Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • How much does your wife think your bike is worth?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

She knows near enough exactly how much I paid for each of my 6 bikes…
    It comes out of a joint account..

I don’t really understand all the secrecy ??

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My wife knows how much my bike cost because she bought it.

ivantate
    Free Member

she doesnt really care providing she doesnt go hungry and it gets used.

Although she did splutter a bit when we were looking at house insurance quotes and I put a replacement value down for my custom build 5. I then had to mention the second cheap bike may have also evolved into something requiring insurance.

Luckily the prompt for the insurance quote was the fact i had just made the last payment on the mortgage so it offset the ‘irresponsibility’.

I think its less about deception but more about having no interest and the figures in isolation looking big. A reasonable monthly spend over a few years starts to add up even with depreciation. more worrying is the amount you can attribute to bike related clothing too.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I’ve got plenty of jeans and t shirts and vans.
    That’s what the pro’s wear when they shoot vids, so it’s good enough for me.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Better than a crack habit 😉

Not married, or even living together, but Muddypuddle knows how much all my bikes cost.
    She also knows I’m not very good at selling the old stuff on when I upgrade, so by the time my old Chameleon had gradually morphed in to a Lynskey Rohloff 29er, it was a short step to put it all back together again and build her a hardtail.

Trampus
    Free Member

You are so romantic, MTG! 😀

stuey
    Free Member

“Too much”*
    as they’re on the house policy she knows.

*’Wife reflex’ response “Do you really need another bike?”

ononeorange

She helps me spec mine.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

well she brought me my Pace RC 405 for my last birthday so she should know

Sam

What it’s worth or how much it cost?

wwaswas

I susepct my wife couldn’t even say how many bikes I own, let alone what they cost.

She’s not interested in bikes or what they cost although I suspect if I told her I just spent more on a light than she thought was ‘a lot’ to spend on her bike she might have something to say.

She tends to view bikes as a necessary evil to keep me occupied when there’s no DIY to be done.

Wasn’t it john_climber who ‘won’ an Inbred frame from Brant and even got a letter with it confirming the same?

neninja
    Free Member

Selling parts at motorcycle shows I’ve been amazed at the number of lads who turn up with a roll of notes they’ve been squirrelling away all year to buy parts for their bike so their wife doesn’t know. Also the number of lads who accumulate secret funds in their paypal account for special purchases.

Hairychested
    Free Member

She sort of knows what I paid for them (if it’s convenient to remember at the time).
    Recently she said that I need a Kona A. My dream bike will once again be here thanks to this forum. She’s making sure we can afford it too 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

She knows exactly how much it’s worth..

a. I showed up to our first date on my bike.. Mrs Yunki knows where she stands in the hierachy..
    b. We share almost everything including our thoughts..
    c. My bike’s only worth about £15..

chakaping
    Free Member

I susepct my wife couldn’t even say how many bikes I own, let alone what they cost.

Same here.

Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Actually she doesn’t really care that much and we’ve done good for money the last few years. Still I did get a bit carried away on Ebay last night and am wondering how to break the news that another bike will be arriving shortly.

stumpy01

My other half knows how much my bike cost, assuming she can remember. First new bike in 8 years so splashing out for a replacement wasn’t really an issue – especially assuming gym membership to the nearest decent gym is >£50/month.
    I got moaned at recently when I bought some new bits, but they were necessary & I showed her that I trawled the internet for the best value bits I could get. I think she was quite pleased when I showed her the Sunline bars I bought were £27 as opposed to some of the high end bars that are getting on for £100.

She also didn’t really mind when I bought my Inbred frame to put the bits off my old bike onto, plus the new bits to replace those that wouldn’t swap across.

I assume all this will change when the we finally move into the house we have just made an offer on. The list of stuff we need to buy brings me out in a cold sweat!

singlespeedstu

Sam – Member

What it’s worth or how much it cost?
    All our bikes are “worth” more than they cost.

Mrs ssstu know exactly how much everything cost on all our bikes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i found that as along as the frame colour stayed the same it could be upgraded for ever without being noticed

colin@rush
    Free Member

A few times i’ve had customers ask what bike can i get thats the same colour as my old one purely on the bases that the missus wouldn’t notice the difference if its the same colour, and we often do 2 receipts 1 for the proper value and a show the missus one usually half price ish, as mentioned above i’m amazed how many people have rolled up notes the missus knows nothing about…

Don’t think it doesn’t happen the other way around either though, you really think those new shoes were £20 🙂

br
    Free Member

My wife has horses; she’s more bothered about me knowing what she spends, than what I spend.

mildred

I was very into motorbikes, road bikes & MTBs when we met. Though she despairs at the costs of bike related stuff (so do I these days) she doesnt mind as she knows it keeps me happy. I’ve since sold my road bikes, motor bikes (except my mini majesty which is being restored). I’ve never smoked, and never drank to excess (though I do have an expensive taste in single malt) and I’ve even kept the same car for over a year, which is a miracle for me.

The kids get fed, she gets whatever she wants whenever she wants, we have a nice house with nice garden. She knows I work hard for things and try to sell bike stuff on to help pay for new stuff, so other than the odd grumble she doesn’t mind. She knows how much things cost because I’m usually so pleased with the latest “bargain” that I tell her.

coopersport1
    Free Member

She has given up asking! But knows the formula for the number of bikes I need is always number currently owned+1 😆

wwaswas

knows the formula for the number of bikes I need is always number currently owned+1

In th econtext of this thread the correct number is n-1 where ‘n’ is the number that will raise the ire of your partner.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My wife thinks my bike cost £1.27.

It actually cost $1.27.

That means the last laugh is on her.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

My wife’s bikes outnumber mine 6 to 4 and the average value is also considerably higher with carbon fibre featuring heavily. She’s also got better legs than me. 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

do you lot actually know? i have no idea how much my bike cost.

spacemonkey

I tend not to tell her the full cost of things when I’ve bought them – particularly if money is a sensitive subject at that time.

But she’s well aware it’s generally an expensive hobby and doesn’t give me a hard time – so long as I don’t admit to every purchase. She knows it gives me the escapism I need to maintain at least a few moments of sanity.

I did make a boo-boo a few years ago though. Bought some custom Wilson irons for £550, put them in my golf bag and used them as normal. Totally avoided telling her because she hated golf. But stupidly put my old irons in the Wilson box with the receipt hidden away in the garage. Missus decided to do a clear-out and found said box and receipt. Not a happy bunny.

spacemonkey

A few times i’ve had customers ask what bike can i get thats the same colour as my old one purely on the bases that the missus wouldn’t notice the difference if its the same colour, and we often do 2 receipts 1 for the proper value and a show the missus one usually half price ish, as mentioned above i’m amazed how many people have rolled up notes the missus knows nothing about…

Quality.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I intentionally took Mrs PixelMix to the bike shop the last time I bought a new bike – it means she can’t complain later on.

She doesn’t mind as we have our own separate pots of money for things which aren’t for us both, and I use my cash for bikes.

Mind you, she still brings up that summer where I decided not to go for a summer holiday with her (she went with a friend instead as I wasn’t sure I would have a job shortly), but had spent £950 on a bike 7 months previously. 😳

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Well I had to come clean to my girlfriend when she was organising the house insurance

That said she still doesn’t really know/appreciate how much the hardatil I built cost.

I thought that if I could get her into a but of MTB she wouldn’t mind me buying more stuff/bikes… I’ll let you know how it works out!

chakaping
    Free Member

Thnking about this more, what I really worry about is that she doesn’t fully realise how cheap some of them were.

And hence why I now have six of the things. It would have been silly not to buy them at those prices!

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Pixelmix… similar situation only I quit my job, 2 weeks later spent £2k on my trek and was unemployed for 3.5 months, she only found out about a month after I got a job, she wasn’t impressed but fortunately I got the job before I ran out of cash but there were some darker times where I thought that I may have been a little too hasty buying the bike without a job and possibly have to sell it in order to survive, luckily for me and my beloved bike it never came to that and the 3.5 months off was spent riding! Good times

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

She’ll have a better idea than I do seeing as she paid for most of them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I often claim new items were cheaper than they were. TBH I think she sees straight through me every time!

It’s a tricky “addiction” these bike things. I seem to be fine for a few months then suddenly need loads of bits. But can’t bring myself to fit anything but really decent kit.

I reckon I’ve spent £1.5-2k extra on a £1200 bike. Doh!

Haze

She knows roughly how much they’d cost to replace for insurance purposes.

I don’t tell her how much parts cost unless she asks, I tend to give her a ‘estimated’ figure which is always met with a suspicious look!

So occasionally I have to pass things under the radar 😉

Monkey
    Free Member

OP should be banned for being pathetic, thanks for that did make me laugh 🙂

The bike was worth a few hundred more than I built it for, but it took 6 months to get all the bits together. I had to accept that I don’t really have ti money, have bills to pay, would like to try an take the nippers abroad next year…………….

timber

Fairly irrelevant, I’ve a lot more spending to do before I get anywhere near the cost of her harps.

Currently 4 bikes with a letter to Santa for another.

McHamish
    Free Member

My wife thinks my last bike was bought on a ‘cycle to work’ scheme.

Which it was, kind of…I bought it, and I’ve used it a few times to cycle to work.

grumm
    Free Member

She knows roughly how much it cost – and can’t really complain as I built up a nice bike and gave it to her.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘How much does your wife think your bike is worth?’ is closed to new replies.