Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • How not to park in the Lake District…
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m surprised people can’t work out a safe place to park without dyl’s

martinhutch

Perhaps, but it does give thick people a clue that perhaps they shouldn’t be parking there and walking off for the day. I don’t see lots of folk parked straddling double yellows in Langdale.

Clearly expecting common sense to take over isn’t working.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve every sympathy for the farmer, I live near a school and the dire driving by parents really winds me up (the last few years it has gotten much worse). Total lack of police interest hasn’t helped.

Slurry bath would’ve been better, or maybe driving his tractor like a numpty after chucking out time. Getting stuck, taking hours, maybe breaking down etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I suspect the sheer amount of DYLs in the Lakes has not helped in this tbh, ie if there’s no lines then folks assume it’s open season type mentality.

angeldust
    Free Member

Always amuses me that a certain type of person has to park as closely as possible to the place they’re about to go for a walk or bike ride.

Sure, that is usually the case, but here the farmers field for car parking (with a small charge) is actually as close as you can get to where the trails start! There is quite a bit of parking along the road that doesn’t interfere with access. If that isn’t full, it can be preferable to use those spaces on the road, as the farmers field is usually a bit of a bog (it is the wettest part of England).

RustySpanner

How is it ‘preferable’ to block in a farmer trying to do his job?

Park somewhere else and ride to the trails, park and pay in the field provided or go and play somewhere else.

andy4d

Serious question, who ever ends up paying, will an insurance company pay up a) for the tractor driver if it was deliberate or b) the car drivers for parking as they did, or will someone be getting a rather large bill to pay out of their own pocket?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Who says it was deliberate btw?…

Farmer possibly assumed that no one would be that selfish to leave him unable to get through, and trundled through. Tractors are bloody loud ye know… 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

How is it ‘preferable’ to block in a farmer trying to do his job?

Park somewhere else and ride to the trails, park and pay in the field provided or go and play somewhere else.

???
    If that was aimed at me – Read my post again. There are parking spaces along the road that do not interfere with access. Not the verge, actual gravelled parking spaces along the road. I wouldn’t hesitate to use the field if they were full (I tend to avoid the place when it is that busy), but that is what they are there for. Would also be happy to pay to park in those places (it is free though). Understand now?

kilo

From the images the skoda and the Audi are double parked so unless they parked at the same time one has parked legally and looks to have left room for passing vehicles for are all those who are saying the farmer is right happy to have a legally parked car severely damaged?

RustySpanner

???
    If that was aimed at me – Read my post again. There are parking spaces along the road that do not interfere with access.

Not aimed at you, but your post seemed to suggest that if the proper parking places are taken and the field is too muddy to use, then it’s ‘preferable’ to park where these people did.

I think we’re agreeing with other.
    🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

What a sad silly situation.

Quite why folks feel the need to park indiscriminately, thereby not allowing others to use the roads, just shows how selfish they truely are. However, if that damage caused was deliberately then that’s not a particularly nice thing to do and possibly criminal.

Don’t think anyone one wins in this situation, if it was the farmer his stress levels must be pretty high right now and the knock on effects could be very long and drawn out.

As a casual observer it would be good to know what the outcome to this is.

RustySpanner

???
    If that was aimed at me – Read my post again. There are parking spaces along the road that do not interfere with access.

I misread your post, apologies.
    I thought you had suggested that if the proper parking places are taken and the field is too muddy then it’s ok to park where these idiots did.

🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

???

Not aimed at you, but your post seemed to suggest that if the proper parking places are taken and the field is too muddy to use, then it’s ‘preferable’ to park where these people did.

Yes, I think so. As usual, the subtleties of conversation are lost in text. I can confirm that I definitely was not suggesting that it is ‘preferable’ to park where these people did in any circumstance. 🙂

angeldust
    Free Member

I misread your post, apologies.

np. 🙂

IdleJon

Always amuses me that a certain type of person has to park as closely as possible to the place they’re about to go for a walk or bike ride.

Ha, I was muttering about this only an hour ago on my way into work.

There’s an oldish bloke who parks at the end of the cycle lane, blocking the exit from the cycle lane and also causing a bit of obstruction for cars turning into the road it joins. He walks his dog down the cycle lane, adding to the poo levels. I’d put money on him only driving a few hundred metres and not picking up the dog mess. An inconsiderate person doing his thing.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Tjagain, I don’t disagree about direct action/disobedience. A big fan personally!

But this was the wrong way to do it. Blocking the road with the tractor and leaving your mobile number for them to ask you to let them out would work better.
    Maximum inconvenience, but not opening yourself up to being seen to be more wrong than they are

steve_b77
    Free Member

Was the car parked illegally?

tjagain

Fair enough ygh

NZCol

I’m not sure i could condone the actions unless it was a proper accident but as someone who lives with stuff like this every day I get it. What people fail to understand is that while for them it’s just a ‘one off, whack it in here, it won’t be a problem’ he probably gets this all day every day for large parts of the year.
    I live on a narrow steep street with DYLs all down it. The church at the bottom of the road is about 100m away if that. Sundays people park all down the DYLs with barely enough space for a car to pass, it gets very narrow right outside my house where the footpath ends but yet someone decided to park there last year ‘as they were running late’ and they lost the front of their car to a white van. I didn;t see it but I did hear it and they rang my bell later on to try and find out what happened, my answer of ‘Don’t know but surely you looked at where you parked and thought that perhaps it was inevitable’, ‘i was running late’. Riiiight. My sis is a paramedic and comes here a lot for breaks etc when shes in the area, she got blocked in by some genius who parked literally at the bottom of my drive, thaknfully her callout was at the church so she could jog down there ! People simply don’t give a sh1t any more and convenience is king.

wishiwascalledsteve

There has been a long standing, un written understanding with the farmer, that as long as people park on the one side of the road, then he has no problem with it. But obviously he is going to get pissed off when people block THE ONLY access road to his farm.
    Although the farmers action weren’t his best idea, I’m in his side with this one

Stoner
    Free Member

‘i was running late’.

I’ve never understood this defence. So you’re admitting that you have insufficient control over your own life that everyone else must bow to accommodate your own incompetence? Good game, good game.

kayla1
    Free Member

Entitled dick parks like a dick and gets all flustered when the car gets dented?

Would that be an appropriate summary?

Pretty much.

Dickyboy

On the plus side imagine the consternation of the car drivers when their insurance policies go up at renewal, all because of a claim that “wasn’t their fault”

trail_rat
    Free Member

Legal or not every single one has chosen a silly place to park on a narrow road.

The second car on the other side just compounds the issue.

NZCol

My wife just told me that the reason Sundays have improved is he starts his sermon by asking if anyone has parked on the DYLs on our road and if so to go and move your car, on the Lords insistence (his words). He is a very funny man, we did some great snow sledging together last year!.

kayla1
    Free Member

How many of them will be on PCP that they have to hand back unmarked when the time comes? 😆

#schadenfreude #learnthehardway

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How many of them will be on PCP that they have to hand back unmarked when the time comes?

Holy Crap, you don’t think it was Renton’s Skoda do you?? 😯 :mrgreen: 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

This kind of selfishness boils my piss as much as anyone’s, however if the farmer’s usually cool with people parking on one side of the road then it’s bang out of order to go and wreck vehicles on both sides.

And while there’s undoubtedly a level of entitlement and dickishness from the drivers, there’s also probably a good dose of ignorance.

Ironically, the publicity about this may help to educate peeps.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This kind of selfishness boils my piss as much as anyone’s, however if the farmer’s usually cool with people parking on one side of the road then it’s bang out of order to go and wreck vehicles on both sides.

so which side does he choose ? does he flip a coin ? pick the side with the least shiny cars , pick the side with the most expensive cars ?

Dickyboy

I think attaching a rope and dragging each and every car into the nearest muddy field might have been a better lesson for the self entitled parkers but it looks like the farmer neither had the time nor patience

RustySpanner

The side with the most Audis, obviously.

chakaping
    Free Member

so which side does he choose ? does he flip a coin ? pick the side with the least shiny cars , pick the side with the most expensive cars ?

Well I wouldn’t condone damaging any of the vehicles, and I’ve only been to that spot a couple of times, but it’s probable that one side of the road fills up first before lazy **** decide to park on the other side as well. Certainly see that happening at other places.

The side with the most AudisRange Rovers, obviously.

FTFY

DezB
    Free Member

I say widen the roads and build multistorey car parks in the fields. If it’s good enough for down here in the south, then it’s good enough for rainy northern dumps.

footflaps

The farmer at the end on the right lets you park in his field for a few £, was always use that. He also has a very nice brand new £100k tractor….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m just surprised there aren’t double yellows all the way down one side from Seatoller. It’s a known blackspot for dickish parking.

Reported that they were at a rememberance day service

or going to a funeral, or visiting someone in hospital, or just popping into the shops for a few minutes, or just too tight to pay for parking. None of those excuse it.

We should turn the law around. Parking only in marked bays, an offence anywhere else.

donks
    Free Member

Ok whilst I’m sure this example and many others in rural areas could have been avoided with better and considerate parking, we seem to have a very big problem looming with cars and available parking in many towns and cities.
    Everyone owns a car now…. almost
    And many houses with 2 or more and in our Victorian town there was bugger all parking space back when much fewer people had cars, now it’s just insane to the point where people have past caring about access for services and even double yellows or private property signs etc. We have ally way access throughout the town with access to very small gardens off these. The only solution to the parking issues has been people sacrificing whole gardens to provide parking spaces (ok fair enough? Needs must) but this now creates a hideous jam of cars trying to exit small gardens or garages into tight alleys at around the same time each morning.
    I predict a major shake up of traffic management and car or motor vehicle ownership is on the cards in the not too distant future otherwise we will be seeing far worse horror stories than the farmer wrecking a few cars for poor parking.
    Problem is we have all been sold a car lifestyle and many have taken it as there divine right to do as they please…. especially when they have spent insane amounts of cash on a motor vehicle (my employers as an example). This just park more sensibly argument will only work for a while longer as when there is nowhere more sensible to park left then a new plan is needed. As long as there is a mentality of I worked hard for this car so I’m going to use it regardless then the spaces for cars will soon diminish. My employers, their wives and their sons all drive to our work in separate cars (6 of them) yet come from just 2 households…. it’s criminal. Then they have the brass to moan that there’s no available spaces in the work carpark.
    Some serious parking costs or taxes will need to be adopted by local authorities soon to try and reduce car ownership or were all fecked.

martinhutch

The remembrance day stuff is definitely not an excuse, especially as they, in the absence of anywhere sensible to park at Seathwaite, could head up to Honister and walk across to Gable from there probably in less time.

slowoldman

Yes I was guessing it would be the Gable service – so they were going to be gone for some time. Cars parked like that on both sides definitely constitutes an obstruction. I can understand the farmer snapping – he’s got his business to run.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I once scuffed a car trying to squeeze a pushchair past when they had parked on the pavement so I have some sympathy.

The right course of action was probably just to block the road, but then the farmer was working and blocking the road doesn’t get the work done.

The side with the most AudisRange Rovers, obviously.

Now that wouldn’t be fair – the range rovers have probably been forced to abandon their car when it broke down.

How many of them will be on PCP that they have to hand back unmarked when the time comes?

Agency charge of £500+VAT?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘How not to park in the Lake District…’ is closed to new replies.