Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • How much does your wife think your bike is worth?
  • Monkey
    Free Member

I just had to sell my ti hardtail as she discovered the true cost 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’m sure she knows with all the mtb mags I have lying about but doesn’t seem to mind 😉

Bummer about your Ti HT 😥

druidh
    Free Member

Less than we can afford.

anotherstan
    Free Member

my wife is constantly amazed at the stuff that comes free with the mags 😉

rp16v
    Free Member

has the thumb print on your head gone yet?
    lol misses nows how much each one is worth and says nothing as she cant do anything about it 😆

crashdummy
    Free Member

About half of what it cost – and she still thinks it was stupiedly expensive.

lipseal
    Free Member

She thinks I get mine from the tip! Bless her :mrgreen:

aP
    Free Member

Pretty much what they cost, but then I am rebuilding her cx bike on Friday and cutting down the ec90slx steerer on her road bike next week.

domino

Tsk tsk, I think my Yeti cost more than Mr dominos Commencal. Tell her the truth, unless she hides boxes of shoes at the back of the wardrobe, you may be in for a surprise too.

j_me
    Free Member

“bike” ? Singular ?
    Keep them in “the shed” and always buy white ones…..worked for me!

Edric64
    Free Member

I spent 600quid on a bike 6 years ago .It was to much then I was told and I still get told I am a selfish barsteward for buying it now.

j_me
    Free Member

Edric 64 – If you had joined a Ballantyne’s gym 6 years ago you would have shelled out around £1800 by now. Your bike was a bargain 🙂

Monkey
    Free Member

yes I believe that I am under the thumb, although there is a covert whyte build in progress, well sort of covert

MrOvershoot

She knows pretty much what every bike I have cost down to component level, why would I hide that?

She has always said its my money & I worked hard for it so as long as we have a roof over our heads and food to eat then anything else is a bonus.

Monkey
    Free Member

I think it was when she discovered it was worth more than her car 🙂

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Fortunately the woman has a taste for the “finer things in life” so it’s easy to justify a nice bike that costs a quarter of my yearly income.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have friends that have bikes (the number of ‘ex-demo’ bikes that apparently are bought!!), others that have real bikes (with engines), others that have boats, others that have track cars, others that have airplanes! They all cost about half of what they cost (and that was too much) and cost half of what they cost to keep running!

mamadirt
    Free Member

I don’t have a wife but I do keep reminding papadirt that my tiny bike fetish is a lot cheaper than a handbag/shoe fetish 😆

Ambrose

Mrs A is well aware of the costs of all the bikes under this roof. She benefitted from my new build by having the 10% discount from Skyline given as a donation towards her Peruvian charity trek.

GJP
    Free Member

Obviously not as much as her engagement ring 😥

poppa
    Free Member

So how do you justify bills on a joint account (if you have one…)?

maccruiskeen

The prayer goes along the lines of

“……..if i should die before I wake I pray the lord that my wife sell my bike* for what its worth and not what I told her I paid for it”

*or scuba gear, or golf sticks, or train set, or top trumps collection

user-removed
    Free Member

The latest addition to the garage was a swap for one of my air rifles. Mrs Removed was only too happy to see one of the death-sticks leaving the house 😀

The death-stick in question was a snip at less than a grand…

scaredypants

my wife as no idea, nor interest
    she knows i have several bikes though

GW
    Free Member

did those of you that need to lie go straight from living with your mums’ to marriage?

ton

she never asks.
    it is my money to spend on what i like.

iain1775
    Free Member

my wife knows exactly what MY Ti hardtail is worth
    Problem is she thinks its HERS

actually real problem was when I was away with work for a week and returned to find pink tassles and a bell had been attached to the handlebars

She does have a certain subtle way of warning me about my bike expenditure!

amplebrew

My wife knows exactly how much my bikes are worth.

I was into mountain bikes and motorbikes whilst we were going out for 6 years, so when we got married it wasn’t an issue.

As long as all the important and essential stuff is paid for, then she doesn’t mind.

I don’t see the need to lie about it and it works both ways anyway. She spends just as much money on bits and bobs that she likes.

It seems a bit sad having to lie to partners about how much a bike costs!!

trailertrash

you had to sell it? i don’t understand.

bikes depreciate massively – to the point where 40% of the value goes practically as you wheel it out of the shop. so you have literally thrown away money and no longer have the bike either.

basically she punished you. and you just bent over and took it. how is she going to respect you now?

we know who wears the trousers and who wears the frilly pink knickers in your house 😯

next time she wants to give you turkey, I’ll send you my bank account details and you can just hit me up with some cash instead. easy.

midlifecrashes

So long as the bikecount stays below n+1, she’s happy! There are periodic anomalies 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Bike = £250 max.

What’s brill is that there’s 3 of them. All silver-ish. Very ish. I know she knows I know that she doesnt know that she knows I dont know that there’s more than one bike in the garage. She knows I dont know………..about the number of shoes and boots that she doesnt buy. Simple. Really daft actually. But it works 🙂

Only thing is she wont buy me anything bike related as a present, under any circumstances, ever. It’s most definitly related to me refusing in no uncertain terms to ever ever go shoe shopping with here.

timc
    Free Member

OP should be banned for being pathetic…

edhornby

I have 3 bikes and have made it clear that this the maximum that I will ever own, she knows how much roughly I paid for them but I know how much her handbags cost and I’m the one who does the budgeting and I have savings so we both know we’re onto a good thing

oh yeah, I meant that bit about never wanting more than 3, I have a commuter, a mountain bike and a best bike, don’t need anything else

neninja
    Free Member

She genuinely has no interest in my bikes.

She didn’t notice when an XTC became an Anthem or when a Teocali appeared alongside the Anthem this year. She equally didn’t notice when the Teocali disappeared and was replaced by a Nicolai Helius in a totally different colour.

If she was interested I’d talk to her about it but she thinks I’m mad wanting to spend my time pedalling up hills, just to go down the other side. Happy times – just wish the ice would clear to enjoy it some more.

TheFlyingOx

All my bikes are loaners from a bike-shop-owning mate 😉

Having said that, I really ought to man up seeing as she taps me for about £80 a month for haircuts and nails.

Nick

I just had to sell my wife hardtail as I she discovered the true cost

fixed it for you 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

All this remidns me of a “true” story from my motocross days. A bloke buys a new maico in about 1977 and changes it every year. Because its red his wife thinks its the same bike. In 1981 Maico change to Blue so the chap buys a Honda. Another ten years go by and the wife is so impressed he’s had the same bike for so long she buys him a new one.
    I’ve been trying to replicate this for years, but everytime my nephew comes over I’m grassed out !!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

My lovely wife is well aware of the value of my bikes.
    As a non cycling psychiatric nurse, she considers it part of my “treatment”.
    I was a semi-pro golfer when we met, and the tournament entry fees, annual club membership and continual equipment upgrades make MTB look like a cheap hobby in direct comparison.
    It’s just a cheaper form of mental illness.
    I hope I never recover. lol

druidh
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

Having said that, I really ought to man up seeing as she taps me for about £80 a month for haircuts and nails.

What is she building?

Gordy
    Free Member

I don’t think my wife cares. I’ll wake her up and ask her though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘How much does your wife think your bike is worth?’ is closed to new replies.