Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How much is too much? (drinking)
  • oddjob
    Free Member

wwaswas

That was based on the advice of the Singletrack colective. I don’t care if I drink at the weekends or not. I will not drink this week and then see how I feel at the end of it.

As an aside, about 12 months ago we found out that our youngest son (about 1 at the time) had a serious intestinal problem on top of the other genetic problems he has been born with (no I am not married to my cousin) and my wife and I basically drank a bottle of wine every night for a month or so to help deal with it. It helped at the time and it was never a problem to go back to the usual bottle on a friday night. We even told the nurse that we didn’t need to see a therapist becuase we were coping by drinking!

Sometimes you indulge a little, other times you don’t. It’s the ability to realise that you have been indulging and then stop that prevents us from becoming massively overweight and alcoholics.

momo

When I was a first year uni student I was drinking at least 5 nights a week, and at least 10 pints per session, more often than not it was 15 pints or more (I put on over 5 stone in weight during my first year!) but I have never looked back on that period of my life and considered myself to have had a drink problem.
    However, when I left uni, I was working in a dead end, mind numbing factory job doing 4 days on and 4 off. I started to have a drink when I finished work every night, and before too long I would need a drink about 6 o’clock (the time i would normally be getting home) on my days off. I would only have 3 or 4 a night, but looking back it scares me just how dependant I became on having a drink evry night.

I’ve just been through the break up of a long term serious relationship, and was really struggling to sleep at night, so would quite often have a whisky or two before I went to bed just to help me off, I was worried that I could quite easily slip back into an old routine of needing to drink every night. Things are definately a lot better for me now, and I put an end to the night time drinks about 4 weeks ago.

I still drink often, but not normally on a school night – I’m on a health kick at the moment too – and don’t have a problem, I can always say no to that next one.

hora
    Free Member

oddjob, I’ve been where you are.

Forget the units rule of thumb and frequency.

When you stop enjoying it give it a break.

If come, Friday you really don’t think you will enjoy it- wait until you really do feel in the mood.

Don’t drink ‘because you need to’ or ‘I’ve had a bad/tough day’.

One day knocking your plastic cup of water over will be bad enough reason to have a drink otherwise.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I have known people who have stopped drinking after some very serious problems and more than one of them have lost loads of weight to start with, but then over time have returned to their drinking weight after some months, having developed a new found interest in puddings.

Could the daily urge be related to blood sugar levels and not the intoxication of the alcohol you are drinking?

Ringo
    Free Member

Most people I know have a drink everynight or at least most nights, I don’t see the big deal. I look forward to a pint after work everyday and normally have 2 or 3. I don’t however wake up and neck a glass of vodka. I don’t drink to get drunk I drink because I like it

hora
    Free Member

Anyone else here? I’ve never really liked the taste of alcohol.

samuri
    Free Member

Alcohol is tasteless. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Out dog has grown up associating alchol with my ‘smell’, however I don’t want my son growing up thinking thats what Daddies and grown ups smell like 24/7 ‘i,e the stench of alcohol/loser’.

Hence I’ve cut back during the week mainly for that reason.

damo2576
    Free Member

I drink every night and have done for as long as I can remember. I said on Sunday I was not going to drink Mon – Thurs this week.

But had 3 bottles of Peroni last night. Going to try and not drink tonight.

Alex

I was having this conversation with my Mum (78, likes a drink when she’s down with us, but she’s not a p!ssed old lady or anything !) and apparently when we were kids, it was really unusual to drink in the week.

We didn’t have much cash either, but the whole thing was you had a drink as a “reward” for a tough working week. The idea of social drinking at home never happened to us or people on or street.

But then I suppose all the blokes went to the pub and got slaughtered 😉

Pubs going out of business/more drinking “behind closed doors” at home. I feel the two may be linked.

I like a beer. Or two. Especially after riding, and especially in a pub with friends. If I started thinking about it at breakfast, I’d probably worry, but otherwise I’ll trust myself to enjoy everything in moderation.

Sun rides start at 8am for me, so getting trolley’d on saturday is not a good idea!

hora
    Free Member

Especially after riding,

That is the best reward imaginable. If I drink the night before a ride I feel really really shitty.

After and its a double-bonus :mrgreen:

bigbob38
    Free Member

I ran a pub for 8 years and was pi55ed every night…(15-20 pints, a bottle or 2 of wine every day). Used to stay off it till 9pm to convince myself I didn’t have a problem – but I did….

The last year that went out the window and lunch time sessions became the norm. I got out in 2001, got a job that required me to keep a driving license, tokk up mountainbiking, and lost 4 stone!

I still drink a bit – mainly when cycling – but am fit and happy 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How much is too much? (drinking)’ is closed to new replies.