Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How muddy? Tyre choice for the Peaks…(Not really a 'Which tyre?' thread!)
  • mefster
    Free Member

Up in the Peaks this weekend. Staying in Hayfield, riding locally, Mam Tor, Edale, Jacob’s Ladder.

Just doing final bike fettle. It’s got Bontrager Mud X 1.8’s on at the moment. I’m wondering whether to keep them on if it’s a bit boggy up top or if I should stick something a bit bigger on to give a bit more grip and protection on the rocks.

What’s it like up there at the moment? I know it generally drains quite well but we have seen a fair amount of rain recently.

Hopefully this isn’t really a ‘Which tyre?’ thread!

sambob
    Free Member

What are your other tyres? Big, soft tyres are pretty much perfect for the peaks because so little of it is muddy.

si-wilson
    Free Member

There will be some mud, its wet after all but i would rather something with bigger volume and tougher.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mefster
    Free Member

I was thinking something bigger would be better and kinder to my wheels (ande backside!)

Rustling in my box of tyres: Racing Ralph 2.1 x1, Michelin XC AT 2.0 x2, Specialized Adrenaline 2.0 x1.

Panaracer Fire XC on my other bike. (Not sure if I can be bothered swapping between bikes though.)

Thinking Ralph on the back, Michelin on the front. I’m sure the Michelin measures wider than 2.0.

sambob
    Free Member

Racing ralph should be fine.

Pieface

It is rocky in the dark peak, however it can get awfully muddy in some spotes, especially Mam tor and some bits around Ladybower and don’t get me started on the good descent of Bradwell edge.

Something wide but well celaring will suit.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s sludgy round here at the moment, still rocky, but Mud Xs are okay with that, if a bit low volume. Ideally something like a Minion DHF front and rear.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

You want to try the white peak for mud. Still, crc cheapo wtb mx/stout folding pairing are coping okay so far.

scottidog
    Free Member

I was out around Hayfield last weekend and it was getting pretty muddy with the snow thawing out especially over broad clough above Kinder Res it was axle deep in places.

rustler
    Free Member

Smallblock8’s & clean pants.

MisterT

these are my local trails and you don’t need mud tyres on this side. the mud is peaty, not sticky. Mud tyres are for sticky. Use something knobbly with wide open tread and soft rubber. I use Maxxis Advantage 2.25 or Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 or 2.4.

last weekend rode everything round here on Rubber Queen 2.4’s. it’s been Peaty, Rocky, Slushy, Snowy, wet and mushy…. this weekend is warmer so will still be peaty rocky wet and mushy…. not muddy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How muddy? Tyre choice for the Peaks…(Not really a 'Which tyre?' thread!)’ is closed to new replies.