Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • how techy is the Monkey at Cannock ? using the patented techometer
  • tobyho
    Free Member

Using the following techometer please advise how tech the Monkey trails at Cannock is _

CYB (Dragonsback Beast etc) – 8.8 /10
    Afan (w2)- 7.7/10
    Langdegla (red) – 5/10
    Thetford (black) – 3.2/10
    CwmCarn (red) – 7.4 /10
    Follow The Dog Cannock – 5/10

Please advise.

scruff
    Free Member

5.5/10
    8/10 if you take the short black options.

rocketman
    Free Member

the Tacks Blast bit of Follow The Dog is a good sampler for the Monkey. The Monkey is not that technical but the sections are longer so it’s more demanding. Personally I find the middle bit irritatingly slow and nadgery but the first part and the Upper/Lower Cliff descents are a blast.

trailmonkey

sorry, but i’ve got to ask, why on anyones techometer would these results occur ……………

Afan (w2)- 7.7/10

or even……..

CwmCarn (red) – 7.4 /10

I’m not sure i understand what people are defining as technical.

Scamper
    Free Member

Add on the werewolf at Cannock and its 11/10.

tobyho
    Free Member

sorry, but i’ve got to ask, why on anyones techometer would these results occur ……………

Afan (w2)- 7.7/10
    or even……..

CwmCarn (red) – 7.4 /10

sorry. it’s just me being a proper mincer. maybe CwmCarn should be a 6 actually. there’s nothing techy there.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Techometer in need of recalibration I think. 😆

trailmonkey

maybe CwmCarn should be a 6 actually. there’s nothing techy there.

shouldn’t that be a zero then ?

in fairness, cwmcarn does have some nice techy bits on the climb but i can’t think of too much on the descents.

either way, compare it to say ullswater singletrack or lustleigh cleave and 7.4 might seem a little overstated.

Bregante

CYB (Dragonsback Beast etc) – 8.8 /10

. 😯

prezet
    Free Member

Some of the gulley decents at Cwmcarn are a little technical. Well, they seemed it to me on a BFe – had to pick some lines more carefully than others.

Afan’s Whyte trail is quite technical throughout imo.

toby1

There’s only really 2 things you’ll notuce if you have ridden a few welsh centres, there is one rocky lumpy ‘garden’, fairly steep but rideable and as mentioned above the werewolf which is tricky as it’s between trees and looks like quite a drop from the edge, it’s possible to roll though (I say that based on a mate rolling it) I walked it as there was a kid stood at the top of it when I got to it, assumed there was a bike/person below so got off to walk then didn’t fancy an audience attacking it from a standing start.
    7.5/10.

Just go and see how you find it, there’s nothing worse than whites (with the black section) in there.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The black section of the Monkey that starts with a big (nearly chainring catching) drop on a bend seems to be more techy than the three people behind me seemed to be able to cope with as apparently they all crashed on the first drop! (as told by my partner who opted to go on the fun but not so devestating red option) Have a go, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

jedi

MentalMickey
    Free Member

None of the stuff like drop off’s etc.. are big but are cunningly placed just before trees either side of the trail, making getting the line right more important than the same drop off in an open area.

It’s mainly just a red graded route with a few black options side shows, if I can ride it, so can you.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve heard that you can only define that Cleave place as technical if you get loaded up on dairy products and pasties and ride it on a hardtail with one shoe off and one shoe on…

trailmonkey

i hear its a place that destroy’s both soles and souls

yunki
    Free Member

not 456’s yet though thankfully… although I distinctly remember muttering a couple of silent prayers yesterday..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Bregante +1

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘how techy is the Monkey at Cannock ? using the patented techometer’ is closed to new replies.