• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How niche is too niche?
  • Kip

I’ve been offered a new (out of the box) 2015 Rocky Mountain Altitude 770 MSL for a great price on a long invoice so I can ride it over winter then sell next Spring to pay the invoice off and get another bike with similar terms.

Thing is it’s in an XS, cos I’m proper short with little arms.

By next spring it will be over a year old but will still be an XS.

How likely am I to be able to 1) Sell it at all? 2) Sell it at a price that covers most of what I’ve paid.

Is an XS Altitude 770 MSL just too niche to sell (which is why they’re offering it to me, possibly the only XS rider who has shown any interest in it at all?)

Oh yeah, and I’ve never ridden a 150mm bike before and can’t help but feel it may be a touch too much travel for the trails I ride (generally singletrack, local trail centre and occasional trip to Cwm Carn/Afan type places).

Experience of these bikes from little people, ladies, anybody who’s ridden them, you know the kind of thing I’m looking for!

Cheers.

mboy
    Free Member

My experience of selling 2nd hand bikes says that anything at the extremes of sizes will take an age to shift, and you’re more than likely to have to give it away at a price you’re unhappy with.

Fortunately I’m 5ft10 and my own medium sized bikes I’ve never had too much of an issue selling by contrast.

Kip

Yeah, that’s what I’m concerned about. Oh to be that bit taller, hey ho!

CheesybeanZ

On the flip side , just sold an 14″ Five quite easily , plenty of growing teens and ladies out there .

rocketman
    Free Member

OP here on STW you’re asking enthusiasts *cough*

Many people neither know nor care about bikes and sizing. Have sold several to people who’ve bought them because they look nice

Kip

There is a growing market out there but I think the price I’d have to let it go for is significantly less than I would buy it for and I just can’t justify that loss.

I also know people who have bought a bike because it looks nice and not because it fitted! However, as it’s quite an outlay for me I shall be taking my sweet time to decide.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How niche is too niche?’ is closed to new replies.