Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • How is work at the moment?
  • Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I work for a well-known insurance company. It’s mental. Everyone’s f*cked. Just knackered and stressed. Lots of politics and fighting at the top.
    Is everyone’s work stressy at the moment or is it just us?

I work for RBS and it’s toilet. Our office is closing, we’re being moved halfway across london, and despite the fact we’re gone in 3m, no ones yet been told what help/assistance they can expect. Its going to turn my travel to a 2.5h journey each way for a low paid clerical job in claims, the tossrrs won’t make anyone “redundant” so it seems constructive dismissal is the only route forwards.

Honestly, a lot of people have just given up…

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Turn up, get paid, go home.

We’re on another restructure after the last one has just finished which lasted since I started here 5 years ago (Higher Education Establishment). No-one can be arsed anymore it seems. As my dasd used to say;

‘You don’t get paid to enjoy it, if you did, you’d be paying them…’

Doesn’t help me get out of bed in a morning though!

Haze

Busy idiots here in manufacturing.

Luckily I’m leaving tomorrow before they ship what’s left of our order book over to our Polish plant, never to be seen again.

Starting in a sub-contract drawing office, servicing the construction industry.

With lots more holiday! 😀

cp

The busiest we’ve been in the last couple of decades probably. Massive order book, not enough bodies to get the kit out of the door. Days fly by though!

philconsequence
    Free Member

horrible, that’s all i can say without breaching confidentiality considering the press interest in some of our residents. seriously considering stopping nursing and working in a mobile phone shop or tescos or something.

hughjengin
    Free Member

was gonna get cocky but hughjenjin above is a mate and am worried about him

ha ha cheers mate, Still battling on mind. A pay decrease and a skipped salary this month isnt as bad as being jobless ! On the other hand spunking a load of cash on fancy new bike bits is a non starter at the moment. 🙂 If everything goes pear shape can myself, Mrs Jengin and all the little Jengins come and move into your log cabin ?

Phil_H

“its called work for a reason, it’s not supposed to be fun”
    “just be thank full you’ve got a job”
    “everyone needs to be flexible”
    is the attitude of senior management as they slope off home between 1600 & 1700

It feels like I’m waiting for the final cigarette & blindfold.
    It’s now at the point where if it does happen I’ll just be glad that it’s over. I quite like what I do but ……….

Oh and talking about it on the internet is a disciplinary offence 😮

donsimon
    Free Member

After 6 months of hell, basically nose to the grindstone and pure grafting for little rewards, things are picking up for me. 😆 Not in a smug way, I’ve just been through the shit. The country, however, is about to enter phase two, I was told at the beginning of the week that 200,000 house repossessions are expected this year. The first wave folks who received unemployment benefit are coming to the end of the two year period and wil have to fend for themselves, that’ll result in more job losses and closing businesses.
    Good news is that I can park pretty much at the doors of the supermarket or shopping centre, the car parks are empty!

Raymond

I have a strategy of doing as little as possible while getting paid as much as I can. Its going ok so far but does involve working for a german lawyer (I’ve got nothing against germans or lawyers per se, but the combination is not good)

lowey

Hand to mouth in the Building trade for us at the moment and has been for the last couple of years. Would give my right arm for a bit of continuity,

Nick… what part of the telecoms are you involved with ? Any Civils on them ?

_tom_
    Free Member

Slow and boring. Not enough video work coming in. Another interview on Monday though, really hope I can get a new job.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s busy but slightly tricky, customers are being very picky and so I’m having to work hard to make things work properly and smoothly on the plus side the days are flying by.

It’s good that the people I work with are decent and non irritating.

thepurist

Nearly gone – winding up my own business after 2 disastrous years and no sign of any improvement. Looked for a way back into IT/consultancy for a bit but there seems to be no likelihood of that after a 7 year career gap, so it’s back to school for me.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Fairly good – I really enjoy my job as I consider that I work in a worthwhile field. Pay’s not good though, and the organisation I work for rely on Local Authorities for income, which is not a great position to be in! My 1 years contract is up in June, and I’m being realistic about renewal. I’m only in an office about 10% of the week though, and still seem to get dragged into office politics slightly…

Also have a p/t job which I enjoy (that’s for an LA, and the department will be massively re-structured next year, so I may not have a p/t job after that) and also work freelance. It’s the freelance bit that’s paying for a lovely biking trip this year 🙂

Northwind

Jujuuk68 – Member

“I work for RBS and it’s toilet. Our office is closing, we’re being moved halfway across london, and despite the fact we’re gone in 3m, no ones yet been told what help/assistance they can expect. Its going to turn my travel to a 2.5h journey each way for a low paid clerical job in claims, the tossrrs won’t make anyone “redundant” so it seems constructive dismissal is the only route forwards.”

<channels TJ>
    Are you in a union?

It was the exact same story at our shower (LTSB), jobs being closed up but then management taking a mad, deny-it-all, approach and trying to shoehorn people into other completely different jobs. “But it’s the same as what you’re doing now!” was what we heard when they tried to move us from a highly skilled support area to a credit card callcentre and we all said **** right off. Then we agreed to go and see a different business area which was just as inappropriate and turned out to be a huge demotion, but when we said “This isn’t right” were told “You went to see the job, you’ve accepted it”.

Basically if they can bully or scam people into going along with it they will, if you dig your heels in and protest and play it by the book you’ll probably find that the front goes and then they also do it by the book. Good luck!

We joked that HR and redundancies was the only growth area in the company but it turns out they’ve not increased resources at all which just means everything collapses. But still you get all the promises as if nothing’s wrong.

ononeorange

Never been an option to work less than 10-11+ hours a day.

Quite enjoy my job itself but would love to have some time back every now and then. Taking my first week off next week for quite a while, but that will probably be largely spent on the Blackberry. Oh well.

Surprised at OP’s comments about insurance companies. We share an office with one and from what I can see their world seems to largely consist of chatting with their mates in Lloyds and then off to the pub…..obviously a different type of insurance co to yours then!

molgrips
    Free Member

Pros:

I’m self employed getting paid well to do not very much work that’s easy. I coast, and I’m still producing more quickly than anyone else so bosses are happy. I’m well out of office politics and am not involved in the company as a whole.

Cons:

I’m bored out of my mind each day.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Made redundant after 20 years in the psychometrics business but got a job setting up and managing a commercial postroom in Wapping.

Treading water at the mo’ and earning comparatively minor ducats but promises have been made for 2011.

Fingers crossed.

postierich
    Free Member

Things are looking up hopefully moving in 2/3 months and going from fulltime 40hrs to 30hrs parttime same shite just a few less hours to do.Lakes on my doorstep and a possible new venture if we get the property right.

project
    Free Member

Very quiet for me at the moment, nobody is having work done, but then most of them attended job creation work at thelocal councils, and health services now their jobs are going, along with all the money lending jobs in chester where i work.

The only thing booming is bike theft, and im not into that,but can offer lots of security advice or secure your shed etc.

kimbers

restructuring here in the face of looming government cuts, people in tear lots of HR meetings etc
    still busy as usual though!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay well good. Working 18 hour days at the minute as we are working on a job which is also at least 1 hour commute away from home however it’s interesting and at least I get paid well in over time or rest day working. however there is often a lot of politics surrounding the job which can frustrate and tire you out which you don’t need on a long day. Today’s day is that long I have a hotel booked for the night and I’m at work now waiting for something particular to happen so I can progress the work. So in a nutshell okay although I’m a tad tired and want to ride my bike 🙁 Sundays’ ride (my 1 day off in 17 days) sucked as it was horrifically muddy and cold.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Not as bad as some, but could be better. Been placed under supervision of a fashion as manager & work colleague feel that my memory & decision making process are f*cked and I’m no longer capable of fully undertaking my role. To me it feels like discrimination & cost cutting, if they get rid of me or redploy me to a lower pay band they’ll save some £££££’s.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Working as a systems Engineer at Royal Mail at the mo, but the company’s completely imploding, as the nepotism and promotions to useless sycophants is finally coming home to roost.
    I have my CV out far and wide, as I’m thoroughly cheesed off with the daily infighting (some of it actually physical).

MoreCashThanDash

Working in an obscure part of the civil service doing bits connected to benefits that may well disappear in 2013 and other arcane legislation with a declining customer base.

20% of our staff will be going at the end of June based on current work forecasts, pretty sure no one volunteered to take the voluntary option, got an interesting few months coming up!

tonyg2003

Incredibly busy here. The area of our business that I’m leading quadrupled last year (company did 70% overall growth) and has kept on growing this year. I guess that we are a very fortunate outlier (probably in top 10 fastest growing UK company in year). Just trying to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

our place is busy and the downturn ‘so far’ has not hit us (engineering firm that make very bespoke bits for the offshore market)

i hate the job but there is noway i can complain, a good few close friends have been let go recently in other jobs and its brought home how lucky i am.

infact when i get out of the car in the works carpark and walk to the door i whisper to myself “you have a job” – its bloody scary out there and i feel for anyone going through the mill at the moment.

Milky
    Free Member

I quit my job yesterday!

Forget that lark, working’s for losers!

Come the end of the month I’m going to be travelling the UK riding my bike for the next five months at least.
    Follow that with a bit of part time until the weather really sets in again for winter and then I shall go back to working full time again until the Spring.
    Next year I’m going abroad to ride.

Great here. Work for myself contracting and earning daft money at the moment with zero stress

timber

Great!
    It’s dried up enough for us to get into the top clearfell block. BIG fun. Have our sights on another 40 acres.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘How is work at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.