Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How much to get qualified to guide?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Whats the ball park figure to get a recognised qualification and suitable liability insurance to guide rides? I got work to pay for my qualification and I know my ABCC membership gives me some liability cover – but what else is out there?

doug_basqueMTB.com

SMBLA. You need to do the 2-day TCL training, consolidate with logged rides and then do the TCL assesment. That lets you take people on rides up to say a 'red' level within 30 mins walk of help and at less than 600m's altitude. Or something like that.

I think that I paid about £180 for the course and £120 for the assesment.

Then you need a 2day 1st aid course. I think that was £180.

If you want to go on to MBL it's basically the same as TCL once more.

You'll need to factor in kit unless you can borrow some. Group shelters etc etc…

You can't go wrong with Jules at Cyclewild Scotland for your courses. Based in Aviemore you'll end up doing some fantastic riding and getting shown some little known treasures as well as getting your qualification.
    For first aid I used Glenmore Lodge and did the BASP one. Again top quality.

trailmonkey

CTC activity provider insurance will cover you. Costs about £50 a year which runs from Nov to Nov, so it pays to buy it now. You need to be a CTC member and that costs about £30 a year. You get added benefits with CTC membership too so worth doing.

HTH.

Ed-O
    Free Member

2nd Jules in Aviemore

Or Cyclewise at Whinlatter

http://www.cyclewise.co.uk/index.php/smbla-awards.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How much to get qualified to guide?’ is closed to new replies.