Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How much is too much?
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I started commuting by bike about 4 weeks ago, 10ish miles each way 5 days a week. I’ve also been doing a club road ride at the weekend and ambling about on my mtb/running errands on the road bike on my days off, and I’m nackered! I know the obvious thing to do would be to rest on my days off but I sold the car a while ago and use the bike for all my travel now.

My job is also pretty tough as I’m on my feet all day doing deliveries, driving a van and carrying out maintenance. There’s no real way of lightening my load there…

What sort of energy levels are you lot feeling come home time? Is it just me that’s dead on my feet?

Im eating a good clean diet by the way.

Cheers

Mandarin
    Free Member

I started a similar commute (plus MTB riding for fun some evenings and at the weekend) about 6 months ago. I felt pretty wrecked for the first couple of months, but it feels much better now. Some days I’m tired, but once I’m rolling it’s all good. I take it pretty easy some days and go fast when I feel like it.

I really enjoy seeing the sunrise every morning and being outside, even when the weather is balls. When I occasionally have to drive, it feels like something important is missing in my day. The bonus is that if I have a couple of days rest and then go for a MTB ride I feel really strong.

Stick with it, ride at a pace that feels good, and keep eating well.

chief9000
    Free Member

That’s great but are you eating enough? your calorie intake could be a bit low?

simondbarnes

Eat more and see if that helps.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you getting 8 hours kip per night?

I’ve just this minute taken myself off to bed to make sure I’m well rested between sessions.

warton
    Free Member

Are you getting 8 hours kip per night?

hahahahahahahahaha

two kids under 4, one is always ill, I got 4 hours last night, add that to 150 road miles a week and trainerroad, and I’m knackered 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What sort of energy levels are you lot feeling come home time? Is it just me that’s dead on my feet?

How much extra are you eating to cover the added output?

fr0sty
    Free Member

Yeah it’s probably the quantity to be honest, and timing.

jock-muttley

The rule I have always held is to have 2 non consecutive days off the bike in 7.

Sounds like you are possibly overdoing it, remember you live to cycle not cycle to live.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hmmm…. I workout 5-6 days a week no problem don’t feel lack of energy but I have a desk job….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How much is too much?’ is closed to new replies.