Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Nipples
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

…for XC wheel – alloy or brass?

And what’s the best way to calculate nipple length?

Serious replies only please.

allthepies
    Free Member

Dunno, but….

Who uses oil before tweaking them ?

beefheart
    Free Member

And what’s the best way to calculate nipple length?

I find it’s usually temperature dependent.

wwaswas

Brass every time.

I’ve broken too many alloy ones trying to true used used wheels to consider them.

most people use 12mm although CRC seem to supply only 14mm when you buy spokes.

Doesn;t really matter as long as you use the right length when calculating spoke length.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

There’s always… 2.

I’ve used a calculator which didn’t ask for nipple length to get the correct spoke length (Pro Wheel Builder) – what do you use?

MSP

Brass, if I were a racing snake trying to save every last gramm I might consider alloy, but it would be way down on my list of weight saving options.

12mm is standard

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Awesome cheers guys.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Brass as they will [ if lubed before insertion] always free up [ ok much more often than alloy
    Its saves very little weight and just adds problems in the long run

Northwind

Brass for me… Not sure if alu are more seizy but they’re certainly more cracky. Just part-rebuilt a roval wheel, because when trying to true it, it turned out several nipples were already cracked and by the time I’d finished, more than half had cracked just trying to adjust the tension. Stripped it and replaced every last one of the little cracky bastards.

messiah
    Free Member

Alloy save 20g per wheel (assuming 32 spokes).

In my experience they are good for the first year or two but after that any nipple tweaking required is highly likely to cause nipple breakage. For weight weenie or XC race wheels they are a must but if you want years of service go brass.

Northwind

I did wonder if there’s any mileage in just going through each wheel once every six months and giving the nipples a half turn out and back to free them up… But that seems like the sort of thing that logically shouldn’t cause any problems, but would probably end up with an improbably bendy wheel.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Serious replies only please.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

maccruiskeen

There’s always… 2.

occasionally theres more. In norfolk for instance.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For my own stuff I Normaly use Dt alloy pro-lock as I’m a weight freak
    But for customers wheels we always recomend brass
    Much better in the long term

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Brass. I prefer Sapim polyax as they swivel slightly, reducing the bend on the spoke.
    12mm is standard, unless you’ve got deep section rims.

poisonspider
    Free Member

OP –

You title a thread with just ‘Nipples’ and then request serious replies only.

Schizo!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

And another question about spokes – my calculator says I need 263 & 265mm spokes, I could get away with 262 & 264mm eh?

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’d just go 264 all round.

ALU nips if you lube regular, brass if you want fit and forget.

I lube when building, not just nips, spoke crossings and flange holes too, really facilitates a good bed.

Over the years, the most important phase I’ve found in wheel building is the bedding in procedure, don’t be scared, really rag on those spokes.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I was thinking that, but I can get both lengths quite easily so erred on the side of caution with the two lengths – I didn’t think a mm would make too much difference.

andyl
    Free Member

occasionally theres more. In norfolk for instance.

Or if you have a golden gun…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Nipples’ is closed to new replies.