Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How many patches?!
  • senorj

I finally got round to repairing the mass of tubes in my shed.
    Times are hard.
    One of the tubes has fourteen patches on it!
    The average was five.
    Is this a record?

I am tight northerner it has to be said.

glenh
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever replaced an inner tube just because of the number of patches on it. Not until something un-repairable occurs.

Euro
    Free Member

21 patches on a 20″ bmx tube is my personal best.

senorj

21 patches = top effort.

Highland28
    Free Member

U say you are tight but surely you could have got a new tube for the price of all the patches just abut?

chakaping
    Free Member

My record is a pathetic eleven.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Highland28 MATHS FAIL!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

U say you are tight but surely you could have got a new tube for the price of all the patches just abut?

Then he’d have a newer tube with 13 patches on it

Highland28
    Free Member

Hmm, yeh i didnt really think that one through very well, oh dear 😳

ajantom

Was in the Pyrenees a few years back and took a trail that I soon realized was entirely covered in flattened brambles/thorny bushes.

I got punctures in both wheels. Taking off the tyres I pulled out about 45 thorns from both. I then tried to mend the punctures in one tube, as I only had one spare. I ran out of patches – there were about 20 in the pack.

Had to ride 10 miles home pumping up the front tyre every 1/2 mile or so 😆

Tim
    Free Member

I used to gibve up when i had to patch over a patch 🙂

Now i seem to snakebite them before they get that far 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

I just chuck the innertube into a tree and stick a new one in 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Who, by the way, are these a-holes that chuck their tubes into a tree?

Just put a patch on it, ffs. Or at the very least take it with you!

Tim
    Free Member

Don’t know, but they should be flambeed with the same flamethrower as people who leave litter in lay-bys.

FOG

A mate was out with a local eccentric – not old but definitely eccentric. They were on their way back when it starts to rain and eccentric gets a puncture. My mate realises he doesn’t have a spare tube and asks anxiously if his companion has. ‘Yes’, he says and produces a tube with more patches than tube. ‘I’ll just patch this one and get it in and we can be on our way’. At this point as rain dripped down his nose my mate left him to it!

Tim
    Free Member

i’ve done that, but not on purpose 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

I’m all for patching it there and then – only takes a couple of minutes longer, most of that waiting for the solution to go off & you can be repacking your bag/looking at the view/having a wee. So really, doesn’t take any longer at all – plus it’s cheaper by far and “proper”.

swamp_boy

I counted recently, one bike has 14 on the front and 13 on the back, some of them are over others, usually different punctures, but one pair are over a gash and holding fine. Other bike is probably similar. I carry a spare tube, but always patch if I can, even if its raining and getting dark, dunno why, I’m just odd that way. But at £4.99 for a new tube that’s saved £135.00, less the cost of the patches.

Even dead tubes live on, one of the most useful all round bits of kit, along with WD40, gaffer tape and mole grips

takisawa2

£4.99 for a tube…
    Stuff that. Tesco’s.
    £2.

5lab

xc tubes? Stuff that, get a proper 1.7mm dh tube and some dual-ply tyres and solve the problem at source 🙂

swamp_boy

I’d rather support the LBS than Tesco but even at £2 its quite a saving.

trailflow
    Free Member

i think Tesco only do schrader valve ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think I got to 22 🙂

doubledunter
    Free Member

Go three puntures between thursday and sunday, changed the tube and sorted it when I got home…but bought 5 tubes from halfords for £15 last summer and not used any yet

Trimix
    Free Member

I thought I was doing well with 9, clearly still got some way to go then.

brakes
    Free Member

my average is none!
    I don’t throw them away though, there are about 20 under the bed!
    serious question – where do you buy your patches from? do you just buy a portable kit or can you get a bumper kit with about 50 patches and big tube of solution?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How many patches?!’ is closed to new replies.