Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Kids Snowboard Lessons
  • bigbeard
    Free Member

My youngest son (nearly 9) wants to snowboard this year instead of ski when we go away to France in February.

Current plan is for him to have some lessons at the Manchester snow place so that he can at least do the basics before we go away.

In terms of booking ski school when we’re away, looking at the ESF website they have two levels of lesson:

Groomie Rider: Never snowboarded before
    Rookie Rider: Able to change direction either side of the fall line while moving. Able to complete a turn with an uphill swing. Able to stand up and use a ski lift.

I’m not sure how good he is going to be after a few (probably 3) lessons in Manchester. Any thoughts on which ESF lessons I should book him on?

just to add – I’ve never snowboarded so can’t really teach him much.

Bunnyhop

Probably book him into the easiest course and they’ll upgrade him if he’s too good.

In skiing (sorry never snowboarded), we always had to ski down the slope first and the ski school would decide from the little that they saw, which group to put us in.

LD
    Free Member

Impossible to say at this point. He might take to it really naturally and be at the required standard for Rookie no bother. Or he might not! Lift riding will probably be the tricky bit. I suspect rookie will expect him to get on and off chairs on his own which can be quite intimidating for small chaps. If you can take him a few chair lifts beforehand that would help.
    I would wait till after snow place lessons before you book and speak to his instructor there for advice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

If he’s not at rookie rider level after three lessons at the snowdome then I’d be demanding my money back (and maybe giving up boarding)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I wouldn’t demand my money back , but I would expect him after one lesson to be able to falling leaf with a degree of control, and by the end of the third lesson link a turn or two. Also tell him he has made the correct choice 😆

dmorts

Here’s something else to consider, wrist guards. Quickest way to end any snowboarding endevour is a broken wrist. Cue those saying “But they cause injuries further up the arm….”

Some info, which says there is a statistically significant reduction in wrist injury of 85% when using wrist guards. Where as no statistically significant link has been shown for increased risk of upper arm and shoulder injury

ads678

Wow, i remember Dr mike from adrenalin trip forums. I tried wrist guards and didn’t like them, but my wife has always used them. She had some skate style ones, and during a fall she broke her arm at the exact point where the wrist guard stopped.
    This was probably a good thing as she didn’t brake her wrist, and the arm brake was easier to fix.
    She now uses some more flexible ones, RED (burton) ones, which seem to deflect the impact from the wrist without sticking it straight in the arm!!

Personally I still don’t like them and i know i make my choice and take the chance.

As for snowboard lessons, he’s a kids, so after 3 or 4 lessons he’ll be nearly pro!!

dmorts

I tried wrist guards and didn’t like them, but my wife has always used them

I’ve always used them and probably always will…..just in case! Habit more than anything, they’re flexible type ones too

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

he’s a 9yr old lad who can already ski? he’ll piss it. rookie for sure.

alternatively look into some 1on1?

GrahamS

If he’s not at rookie rider level after three lessons at the snowdome then I’d be demanding my money back

Agreed!

(provided they are small group or one-on-one lessons and a decent length – go NOW while it is still relatively quiet and the decent instructors haven’t left for resorts).

As for wrist guards, I’ve never used them in 20 odd years of snowboarding, but my riding buddy does. Each to their own.

I’d say some impact shorts (or just a good old bit of foam) is probably more useful for a beginner as most end up with a bruised arse.

ads678

Impact shorts +10000!

DezB
    Free Member

Better to learn to fall properly than use wrist guards I reckon.

Cougar

Has he done it before?

Groomie Rider: Never snowboarded before

Seems pretty clear to me. Ring the Chill Factore and ask if you’re not sure.

dmorts

Better to learn to fall properly than use wrist guards I reckon.

Learning to fall is good practice but maybe worth wearing wrist guards just in case? Or holiday ends on first day due to kids broken wrist? Happened to my sister.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Any thoughts on which ESF lessons I should book him on?

To be perfectly honest I’d be looking for another school if there is one. My experience of ESF lessons has been less than stellar.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

After 3 hour long lessons in a snowdome it’s unlikely that he will have been on the main slope and used a lift. Which resort as I’m sure we can come up with some suggestions of ski schools as alternatives to the ESF.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m sure we can come up with some suggestions of ski schools as alternatives to the ESF.

Why’s that? Always been excellent in my experience.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

If by feb he’s already been for some lessons in the UK…

Im with Jaffe

You are going to struggle to keep him with you on the piste…. he be off into the pow !!

And impact shorts !?! … He’s 9 not 39 … kids bounce.

But defo a helmet … for you too dad.

GrahamS

And impact shorts !?! … He’s 9 not 39 … kids bounce.

Yeah but they also get bruised and cry.

Nothing quite like a brutal beginner’s butt-slam on an bulletproof icy patch to make sure he is thoroughly put off.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

A school with BASI instructors, preferably dedicated snowboard will provide continuity with the lessons in the dome. I’ve taught/coached snowboarding for years and don’t know what an uphill swing is.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

its getting over that mental block about moving on snow, if he’s already skied a few times he’ll be past that and have the confidence. all the other kids in the Groomie Riders will probably still have to face this hurdle and therefore hold him back.

ads678

Impact shorts are not just for falling on yer arse, they’re also very good for keeping you backside warm whilst you’re sitting in the snow waiting for dad to mince down after you!! 😉

russ295
    Free Member

A school with BASI instructors, preferably dedicated snowboard will provide continuity with the lessons in the dome. I’ve taught/coached snowboarding for years and don’t know what an uphill swing is.

Best bit of advice given. Bad technique at the start is hard to remove at a later stage. I know, I learnt in the early 90’s when it was forward stance and kicking the rear foot around to turn.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I know, I learnt in the early 90’s when it was forward stance and kicking the rear foot around to turn.

My hips are sore just thinking about doing that!

bigbeard
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

We’re going to Flaine – could only find ESF and ESI. Happy to hear any other recommendations.

He’s done 3 weeks skiing previously – only had a few lessons in that time though. He’s pretty confident skiing,
    if not the most technically proficient!

I could be tempted with wrist guards. His salopettes are pretty well padded, so I think they should do. We’ve all got helmets and are happy wearing them.

Tracey

Both our girls learned a few years ago at the half term school they use to have at Castleford Xscape. At the end of the week they were well on their way and once on proper snow there was no holding them back. They were 8 and 6 at the time. It was also the cheapest way at the time. Both of them wore wrist guards and both had broken wrist and arm.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

Hi, sorry for late reply but I drew a blank on recommendations for instructors in Flaine. Do plenty of lessons in the dome – until they feel nice and comfortable, as it’s quite a big step to take it to a real mountain, then ESF or ESI, or whoever else you find. They will love it! Sorry!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Kids Snowboard Lessons’ is closed to new replies.