Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How much Astroturfing is there on this forum?
  • GEDA
    Free Member

I did not have a clue what Astroturfing was until yesterday reading something about it on the Guardian website. Anyway it got me thinking when ever you ask a question on here about what is the best forks or are uppy-downy seat post worth it and such how many posts are from companies wanting to sell you stuff and how many from genuine punters?

Some people who I don’t need to name plug their stuff all the time but I suppose that is not the same. If I was trying to sell stuff I suppose it would be an easy and cheap marketing path to take to put myself up as a “Normal punter” and say how good some product is.

Any examples of this and what are the rules?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t think there are many people doing it covertly on STW, Brant, Si, Cy are all fairly well know, and idiots like kasea, Fruit/Tango/Neil get ousted fairly quickly.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Superstar. The guy did it all the time. I’d be amazed if he hasn’t stopped.

geoffj

idiots like kasea

Bit harsh that TINAS. He may have got off on the wrong foot, but he seems a decent enough chap now.

Stoner
    Free Member

first impressions last geoff. I cant get past all that bearing bollock he started off with.

GEDA
    Free Member

Seems to me that Astroturfing is as bad as fraud. Hard balance between accountability and freedom.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kaesae’s self promotion threads are pure comedy IMO, and he seems a decent bloke.

Superfruit took it way too far though.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s wrong with good old fashioned shilling eh?

Just because some bright spark has thought up a new word.

Pook

Aye Kaesae seems to have taken on board the feedback. Fruit on the other hand….

he ended up pushing me onto http://www.discobrakes.com

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i went to disco brakes too, then found their packaging was a total nightmare to get into, so went back to superfruits things.

this has no relevance to the thread, other than the disco packaging making me very angry.

miketually
    Free Member

Using one account to promote your goods covertly isn’t astroturfting. Not as I understand it, anyway.

ibis
    Free Member

I think it happens a fair bit on here,
    usual suspects and usually starts as (what bike should I buy) and
    (what bike has similar geo ao head angle) etc
    maybe we should have an AstroTurf button which could remove traders

brant
    Free Member

I think it happens a fair bit on here,
    usual suspects and usually starts as (what bike should I buy) and

can you give examples?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I think you’ll find most people on here who sell stuff are open enough to say who they are and what they are doing and that goes a long way.
    I had never heard of SpokeShirts until I read a thread a while back, guy was honest, offering discount and that is good.

I guess it becomes an issue when someone says Oh yes I bought a fork or disc pads or jacket etc. from a shop or a particular brand and ravs on about it when they actually work for the shop or brand.

Mind you, seeing how quickly some stolen bikes can be found on here I am sure the detectives of STW would soon work it out!!

Woody
    Free Member

Before you get the examples Brant – as you are here and assuming this isn’t a subtle astroturf 😉 …….

Any news on the ti fat, or any other fatbike ideas in the offing?

Andy

cynic-al – Member
    Kaesae’s self promotion threads are pure comedy IMO, and he seems a decent bloke.

Superfruit took it way too far though.

+1. I like Kaesae, he seems a pretty decent bloke behind his “Bearing Mission”, but then he has worked hard to win people over.

I do find some of the incessant marketing a bit tedious sometimes (cough, Chumba, cough), but dont mind the likes of Sam and Cy, who dont post about their products often, but when do its usually informative.

Andy

Oh and Brant doesn’t “Astroturf”, he doesn’t need to as he has a legion of Fanbois to do that 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Before you get the examples Brant – as you are here and assuming this isn’t a subtle astroturf…….

Brant posting here as Brant doesn’t give an impression of grassroot support. It’s not astroturfing.

If someone from Bike Company A had several accounts here which they used to praise their products, that’d be astroturfing.

ibis
    Free Member

Will look some up brant
    hopefully before the Mods remove them, ( wouldn’t want it messing with the stw advertising budget and feebee’s) 😉

wwaswas

I don’t think any of the people mentioned (bar fruit/superstar) astroturf – they’re completely up front about who they are and who they represent.

There used to be a Dave Hinde apologist on here (when people still bought stuff from them and ran foul of their customer service).

I guess it’s difficult to say how much goes on but I tend to recognise when certain individuals plug a product at every opportunity and seem more than normally keen on it (foxyrider and Kinesis aside – he’s just obsessed, not paid).

toys19
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have said Brant astroturfs at all. We know who he is so it’s not like anyone is being conned. I think it would be difficult to pull off on here as everyone knows someone on here, so identities are usually verifiable.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its more sockpuppeting than astroturfing.

duckman

The Dave Hinde apologist…would be me.I bought a lot of stuff from them and always got it on time,All I did was give balance when people were ranting about them.However I have since experienced their more “typical” service since then 😥

thebunk

Think you’d have to be mad to try that here – it would only ever end badly – (the fruit/kaesae scenario).

I like having the industry types posting on here – wouldn’t want them scared off. They should post up more discounts though…

thebunk

p.s. Buy Cotic! 😀

cheese@4p

That’s quite sad duckman!

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Who comes up with all this terminology? Astroturfing, please. The one at the moment that really makes my blood boil is ‘dogfooding’ – where corporations are testing their products internally. That’s just ‘internal testing’! The other thing about dogfooding is that everywhere I’ve seen it mentioned they’ve had to put an explanation next to it because the word gives you no clue as to its meaning. Same goes for Astroturfing.

wwaswas

duckman – I don’t think it was you – it was years ago they only ever posted on Dave Hinde threads and knew ‘the other side’ of the specific issue but always denied they were employed by DH.

djglover
    Free Member

The progressive cycles ones used to be incessant and really really irritating.

bol

It’s called Astroturfing because it refers to false ‘grass-roots’ support. I only know that because I just wikied it.

Meatpuppetry is my favourite.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Meatpuppetry is murder…and the same as sockpuppetry.Theres a sentence I never thought I’d type.

JonR
    Free Member

You can’t say Si is guilty of it as he is open about the bikes he sells and at that quilty at those prices why wouldn’t he be and who could resist them? 😉

duckman

Ah well it wasn’t me then,although I think it was on the old forum.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I think the likes of Brant, Cy and Sam are well known enough on here and of course have links to their websites clicking on their usernames. What would be nice is if everyone industry-related used their company name somewhere in their username so the uninitiated know.

A good example would be that richiethesilverfish pops up on threads associated with silverfish products, but its nice and obvious who he works for and what he’s doing here. (he would seem to use the forum for ‘normal’ as opposd to business stuff too btw) He never seems to on the ones that moan about them though, that’s probably very wise! 😆

miketually
    Free Member

I really like astroturfing as a term. At least it makes sense.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think it is a bit unfair to astroturf – when ever I have played football on an astroturf pitch, say at “Goals” it hasn’t tried to pretend it is real grass.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hey Julian – I tend to avoid the complainy threads cause generally it’s someone wanting to rant and get stuff off their chest.
    If they have a genuine problem then I normally pop on and advise them to just mail me directly.

I’d like to think that what I do is helpful rather than astroturfing but some may say otherwise, anyway, I’d love to stay and chat but I’ve got to put on my amazing Race Face Aquanot jacket, fit my super grippy Intense Tyres, lube my chain up with some incredible Rock n Roll lube and go out riding on my magnificent Turner 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

bearing bollock

Who sells them? 😯

takisawa2

Its a risk though I guess, for the “astroturfer”.
    If their product is good then its reputation will carry it. If their product proves crap then this “astroturfing” could be some pretty bad publicity.
    Its sometimes good to hear the views of folk like Brant & Cy etc. Having owned products from both I’d say they have a good idea what works in relation to their respective products.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Richie: you’re right to avoid complainy threads IMO, folk will always come out of the woodwork to moan and people without an axe to grind are far more likely to be out having a ride. So even if you are not Dave Hinde, the complainers will always outnumber you and harness the unstoppable power of Keyboard Rage .

When I said ‘good example’, I meant of you being transparent and not astroturfing at all. Apart from that last post. 😆
    If you have a look at the MTBR guidelines for industry/shop folk on there, the likes of spokescycles, thebikechain and yourself are pretty much bang on what they would like in terms of what your profile and posts ‘look like’ and reply to. Is it Dave Turner who is always popping up on there to answer queries about his bikes?

Mark

The rules are pretty clear for Trade.. Trade users cannot START threads about their business but they can respond to threads where it is appropriate ie. when a genuine user has asked a question that they could answer.

Brant doesn’t Astroturf. Brant uses the search function of the forum to search for keywords that refer to his business or his name. he’s got that search bookmarked and he uses it every day. We know this as his searches are the most popular forum searches in our logs.

This is an example of a business engaging very effectively with the users of this forum. It’s well within the rules and having the resources of a manufacturer/distributor/designer on hand very quickly when a product of theirs is mentioned is surely a very good thing for everyone.

If we suspect anyone of ‘astroturfing’ (What an awful word BTW) then we would consider that as inappropriate trade use and the instigator(s) would be banned.

The balance we try and strike is one where the bike industry has an opportunity to engage with you the customers but not one where industry types get to post direct advertising on the forum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How much Astroturfing is there on this forum?’ is closed to new replies.