Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How to keep my feet dry?!
  • matther01
    Free Member

Looking for ways of keeping my feet dry out on the trail.

I only run flats and can’t seem to find any decent overshoes big enough to fit my AM41’s (which let in shed loads of water).

I was thing knee length sealskins socks would help.

Any suggestions anyone?

jonba
    Free Member

Give up? Why do you want dry feet. Try keeping them warm instead.

matt_outandabout

Change your shoes – some GoreTex lines mid boots like these are ace to ride in in winter:

Accept you are going to get wet, with any shoe, and buy a decent pair of merino socks as well.

Kryton57

What jonba said. Its almost inevitable they get wet any way. Lake winter shoes and sealskins are the best I can do, feet always warm albeit damp.

matther01
    Free Member

This sounds daft, but the sensation of the water moving between my toes when pushing down on my pedals is much like someone hating nails scratched down a blackboard.

Don’t mind the cold feet, just the horribly sensation!

Del

goretex socks. wiggle, less than 30 quid. very ace.

jonba
    Free Member

fair enough. I’d look for a cheapish set of light weight goretex boot. Even goretex doesn’t stop water getting in the top.

Maybe see what chillcheater do, they might do long socks?

therag
    Free Member

Used seal skins on the last few rides, totally useless!
    Just fill up with puddles. Back to wool for me.

Del

the gore socks have a pretty snug ankle cuff. stops it just pi55ing running in there. if it’s biblical and you’re out for ages nothing will stop it, but my goretex allow my feet to breathe and also water that gets in, can get out, but not back in.

Simon

Only way I’ve found to keep my feet really dry is Sealskinz and full length waterproof trousers, but it’s hard work pedalling and only worth it if it’s proper cold and chucking it down/snowing.
    For most wet conditions I like Sealskinz sure they let in water after a while but the water warms up much like in a wetsuit.

Del

Sealskinz sure they let in water after a while but the water warms up much like in a wetsuit

i’ve heard plenty say this, but it certainly does not ring true with my experience of sealskinz. once mine had water in them my feet were **** freezing and i had a bucket of cold water sloshing back and forth around my feet. YMMV. 😀
    i genuinely have no idea why they are so popular. their design is flawed and they fail.

Sandwich

Wear a dry suit. Anything with a hole in it to put a body part through will leak, especially if the body part is hairy like a leg or arm. Warm and wet is the way to go.

jonba
    Free Member

For most wet conditions I like Sealskinz sure they let in water after a while but the water warms up much like in a wetsuit.

neoprene socks work just like this for a fraction of the cost.

momo

I used seal skins for years and while they’re okay, there not a patch on proper winter boots!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    duner
    Free Member

Knee high seal skins under tights work really well, water tends not to splash up high enough to run inside. Bought some last winter with some Specialized defroster boots(one size up from normal) and stayed warm and dry in all conditions. Used extra wool socks under the seal skins when it was proper cold.

Definitely one of my favorite purchases!

kayak23

hzururbe12
    Free Member

a spair pair of socks is good.I always run Globe skate shoes with V8s super grip.If your are going through really boggy carrying sections take your shoes off and put them in your backpack until you reach somewhere drier.

Lummox

I suffer from my feet getting painfully cold if they get wet, I’ve used multiple combinations of merino/sealskins/ specialized defrosters and overshoes and I was still failing till…..

Cheap pair of waterproof gaiters!

Fit onto the top of my shoes and seal the top of them from the water being shot onto my shim from where it hits the downtube mudguard.

Never going to win any fashion awards but fit with knee pads perfectly.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I have tried Garneau (the earlier versions) which were so utterly useless they were actually amusing?

Goretex socks, these are better and do keep out the puddle splash but as others have stated will not prevent water p33ing in from above; does help if they’re tight. Also, I have found my feet/socks quite damp from sweating using gortex socks + toes still get cold due to lack of insulation – tight fit compounds this.

The ‘best’ option i have found to date are merino socks and a pair of Shimano MW 80s. The ‘wet suit’ cuff seems to provide a bit of a buffer to retard the rate of soak-age moving down the sock (helps if your sock is not showing above the cuff).

Funny, in the 15 years of walking (UK) in the hills I never used goretex (foot related) products- I suppose the movement maintained foot temperature….which is the main problem for bikers.

If it were me, I would not p1ss (no pun intended) about, save up and get a pair for MW’s. They’ll keep you warm, dry(I don’t know the limit on this aspect, say light to medium splash/rain)and are SO much better due to the reduced post ride faffing which is inevitable when using gortex socks.

Good luck with it, if you find the ‘Holy Grail’ of dry warm feet in any condition please post back 😆 😛

argoose
    Free Member

If you don’t mind the cold but hate water sloshing around, the only solution is flip flops.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I am having the same dilemma, I bought some sealskinz and they are a pile of shite,. Unless you shin area fits the sock perfectly the water goes in them but can’t get out. I knew they were not waterproof but bloody annoying when you ride along with a sock full of water.

hzururbe12
    Free Member

leather impragnating spray for your favourite skate shoes.I agree nothing worse than soggy numb feet for riding and in subzero conditions your wet shoes can actually freeze up on the inside if your feet are cold enough.

user-removed
    Free Member

Army Goretex boot liners off ebay for about a tenner (if you can get them in your size) paired with hiking boots of any flavour (like Matt’s suggestion above?) has always worked for me, as well as anything else.

Keeps your feet toasty on snowy rides and whilst your feet will still get wet, they’ll at least be warm, and not as wet.

Just don’t try walking in them as they’re a funny shape and tend to bunch up.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How to keep my feet dry?!’ is closed to new replies.