Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How much to wallpaper a wall?
  • missnotax
    Free Member

I would like to get one wall wallpapered in my house – and whilst I’m a dab hand at painting, I’m not inclined to try this myself! What’s the right kind of ball-park figure to wallpaper one wall? Only about 12ft long so not a big room!

Cheers!!

wwaswas

I’d imagine you;re going to get charged for half a day even if it’s only a couple of hours work. Main thing would be to make sure that whoever’s doing it is happy with both your choice of paper (and the amount bought) and that the wall’s in a suitable condition to paper onto.

Can I do my feminists wallpaper joke now?

How many men does it take to wallpaper a bathroom?

Two, but you have to slice them really thinly.

I’m here all week

Rockplough
    Free Member

In true STW tradition – but speaking as someone who was shown how to wallpaper a couple of days ago – I’ll say do it yourself. It really is quite easy if you’re careful.

johndoh
    Free Member

£100ish I’d say, depending on location

Drac

Painting is harder than papering it’s really not a dark art and as it’s one wall a perfect opptuniy to practice.

johndoh
    Free Member

I you do decide to paper it yourself, one word of caution.

Do *NOT* use paste the wall rubbish, it is not easier, it is stupid, hateful and falls off.

CRAP

bigh
    Free Member

wwaswas is spot on, personally I would charge half a day otherwise its not worth it. anything from £60-80 would be a good guess assuming you’re supplying all materials.
    As for doing it yourself then if you haven’t already chosen the paper, go for the new paste the wall variety as it’s much easier to use.

missnotax
    Free Member

How many men does it take to wallpaper a bathroom?

Two, but you have to slice them really thinly.

Ha ha!!

Thanks all! Regarding all the DIY comments – yes, possibly I should give it a go but I’m not. It strikes me as one of those jobs you probably need 4 pairs of hands to do, plus would take me a lot longer than a few hours!!

Quite honestly I would rather pay someone else £100 to do it, and go ride my bike instead 🙂

edd

Thread hijack – does anyone know any good wallpaperists in London?

the-muffin-man

If its only one wall it may be cheaper/easier to get someone in.

Especially if you have to buy a pasting table, paste brush, brush to smooth down, little roller thing, decent scissors etc.

Have you got any friends you could offers a few beers and a bit of cash to?

the-muffin-man

Thread hijack – does anyone know any good wallpaperists in London?

MPs are good at papering over things – and they always like a bit of extra cash!

johndoh
    Free Member

go for the new paste the wall variety as it’s much easier to use.

hahahhahhahha

No it isn’t, it’s bloody awful and doesn’t stick – I just papered a wall with it (freshly lined so a perfect surface) and, despite slapping paste on heavily, it is coming away along most edges.

Marin
    Free Member

80 pound depending how far the decorator has to come. Get gear out van, set up, size wall, paper, pack up go, its a day whether jobs only half day really.
    Paste the wall stuff is good but not onto lining paper silly boy 😉

ransos
    Free Member

If its only one wall it may be cheaper/easier to get someone in.

Especially if you have to buy a pasting table, paste brush, brush to smooth down, little roller thing, decent scissors etc.

Good point. I’d say that papering isn’t any harder than painting (if you are methodical and take your time) but probably not worth buying all the tools if you’re not planning to use them ever again.

johndoh
    Free Member
    Marin
    Free Member

But the proof is in the peeling. Your practical research should now be telling you it isn’t.

johndoh
    Free Member

I would agree, save that I haven’t done a controlled test by papering another section of wall in the same conditions that wasn’t lined beforehand.

😉

Marin
    Free Member

Good point, size it first it’ll be fine. Its not as good as pasted paper though but easier to correct mistakes as your hanging. If its something you do once in a blue moon its the way to go. Get a small tube of PVA glue and brush to stick your corners back. Only works if you’re listening to a paint spatterd radio at the same time.

johndoh
    Free Member

Good tip thanks.

Next time I am going back to my favoured ‘normal’ paper though. I was distraught at it not working well as papering is the one DIY task I consider myself good at and enjoy.

Neil-F
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    go for the new paste the wall variety as it’s much easier to use.

hahahhahhahha
    No it isn’t, it’s bloody awful and doesn’t stick – I just papered a wall with it (freshly lined so a perfect surface) and, despite slapping paste on heavily, it is coming away along most edges.
    I papered my living room with “paste the wall” paper, that was acouple of years ago and not one corner has come loose. Your must be doing it wrong. 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, it seems putting it on lining paper (despite research saying it was okay) seems to be my problem.

Marin
    Free Member

That and not having the Jackson Pollock radio tuned into Radio 2. I would say Radio 4 but it seems to freak out the sparkies I work with.

skiprat
    Free Member

We were charged £50 last year to paper a wall (south yorkshire). Small depth chimney breast and fireplace fitted. Was there about 2 1/2 hours. You can’t see the joins and he did the tricky bits round the fireplace really well. Very happy with it.

Well worth it for me as i can’t paper.

bigh
    Free Member

Lining paper is the perfect surface for any paper to adhere too.
    But.. it can suck up the paste and leave edges dry if you’re not used to it. Sod it there’s too many variables, get a man in 🙂

sausagefingers
    Free Member

bigh – Member

Lining paper is the perfect surface for any paper to adhere too.
    But.. it can suck up the paste and leave edges dry if you’re not used to it. Sod it there’s too many variables, get a man in

ha,there speaks the truth.I won’t do any papering without the lining,doing a job tomorrow which means going back Sunday to paper but I know it will be right and no come-backs.Use a tub adhesive with paste the wall paper and usually the instructions will tell you to use less paste than normal,don’t larrup it on,use a short hair roller.Once you start a wall though you have to finish it soon as possible.Get radio 2 on and get on with it 😀

sausagefingers
    Free Member

oh, and most important of all turn the heating off and leave it off

onehundredthidiot

Guy who did my plastering last year. Said his mate charged £15 a drop regardless of length for patterned paper.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

£15 a drop! Bet he’s busy.

onehundredthidiot

Yep very. Standard price around here.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How much to wallpaper a wall?’ is closed to new replies.