Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How often do you get your fork serviced/bushings replaced? Is 16 months 'short'?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I am using a Magura Menja fork at the moment and am quite happy with it in terms of performance. I last had it serviced about 16 months ago, but the bushings are getting a little sloppy already. Probably a bit more life in it yet, but likely only a few months.

So I was wondering, is this normal? How do other forks compare in terms of service intervals?

I have never really owned a ‘high-end’ Rockshox/Fox. I had a RS Tora once, and that seemed pretty bomb-proof.

iainc

every 12 months here. Some will say that is too often, but so far mine last well. Every ride I wash the bike, dry and wipe off the stanchions with a soft towel and give a liberal squirt of Fork Juice onto both stanchions and pump it a bit. I don’t do DIY lifting of the seals/foam though as I reckon I’d end up scratching something. Fox 32’s and Reba’s

trail_rat
    Free Member

the mrs fox f100 floats lasted 10 months before needing serviced – rebound rod snapped – shes not a heavy nor a hard rider so dread to think what id have done to them !

my rebas have had oil changes but never a new set of bushes nor seals – in 6 years – my sids lasted 6 months before new lowers , seals , internals ….. but that was a warrenty issue

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sounds about ball park for a service. Were the bushes replaced at the last service? They’re not normally done unless they need it. How old is the fork in total?

poppa
    Free Member

Interesting. The Maguras are very ‘plush’, but I have a suspicion that means they use a larger (looser) tolerance on the bushings that makes them wear quicker.

EDIT: Yes, the bushings were replaced last service. Total age of fork is probably about 2 years. Bought second-hand, bushings replaced immediately.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve never replaced fork bushings or had them done. Lower leg service (a 20 minute job) happens every couple of months. Damper/spring service once a year.

RS forks for the most part.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Jon Edwards +1.

A mix of Fox (although not these days) Rockshox and Manitou.

I have had TFT adjust a couple of sets of bushes so they fit the stanchions a little better.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The bushings on my 2010 Rev’s seem to have worn out in < 12 months from new! Bit dissapointed since it costs a fortune to get them replaced/resized and you can’t do it at home.

Last set were 3 years old when i sold them and bushings were fine.

Front rear shock service easily comes in at > 200 quid. With wheel bearings, pads, drivetrain etc.. it costs more than a car to service!

Has anyone worked out a pence per mile calculation?

lardman
    Free Member

I ride a set of pre-2008 Marzocchi’s, so i only have to service them every decade.
    2005 Z1’s, one oil change, and one bushing change. Still riding buttery smooth.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My Menja’s are abotu that old, but I’ve only ever changed the oil and cleaned them out ever ~4 months, and a squirt fo fork juice before/after every ride. Just about need new seals now.

mooman
    Free Member

its a nightmare even trying to get the tools to change the fork bushes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

never replaces a set of bushings but I do do the oil change fairly regulalry

yunki
    Free Member

mine was serviced about 24 months ago according to the previous owner.. and I’ve noticed in the last three months that I really really need the bushings done..

hopefully I’ll get round to sorting it this year sometime..

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

well heres the instructions

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95-4012-950-000%20A%2006%20Bushing%20Service%20Guide.pdf?bcsi_scan_4ADE4CA6502C35FB=0&bcsi_scan_filename=95-4012-950-000%20A%2006%20Bushing%20Service%20Guide.pdf

it doesn’t look that difficult, just need the expensive looking tools!
    We need some sort of group buy/loan scheme or something.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How often do you get your fork serviced/bushings replaced? Is 16 months 'short'?’ is closed to new replies.