Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How long to keep an helmet before replacing?
  • ajf
    Free Member

I have had my helmet for a number of years now, had the occasional off and I am sure its stopped a few bumps and bruises but nothing major. Its seen better days but I was wondering if it is time for a replacement on safety grounds?

I am thinking its about 8 years old, polystyrene pitted but no cracks. Is it unsafe or not?

Is there any formal recommendations on how long to have a helmet for? Thats based on something other than a manufacturer saying buy another?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you’ve bashed it, change it.

iainc

have a google, a few studies say 5 yrs, a few helmet companies say 3 yrs.

British Cycling ask their coaches to stick to the 3 years, for themselves and any students they are coaching

timwillows
    Free Member

Manufactures will always give a low figure.

If you have a crash then change it, otherwise mine get binned after 5-6 years because they get too horrible to wear

ajf
    Free Member

Saw a few conflicting things on the internet and wasn’t really sure about going with a helmet manufacturers recommendation as that is always on the light side.

This thread may or may not be used as part of a discussion to open the house joint account funds to buy bike parts btw 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

If you’ve bashed it, change it.

This for me

thecaptain
    Free Member

Mine’s about 20 years. Got a bit knocked off when I dropped it yonks ago. Only a small corner though. I don’t expect it to save my life if I get run over by a lorry – not least because I usually don’t wear it on the road – but it does save me from branches to the head when MTBing in trees. Mind you it also means I hit branches that I’d have ducked under bare-headed.

philjunior
    Free Member

When you start saying an helmet like a BBC newsreader is about the time I’d say.

Seriously though I’d replace it if you’ve had it that long and had a few bashes.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said above 5 years but seems to be the key thing when not using them to keep them out of direct sun light but you can buy a new helmet and it was made 2/3 years ago don’t know if that’s good or bad thing helmets seem much cheaper than 20 years ago so I tend to use them for few years then use them to commute with and that seems to wreck the foam quite quick when you use it day after day.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’d like to revise my previous comment.

I have been bashing my helmet for 32 years and it’s fine, if a little worn around the edges.

YMMV

deadkenny
    Free Member

What about full face helmets? Mine gets rarely used and the poly stuff is not exposed so can’t see the condition. My regular lids do get noticeably worn looking on the poly surface over a few years even without crashing.

flossie
    Free Member

I’ve just changed my 10 year old bell. It was looking pretty tatty but still going strong. I’d say change it when you feel it can no longer do its job properly not when the helmet sellers tel you you need to.

flossie
    Free Member

I once had a purple Bell. Didn’t realise what I’d bought until the relentless ridicule started! Changed that one pretty quickly!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Apart from my full face that I only use a few times each year I change my road and mtb lids every few years. It’s not a great deal of money

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

3-5 years from the date of manufacture depending on who made it…. for something in the biking world that actual does it job I don’t mind spending out on a new lid, depending how dear your helmet is £10-20 a year isn’t bad return for protecting your head.

nickscots1
    Free Member

Both LAZER and BELL say 3years, on their website. Even if it’s been unused and stored in the box etc.

Not worth the risk having it longer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve still yet to see ANY independent studies saying polystyrene ages, even in sunlight.

Cyclists are perfect consumers, they’ll believe anything

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Recently spotted a split in my Spesh Vice helmet. No idea how long it’s been there but the helmet’s 5+ years old. Upgrade time!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I’ve still yet to see ANY independent studies saying polystyrene ages, even in sunlight.

Have you seen ANY that says it doesn’t?
    IE the reseach has been done by the people who are making and assesing their products.

poah
    Free Member

Watch a video of an old baby car seat and you’ll see why you should change your helmet after a few years.

Sandwich

Not the necessarily the polystyrene, the straps are sunlight sensitive. Black, full of sweat minerals and subject to UV 3 years max life for all the ones at work.

My head is definitely worth £80 to £150 every 3 years. YMMV.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 giro hex’s over the past 7 years. The first was replaced when a 30ft jump resulted in a completely caved in and compressed side. Just got a new Bell super 3 as my replacement hex was 5 years old and the straps/pads were all knackered and I’ve had the odd crash with a small bump to my head over the years.

rocketman
    Free Member

Probably a year at the most. I like to start the new year with a new lid

cynic-al
    Free Member

the reseach has been done by the people who are making and assesing selling their products.

FTFY

My head is definitely worth £80 to £150 every 3 years. YMMV.

Such a tiresome “point”, I won’t even bother.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So Al has anyone other making lids done the research, is there any contradictory research? Or do you just not want to believe it.

ratherbeintobago

Is there anywhere that old helmets can be recycled, by the way?

Saccades
    Free Member

MET state 8 years on their helmets (and imagine the engineering safety factor added there), they don’t use anything different to anyone else so I apply that to everything else out there.

I’d also drop this in for everyone to read:

UV has little effect on helmets shelflife

This website also blows away a lot of mis-conceptions (inc sweat):

Helmets website

iainc

All very vague though. Unfortunately when institutions adopt policies then it is difficult to argue the case, for example, as BC say 3 yrs, if you send your kid to coaching sessions with a 4 yr old helmet you can expect them to be told to come back with a new lid or not come back.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mike, your sentence doesn’t make sense.

You refer to research, what research is that?

elzorillo
    Free Member

35+ year (not worn it since about 1990 though)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How long to keep an helmet before replacing?’ is closed to new replies.