Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How long do Hope headsets last?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Rattley cheap headset on one of my bikes needs to go.

I’m a bit off fan of Chris King headsets having had one for over 7 years without any complaints but they are rather expensive and Hope are excellent at customer service for lots on here as we’ll as myself.

At good (or bad) experiences with Hope headsets would be welcome.

trout
    Free Member

for me the hopes have been fit and forget items
    but then I do put CV joint grease in them when installing .

thekingisdead
    Free Member

So long I’ve lost count. 8 years or so for mine.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

7 years+ of abuse here and still running as smooth as the day it was fitted.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve had hope headsets for around 10 years. Kept meaning to ‘upgrade’ to CK when the hope ones died. Still waiting…

PiknMix
    Free Member

do they ever wear out? I am running one that’s been on about 3 different bikes, still perfect as if it was a fresh purchase.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Great, Hope it is.. Nice to buy British too.

Thanks all.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My Hope Enduro on my cove stiffee is still perfect after 11-12 years and approx 20,000 miles. Still on the original bearings too.
    Andy

kayak23

I think they’re rubbish!
    (Just providing some balance to the debate…)
    😉

Crag
    Free Member

I had to replace the bearings in mine after about 3 years, new bearings still smooth after about 4 now though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just replaced the lower bearing after 5 years of abuse and no maintenance

Sandwich

10 years of abuse here. Still going strong.

oxnop
    Free Member

I’ve either sold the bike/frame before the headset died.

Currently got hope on 2 bikes and both running perfectly after 2 years of abuse (infancy compared to some of you above!)

br
    Free Member

Do they wear out, possibly if fitted cack-handedly?

andyl
    Free Member

I’m sticking with Hope on all my builds from now on after trying one. Just being able to get any part easily is a huge plus and the split crown race means they are not a ball-ache to remove.

The original bearings are expensive and tbh I look after them so not sure I will use hope ones if/when they die but I can’t see that happening for a very long time as I protect them with grease behind the lower seal and a neoprene protector on 1.125″ ones (need to get one made for my tapered headset as it’s not a hope so doesnt have the seal)

martymac

ive had one on my road bike for nearly 3 weeks now and its fine.
    seriously.
    my wife offered to buy me a CK one for my birthday, but i actually felt that the hope one was equally good for about half the price.
    ive had cheap headsets last 7+ years with regular grease and proper adjustment, so i fully expect this to last a lifetime.

footflaps

I’m normally very critical of Hope, but the Hope headset which I bought in 2003 is on it’s second frame now and original bearings and is smooth as the day I bought it!

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve had one since June 2008, original bearings still. I noticed a slight bit of play on the last ride though. How many miles? who knows, thousands.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Mines been on three bikes and the last two I installed the headset using a chock of wood and a mallet. Not a problem.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Do any decent headsets wear out in the life of the bike if fitted properly and greased occasionally? I’ve never spent more than £20 on a headset and never had one wear out. Got 10 year old FSAs still going strong.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Only headset I’ve had wear out was old cage bearing style and was wrecked by my ignorance at the time of hosing down the bike, washing out the bearing grease.

Since had a a few other headsets, FSA, On One and Hope, and no issues with any. The FSA was replaced with the On One but only because I cannibalised the old bike to build a C456 and needed a different headset for the new frame.

So long as you have sealed bearings, keep the crud and more importantly water & degreasers out and fit everything correctly, they’ll last for yonks.

Northwind

Bearings in the Hope seem absolutely identical to those in the £25 Cane Creek S8, and both have a similiar extra seal at the bottom. Can’t recall if my Hope had an extra seal on top or not. But all in all, the 2 seem functionally absolutely identical, just one costs about 2/3ths as much as the other.

You don’t have to spend a lot to get a fantastic headset.

Reluctant
    Free Member

About 5 years for mine now. It was feeling a bit rough last year, so I stripped it down, cleaned and re-greased hoping to eek it out anouth few months ~ been fine ever since 🙂

Northwind

Oh, typo 🙂 Wrote 2/3ths, meant 2/5ths.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’m normally very critical of Hope, but the Hope headset which I bought in 2003 is on it’s second frame now and original bearings and is smooth as the day I bought it!

Ditto, exactly my experience too. I’d go for CK every time though, or an FSA XL2 if in a budget

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How long do Hope headsets last?’ is closed to new replies.