the neck or cranial concussion

both are quick and humane

mrjmt
    Free Member

I watched this episode of peep show the other day!

“no tea for the beast master he feasts on the blood of his prey”

Taff
    Free Member

Bicarbonate of soda with some bread… 😈

Snap it’s neck or use an axe.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Zulu, +1.

If it’s otherwise healthy, it’s an ingredient. No need to waste it. 😉

skywalker
    Free Member

Put its head on the floor, place a branch over its neck, stand on the branch and pull the body.

brakes
    Free Member

get next door’s cat/ dog/ ferret/ eagle to do it

Basil

A rather less gruesome method is to squeeze the birds chest for a few minutes. The birds lungs are very small and the bird will be unconscious in 20 secounds and then asphyxiate rapidly.
    Please don’t pull it’s neck unless you have some idea! (messy endings)
    Easiest method put it under a cloth and hit it with a heavy object. Do not look under the rag after this,just put all in the bin.
    Please don’t leave it to starve or be eaten alive by cats or rats,

Muke
    Free Member

Happy memories…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dexQhvczVeM&feature=related[/video]

mattsccm
    Free Member

An efective neck pulling method is to grab legs. Quickly ( for humane reasons) stand on head and pull legs. 2 seconds . Head will be loose now. Method taught to me by game keeper for dealing with very flapping pheasants. Quicker than just stretching things a bit.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

My mate Stuart , when we were at school threw a load of bread down in the town centre in front of the town hall. Then shot a ball bearing into the pigeons with a black widow. Obviously killed one. then left the dead pigeon on a teachers doorstep in a shoe box.

Got expelled for it.

Thats all

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Margin, My mate Stuart……ha ha…. Which school did you get expelled from ?

andywoods
    Free Member

smack it over the head with the frying pan then straight in it

IanMunro
    Free Member

Lay a trail of bird seed to tempt it to the edge of your house, then clamber up onto the roof and drop an anvil or piano on it.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

Lay a trail of bird seed to tempt it to the edge of your house, then clamber up onto the roof and drop an anvil or piano on it.

Ala Road Runner cartoon LOL !!!

dashed
    Free Member

What sort of a gamekeeper stands on a pheasants head and pulls it’s legs??? 🙄

Having dispatched many pigeons (and other game), the quickest, most humane and cleanest way is to simply grab it by the wings and crack it over the head with a priest (or shaft of a hammer etc will work fine). Pigeons tend to tuck their heads in though, so watch you don’t catch your knuckles!

I had a squab (baby pigeon) in the garden the other night, must have got caught out in a heavy shower and was soaked through and didn’t look like it would make it through the frosty night. Quick knock on the back of the head and all done in seconds without the mess of blood spurting everywhere (which happens if you pull its head off).

Drac

What dashed said but push your dinger up it’s arse if it tucks it’s head in it soon make it’s neck stick out.

RustySpanner

Have you tried reading it one of the pro/anti religion threads?

gwaelod
    Free Member

mate They do this all the time ….it’s just pretending to be wounded … trying to draw you closer…when you get within range it will strike.

transapp
    Free Member

dinger!?!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

As a teen I once had to dispatch an injured rabbit in the back field.

Being a bit squeamish about necking it I got a spade from the shed to take it’s head off and in height of the moment missed and chopped its ears off.

At that point it squealed and hearing the noise our tabby cat shot out of the hedge and did the job for me.

You may have better luck with a pigeon as they don’t have ears.

ac505
    Free Member

Our old cat was a nasty little blighter and often (read pretty much always) brought animals into the house in various near death states. I always used a garden edger as my preferred dispatch tool. Light enough and accurate enough to remove head in one go. Never any complaints from the animals so I assume they felt it was suitably humane

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Is it dead yet?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Taser?

Kryton57

You can hire me. Once I shot a pigeon sitting at the top of a tall tree at 100yrds+ with a .22 air rifle, standing on a windy day.

Yes, me and everyone around me were surprised at the resulting puff of feathers, and I’ve never felt so guilty in my life.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Tut tut

mattsccm
    Free Member

No body said a keeper did such a thing!
    I was told that that was a good way to do it if you couldn’t grasp the head and needed to dispose of a bird quickly/humanely.

avdave2

I once witnessed with my own eyes a pigeon killed by a fragment of clay pigeon. The guy who’d shot the clay was quite upset as he’d no intention of ever shooting at anything alive.

rob2
    Free Member

I came home once from the pub and found a pigeon on my settee. It had fallen down the chimney then shat on the carpet.

I was right p&ssed about it so I caught it in a cardboard box.

Took the box outside and jumped on it till it was flat.

Lifted the box up expecting to see a dead pigeon instead it was fine and just flew off!!

The Derren brown of pigeons!

Think I was on Stella that night 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

2 guys from work on the way home one day along the cycle track passing through Royal troon golf course, came across a rabbit in a stste of distress, reckon it’d been run over by a previous cyclist.

After much discussion, it’s decided to put it out of it’s misery.

Big fella takes a step back to have a right good kick at it’s napper. Other guy just turns round in time to see dad, mum and 2 kids coming round the corner and witnessing two grown men standing, and one kicking a poor wee innocent rabbits head off!.

Scarred for life….

anagallis_arvensis

I was once mucking out a bull pen when som damn pigeon kept trotting about went to shoe it away with the fork, hit its head which then fell off. Made a right mess, i suggrst you smack it hard on the head and hope it doesnt fall off.

iridebikes
    Free Member

hhmm only ever killed a rabbit like this
    it had mixxy, and was in a bad state I just wacked it over the back of the head with a spade. Poor bugger

tinribz
    Free Member

Ex-gamekeeper from another life, pulling the neck is good for rabbits but you are more likely to pull the head off a bird. If there is a hard surface near by quickest easiest is to whack the top of it’s head on it. Alternatively, use a priest / cricket bat, or if you are completely devoid of empathy use your thumb to crush the scull.

stuarty
    Free Member

Or if your a coward fire it into next door using shovel

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I once saw someone dispatch a Wigeon with the skull crushing technique above – using their mouth.. crunchy..

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Is it dead yet or is it still flapping about the garden ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘How to kill a pigeon?’ is closed to new replies.