Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much do you buy new vs second hand
  • tomhoward

So, just looking at my fleet, realised that the vast majority of the kit on them was ‘pre loved’ (all my bikes were bought s/h, and I have a penchant for making changes) is that just me being tight (read ‘skint’) or is that how we all do it?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

secondhand stuff from here is good . last years stuff now out of fashion and hardly used for a pittance.

Also good bargains in well used kit. I buy almost everything secondhand.

matt_outandabout

Mixture, spot bargains now and again…buy some new stuff in sale with discounts etc.

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t buy secondhand stuff, and when it comes to consumables, why? when a cassette is worn out i replace and see no benefit in buying someone else’s worn out components. As for stems, bars, seatposts, I don’t know how they have been ridden and crashed, which with bars can be a real concern.

I tend to run components into the ground and not replace for the sake of replacing,

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Worn out parts are always new and out of the last 8 bikes I’ve bought 4 have been new and the rest are mostly stw classifieds.

Giant xtc – new
    Bianchi road bike – new
    Cube full suss – new
    Steel hardtail – 2nd hand stw classified
    Plastic roadie – ex demo
    Plastic mtb – brand new warranty replacement frame but bought as 2nd hand ebay and built with donor parts from the cube.
    cx – brand new, 40th birthday present.
    Spesh Langster – 2nd hand stw classified and hopefully being delivered tomorrow.

njee20
    Free Member

Very rare I buy second hand, but I get a good discount on new. Pick up the odd bit from friends now and again in ‘end of season’ clearouts! Got some DT240/Alpine wheels for 150 quid, which I’m pleased with.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I buy 2nd hand things if they crop up and its what I need. Doesnt bother me either way. You can often find new parts for not much more than 2nd hand parts if you search google.

I usually buy 2nd hand forks though, I cant justify spending upwards of £500 on a new set.

superfli
    Free Member

I buy most stuff second hand, bits of new if a good discounted or it’s the drive train. Only bike new I’ve had was an insurance claim.

Kevevs
    Free Member

all 3 of my bikes are built from 2nd hand stuff. apart from when I was a bit flush I bought my MTB wheels new. and chains, brake-pads, cassettes, chainrings are mostly bought new. Why pay £1500 for a new bike when you can build same bike virtually new for £600? it’ll be “used” after one ride anyway!

ross88guy
    Free Member

I tend to buy things like clothes new as I don’t like the ideas of wearing other peoples sweaty lycra but most of my bike components are second hand; especially replacement parts where I know exactly what I am looking for!

……………..
    Triathlon Forum

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah, I mostly buy my bike clothing new, but all my non-bike clothes come from charidee shops.

cookeaa

Purchasing other peoples used goods?

Are you poor or something?

You probably drive one of these commoners cars a “ford” or some such frightful contrivance…

I hear the poor even buy houses without an Estate, merely a small plot they believe to be sufficient to qualify as a “garden”…

Whatever is the world coming to?

motox2k
    Free Member

80/20 for me with 20% being new.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much do you buy new vs second hand’ is closed to new replies.