Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • How long do I keep unclaimed goods for before I can dispose of them?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I run a very small bike servicing company and a guy left his bike with me for a basic check over, repair to the brakes and have the gears set up. It’s only an Apollo but with new brake levers (he had bent the old ones) the bill is £39. He agreed the work and the price before I went ahead.

I have now been waiting 7 weeks for him to collect it. At first he was answering the phone and telling me he would be in soon to collect, but for the last 3 weeks his phone has either rung out, or gone straight to a message saying it’s temporarily unavailable.

I have sent him text messages but with no reply. I don’t have an address as he left it for me chained up outside the workshop one day…

So how long do I give it before moving it on? And does anyone have any suggestions on what else to do? I’m only a tiny business and really don’t have the space to store it.

Thanks

bencooper
    Free Member

You need to make “reasonable attempts” to contact the owner, then you are allowed to sell it. The ACT has more advice, I think.

Someone just picked up a bike that they’d left with me for a puncture repair in the summer.

Summer 2011, that is.

jon1973
    Free Member

There’s a LBS near me that start charging you a daily storage fee (£5/day) if you haven’t collected your bike a few days after having been told it’s ready to collect.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘How long do I keep unclaimed goods for before I can dispose of them?’ is closed to new replies.