Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • How not to park in the Lake District…
  • martinhutch

Looks like the farmer at Seathwaite has finally had enough of people parking like dicks…

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/Shocked-witnesses-watch-on-as-cars-damaged-by-tractor-driving-through-them-in-Cumbria-7363f4df-e8e2-4a03-b58c-6a10f8b10df9-ds

Volvo for sale etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have to feel some sympathy for the farmer, That road is a nightmare on weekends…

petec
    Free Member

been going on pistonheads for a while…

Pridds

Reported that they were at a rememberance day service, so whilst my sympathies are with the farmer as this is a right nightmare in the lakes, it seems like nobody wins and everyone ends up looking like dicks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

True dat.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yup a right pita for the farmer. Criminal damage all the same.

whitestone
    Free Member

Nothing new. Many years ago I was I Langdale and the cop was ticketing about a hundred cars that had blocked him in at the end of the valley.

I tried to feel sorry for them but the drivers were all followers of the New Year’s hunt!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Christ, pistonheads seems even more arguey than here! You on there Jamba?.

jekkyl

Oh God don’t read that shitty Barrow shit stain paper from that shit awful town. I hate it when Barrow residents associate themselves with the lake district. **** shit hole.

white101

Saw this on local news last night, if we substitute local farmer causes damage for emergency services needed access to patient…

inconsiderate parking causes all kind of problems.

See also bike lanes.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Peoples parking is getting worse, doesn’t matter where you are in the country.

Nobody thinks if a fire engine needed to get past me, could it? Remberance day or not.

They should be prosecuted and the farmer should be given a medal.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If you read the piston heads thread apparently a farmer had provided a field near to this lane which people could park in for £3 all day but hardly anyone used it. Mainly (and I know it’s a generalisation but we all know it’s mainly true) because Audi/BMW drivers love to show their flash cars off but when it comes to paying for stuff in the countryside they’ll do anything to avoid paying. Same thing happens at trail centres – £5 to pay for a days entertainment and they rock up in a £30k car with £10k if bikes on the top but wil park on or near an access road rather than pay.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Only £10K of bikes?
    #prayforthestockbrokers

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t you get this everywhere though? Me & Mrs EGF were at a local retail park the other day & some woman rocks up in an Aston Martin, parks in a disabled bay, gets out with her pal & bobs off into M&S 10 yards away. No blue badge, nowt.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

I’m with the farmer on this, self entitled selfish idiots who park like that deserve everything they get!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It appears to be criminal damage, but an uncle farms at a tourist hot spot in the lakes so I have no sympathy for the owners of the vehicles; they can make things a nightmare. Absolutely clueless (like half the people who come here seem to be), the fact they could’ve parked in a field for a couple of quid says it all. Tossers.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Told this story before – I used to work in a big DIY store and we had a guy roll up and park in a disabled bay in a newish Ferrari – big money. He wasn’t coming into our store he was going into Next which was our neighbour. Anyway while he was away someone pushed a trolley into his car (wasn’t me and I have no idea who it was) and caused a decent amount of damage which wasn’t unsurprising as he was also parked next to the trolley bay.

He came into our store shouting and complaining and we took great pleasure in explaining that a) it wouldn’t have happened if he’d parked correctly and b) people park at their own risk. After some more shouting he eventually calmed down but was becoming more accepting but panicked – turns out it was his bosses car he had borrowed for the weekend to show off in. Yikes.

frankconway

Bastards, all of them; drivers and car owners in rural areas that is. Farmers exempted in this case but they can be real f*c* arses; having lived in rural north notts for years and had farmers as neighbours and mates I know.
    Some comments ^^^ about ‘expensive’ cars and their owners’ reluctance to pay for parking is spot on.
    More ‘entitled’ a-holes.
    That’s just a response to the post; in truth I couldn’t give a flying *&*& as I don’t behave like an arse when I’m driving or parking.
    In rural areas t’farmer always wins; want your car/family/house splattered with slurry caused by a tractor/sprayer interface malfunction then please piss off the local farmer 😆
    HTH

devash
    Free Member

That’ll certainly be a Sunday to remember for those drivers. 😈

andyl
    Free Member

Sometimes feel like doing this myself when driving the trailer through the village or in the local petrol station when people park in the cross-hatched and double yellow line areas when there is a perfectly good car park.

My real pet hate is the people who see a trailer up the hill and HAVE to overtake it, despite it doing the speed limit and keeping up with traffic. They then squeeze into the gap in front of me and slam the brakes on and get a 4×4 inches from their rear bumper as I can’t lift off the gas or I will lose all the torque and bog down.

When I get my defender it will have a big steel bumper on the front!

mattyfez

Entitled dick parks like a dick and gets all flustered when the car gets dented?

Would that be an appropriate summary?

andyl
    Free Member

oh and people who think it is safe to tailgate a livestock trailer or pull out from a junction right in front of me. Then there are people on tight lanes who drive past a passing place as they are on their phone not paying attention…although I do quite enjoy winding down the window and giving them an ear full when they are wedged along side me after realising they aren’t getting past the trailer and there is no way I am reversing.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Arrrghh yes the shock horror when the inevitable backlash smashes them in the face 😆

ianfitz
    Free Member

wow. I just spent more time than I’d like to admit to reading that thread, and a few others on there.

It was, erm, enlightening. I don’t know many (any actually) people who think like the majority on there.

I did register, but apparently new members aren’t allowed to post as they’ve had some ‘issues’ today.

Oh well, I can wait.

duckman

Not a lot of sympathy for the car drivers, the pics on pistonheads show how barrow it is. Becoming an increasing problem in the Highlands as well, I had a mile reverse in Torridon in October as people had filled the passing places with (mostly) camper vans. Put this one in the lakes to a meeting of dickheads, farmer and walkers.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The farmer might have been angry, and justifiably so.
    But that doesn’t justify damaging people’s cars.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Any Lings cars there?

Superficial
    Free Member

Long running dispute with the farmer vs council re parking (apparently). No action. Farmer takes matters into his own hands. Remember this is someone who works here every day and knows the roads – He had to know the road would be very busy on that day. He also knows what trailers will fit through what gaps. I wonder why he had to use his biggest trailer that day.

Clearly this is a case of dicks vs dicks and no one is glorious here. But I don’t buy the narrative that this was unforeseen and the farmer had no other choice. I might be wrong.

At any rate, whoever is morally right or wrong, the farmer has decided unilaterally to be the arbiter here. It’s vigilante justice and that’s not how a functioning society works.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think I’d have just left a trailer across the end of the road with a note saying I’d be back after I’ve had my tea at 5pm. Alternatively I might just choose to empty the slurry tank 😆

What’s the general feeling on pistonheads? (CBA to visit)

trail_rat
    Free Member

had a mile reverse in Torridon in October as people had filled the passing places with (mostly) camper vans.

Boils my piss Wen folk do that also just pisses everyone off. Horn would be liberally deployed

Also I’m on the farmers side.

Told it before but I had a golf park outside my house with dog walkers from the nearby town.

Suggested it wasn’t a clever place to park and got an earful about how I dont own the road and he pays his taxes.

– yeah what ever mate not my car not my issue

Oh how I chuckled when I was working in my garage and heard a crunch.

Farmer had turned in and his trailer overhang had gone through the golfs window and left a bunch of blue paint.

Mr golf went mental on return and apparently it was me that damaged the car. * Nah sorry mate saw nothing was in my garage*

Onzadog
    Free Member

People have mentioned the possible criminal damage angle, but what about th obstruction of the highway?

The actual default is that you can’t park unless a traffic regulation order permits it. Carriageway parking like that is generally tolerated, but not actually permitted.

RustySpanner

At any rate, whoever is morally right or wrong, the farmer has decided unilaterally to be the arbiter here. It’s vigilante justice and that’s not how a functioning society works.

Never mind, eh?
    Bet they don’t do it again.

tjagain

yourguitarhero – Member

The farmer might have been angry, and justifiably so.
    But that doesn’t justify damaging people’s cars.

Direct action? I bet it never happens again. without people taking the law into their own hands and defying it change does not occur.

Why do you think no one ever parks in cycle lanes in Amsterdam – its because any car parked in a cycle lane will be deliberately scratched by many of the cyclists passing. result no one parks in cycle lanes

Its a disproportionate response by the farmer but understandable IMO. Might have been better just to cover them all with slurry

Coyote
    Free Member

Gotta side with the farmer here as I don’t really see what alternative he had. Can’t reverse and waiting for all the people to come back and move their cars isn’t a possibility either. Guess what folks? Block a road and shit happens.

The sense of self entitlement seems to be growing in this country particularly amongst certain car users. I’d like to think that may bring about a change but no doubt some will side with the drivers, “well they’ve got to park somewhere.” Yes, an authorised parking spot where you won’t block traffic. Arseholes.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

We live in a functioning society?

tjagain

Breaking stupid laws is what has gained us many of our freedoms. Kinder trespass etc etc

RustySpanner

Always amuses me that a certain type of person has to park as closely as possible to the place they’re about to go for a walk or bike ride.

Same knobish attitude of driving round the corner to the gym.

A lot of the ‘lifestyle’ outdoor brigade have little love for or understanding of the places they drive to.

martinhutch

I’m just surprised there aren’t double yellows all the way down one side from Seatoller. It’s a known blackspot for dickish parking.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Little point adding DYLs unless you have the resources to enforce it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘How not to park in the Lake District…’ is closed to new replies.