Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • how much to fit rr mech, shifters, chain and cassette?
  • banginon

What would you pay a shop to fit a XT cassette, rear mech, shifters and chain all bought from CRC at way less than RRP?

Now I know that most of you lot would fit that stuff yourself, but what would you consider a fair price?

wwaswas

An hours workshop time? But allow for new chain rings too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

£45

martymac

probly about 30 quid id say.
    its really not all that difficult to do yourself, you could spend that on the necessary tools, do it yourself and you would still have the tools at the end of it.
    chain whip, cassette lockring remover, big adjustable spanner, chain rivet extracter, allen keys, small flat blade screwdriver.
    there are probably videos on youtube that would show you how its done.
    ^^^cost 2P.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

if the shop has to take off all your old crap (presume its a bit grubby too) and then index your new gear’s, i’d say £50 would be a good price.

trail_rat
    Free Member

local shop between 30-50 quid to remove , clean and fit new supplied equipment. at a large chain store in the city 50-70

id also budget for new outer cabling (as the ones that CRC usually supply just have inners) and new chainring(s)

at shopkeeps discretion too .. you turn up with a caket filthy bike(as folk often did) it WILL cost more.

banginon

Ach well, I’ll class us as cheap, quick and cheerful then.

£30 + a fiver for the outers and a brew; advised of the need for new rings, but complete chainset is next upgrade after payday.

Done while the lad waited.

He seemed surprised it was more than £20 hence the thread.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its been more than that every where ever i ever worked or shopped since 2001

jonba
    Free Member

£40-50 would of been my guess which I assume is about an hours work if you include indexing etc. I’d also expect the cables to need to be replaced and probably cost a bit extra unless supplied.

I think people have an unrealistic view of how much time costs. What I normally find works is hourly rates are twice what the person will be earning + a bit more if they have a building or other significant overheads. People often forget about the businesses requirement to make a profit and also pay tax.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘how much to fit rr mech, shifters, chain and cassette?’ is closed to new replies.