Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • How many more stage wins does Cav need….
  • Smee
    Free Member

… before he has the most of any british person?

ourmaninthenorth

I hope this isn't a spoiler, smee. 😥

sofatester
    Free Member

I’m not worried about how many he wins, i would prefer he actually finished the Tour with the green jersey. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Don't worry, today was all about the snails.

case
    Free Member

8 I think

sofatester
    Free Member

Don't worry, today was all about the snails.

Yum Yum 😛

Special_ized_Jamie

He got the record last year for the most wins by a British rider in a single year when we won four.

Not sure what the most in a career is but can't be far away i would have thought.

midlifecrashes

Barry Hoban won 8, seven of them competitively, the other out of respect for Tommy Simpson

crazy-legs

IIRC he's just overtaken Chris Boardman has having the most pro wins, I think Chris had 41, Cav now has about 43.
    Stages in the TdF, not sure.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

i liked how Stephen Roche said what a lot of people think…..

Taz

Trev – what did Stephen Roache say (he says taking the bait :-))?

Kinavit
    Free Member

i liked how Stephen Roche said what a lot of people think…..

Maybe, but I also agree with what Emma Pooley was saying about a bit of arrogance (although I prefer confidence) is likely to come with being the best sprinter in the world.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

he is the best, but i doubt many riders like him in the peleton, he is brash and cocky, arrogant and rude. he has no respect for anyone or what they have done. he has no respect for the Tour, the jerseys and what it all stands for. i doubt he will even get to paris.

Ed2001
    Free Member

He has no respect for anyone? He has no respect for the tour? Or the jersey and what it all stands for?
    On what do you base the opinions?
    cocky and brash yes but the other comments?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

the fact that he said he didnt care about the green jersey, it means nothing, stage wins mean more, the way he rode past cipo with one leg clipped out….

crazy-legs

He's got a lot better though, he did used to open mouth before engaging brain but he's calmed down a lot. Always praises his team-mates for the work they've done.

It comes with the territory – look at Robbie McEwen when he was winning everything, he had the same attitude. Doesn't mean he didn't respect the Tour or the jersey, everyone respects that, it's the 2nd most coveted prize in cycling (after the yellow jersey).

clubber
    Free Member

Manchester Trev – suggest you read his book 'Boy Racer'. You'll probably come away with quite a different perspective.

ton

he is a very good sprinter
    i think as he gets older he will mellow a bit, and start to show other riders a bit more respect.

shaun kelly was the most respected rider on the tours he rode, he was a cocky young fellow too when he 1st rode it.

glenp
    Free Member

Well, you know – live in Manchester long enough and that's what happens.

warton
    Free Member

he has no respect for anyone or what they have done. he has no respect for the Tour, the jerseys and what it all stands for. i doubt he will even get to paris.

Utter nonsense, total and utter Garbage

jimmy

if he wins today he has the record, no?

AndyP
    Free Member

to answer the OP – 2 more. So maybe done and dusted by tomorrow evening 🙂

if he wins today he has the record, no?
    no, he equals the record.

Manchester Trev – are you Hora in disguise? What a crock of sh1t.

mudshark
    Free Member

Lance seems pretty fond of him….

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Sprinters need to be cocky and arrogant no one will ever win by saying after you thats fine just nudge me into the barriers.

I for one love Cav I am just sick of seeing british sports people folding at the first sign of pressure. Hes got an Australian/American attitude to sport 1st is the winner 2nd is first loser.

GO CAV get your elbows out and weave like a rat in a sewer

glenp
    Free Member

It isn't that he doesn't want or respect the jersey – he is just saying that if he wins enough stages he'll end up wearing it anyway. In other words, he has set out with the team planning not to bother contesting intermediate sprints.

The guy really is in exceptional form – every other sprinter will admit he is the fastest right now. Considering the (discussed) feisty nature of the typical sprinter that is quite something.

Taz

he has no respect for the Tour, the jerseys and what it all stands for. i doubt he will even get to paris.

Utter tosh!

He came out and said wearing the green jersey was the proudest moment in his careeer??? He praises his team every time he wins. I agree he is cocky and arrogant. So what? He's the best and as others have said it seems to come with the territory. I also think he will mellow with age

IMO – He will get to Paris, he will win green and the final sprint. I hope we (the British public) give him the respect and credit that deserves should it happen.

Stoner
    Free Member

Well he's definitely not endearing himself to the locals.

Whether they're being just prickly or sore losers, its not good for his relations is it?
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15072009/3/french-tour-riders-slam-racist-cavendish.html

Cavendish has already been accused of not doing his share of the work in the 'grupetto', the slow bunch of non-climbers which usually works together to get through the difficult mountains stages.

But some French riders claim to have also been racially insulted by the 24-year-old, who claimed his third stage from this year's race Tuesday when he won at Issoudun to take his career tally to seven.

glenp
    Free Member

So he's winning all the time, and annoying the French. Splendid.

I think some people are confused by what is racism – Cav is the same race as most French people. He has a different nationality.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sure he's fast, but I'd rather go down the pub for a drink with Bradley Wiggins or David Miller. Though now I think about it Vicky would be more preferable, but I've got a bit distracted now.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

FFS! im not making this up, Stephen Roche said cavendish needs to make his mind up, one minute he doesnt care about the jersey, that stage wins mean more, then he says he wants the jersey as it stands for so much……..

clubber
    Free Member

what he's actually said is that since he's not yet finished a Tour, his targets are first winning stages and finishing in Paris. He quite rightly (and not very arrogantly) said that planning to win green when you've never made Paris yet is a bit OTT. He's also quite reasonably said that he'd love to win green but with the aforementioned aims first for the reason stated.

If it becomes clear that he will make Paris (hard this year because of Ventoux on the penultimate day) then I'm sure he'll start going for the points at intermediate sprints. Nothing conflicting there at all unless you deliberately want to make something of it.

glenp
    Free Member

Indeed – if he openly said he wanted to win green when he's never even completed the distance – well that would be arrogant.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Blame Stephen Roche not me, he made it out like that….

clubber
    Free Member

c'mon, seriously, what does he know about bike racing 😉

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

We might take Stephen Roche seriously if he came clean about the drug taking during his Tour/Giro/World Champ year.

Ed2001
    Free Member

No we're blaming you Manchester Trev its more fun 😆

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Fair do's.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

It was beautiful the way the guys could just adapt to the situation to deliver me to a perfect position to sprint.

What an arrogant tosser taking all the credit and totally ignoring all the guys who got him there 🙄

epicyclo

No wonder Poms don't win much – too busy dragging down their real achievers.

Cav can say what he likes – he's earned the right. Why should he be humble? Like a fine wine, he's only going to get better, and no doubt mellower 🙂

Today was very nicely done, eh? and isn't it good to see British cyclists starting to claim the high ground.

Smee
    Free Member

Cav is never short of praise for the guys that help him. He is streets ahead of his closest competition. So what if he's wired to the moon – he has character. I cant be doing with bland people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘How many more stage wins does Cav need….’ is closed to new replies.