Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • How good is having babies?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well?

How old were you when you had your first, your last?
    How long had you been with your partner?

I think one could be a good alternative to chatting rubbish on here…

16stonepig
    Free Member

I understand it stings a bit.

druidh
    Free Member

You might have a problem, seeing as how you lack some of the essential equipment.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh cheers druidh… pee on my bonfire in 3 posts!

swavis

I’m 33, have been with his mummy for nearly 7 years and litte ‘un is 11 months. It rawks! Fact! 😀

camo16
    Free Member

Even watching stung a bit. 😳

Harry_the_Spider

My wife was less than impressed with the “having” bit. Once out they are OK if you can get through the first 18 weeks.

I was 38 and 40 for my two and we’d been together for 8 years. Don’t want any more.

Has Mrs Yeti started looking at prams?

ransos
    Free Member

33, been with Mrs R about 7 years, Miss R now 5 months old. Parenthood is extremely demanding, and I couldn’t care less – she’s great!

wwaswas

Physically, I didn’t feel a thing.

Emotionally, holding my first child as he opened his eyes and looked at the world for the first time is probably the most intense experience I’ve ever had.

And then he didn’t sleep for more than 3 hours in one go for 2 years which weas another intense emotional experience.

30 for first, 35 for second and last (see above for explanation of big gap).

18 months then, 16 years now – son’s 15 at the end of this month.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Awwwwesome swavis… let’s have some baby stories. I’m bored as **** of isms and schisms… everyone loves a baby though.

cinnamon_girl

Do you have some news to share Sammy-Louise?

xx

theteaboy
    Free Member

While my wife was in labour I banged my knee on the hospital bed.

I borrowed her gas and air and it felt much better until she punched me and demanded the return of the mask.

She got me back when our second was born – her waters broke all over my best trainers and they had to be incinerated as clinical waste.

ransos
    Free Member

Even watching stung a bit.

Aye. If you want to avoid perpetual night terrors, I’d advise that you stay northside.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No mini TJs around. Never wanted one.

timnwild

It’s great being a Dad, I absolutely love it. Not a day goes by without some small moment between my daughter and I, or my daughter and my wife, that makes me feel good.

It makes for a boring post, but it’s true.

camo16
    Free Member

Ours is now almost 7.

Every ‘first’ is noted and admired. Memories of the nastiness and the pogs are erased each night at 12.01am.

Last week, for example, was his first proper pun.

Apparently, there’s an evil kid called Noah in his class. Noah likes to strangle the other kiddies.

My boy called him a ‘Noah Constrictor’

I’m proper proud, me. :mrgreen:

geetee1972
    Free Member

TSY I once read that on a ‘happiness scale’ the happiest people in society are those that are voluntarily childless, i.e. they don’t have kids and they don’t want kids.

The unhappiest are those that want kids but don’t/can’t have them.

Between them are the ‘wanted kids and have kids’ who are just above those who ‘didn’t want kids but have kids’.

What does this tell us? Not much really other than no one can ever tell you how good or otherwise having kids is; you just have to find out for yourself.

What I would say is that you do have to give up an awful lot so you better make sure that you do really want them, otherwise it’s one hell of a sacrifice!

My own experience is that I was always ambivalent about having them; I didn’t ‘need’ to have them but then again I didn’t not want to have them. My son is now two years old and I can’t begin to describe how he makes me feel.

wwaswas

happiest people in society are those that are voluntarily childless

TJ is the happiest person in society?

Well I never.

passtherizla
    Free Member

The current state of the planet makes me think the apocolypse is coming and i feel a bit guilty about subjecting a little human to the bleak future, but it’s rad! I have been with his mother 3 years and he is 5 months old. I am 31 and a half or (378 months in baby ages) 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

No mini TJs around

There is a God 😉

wwaswas

31 and a half or (378 months in baby ages)

Took my then 3 week old daughter with my son when he went for a haircut.

Hairdresser to son: “How old is your sister?”

Boy: “Zero.”

(I subsequently explained to my son that babies ages are not measured in years)

TooTall
    Free Member

A nation breathes a quiet prayer of thanks.

Kryton57

Its emotionally draining, very hard work and a serious increase in responsibility – for all the right reasons.

Never been happier, and am proud of Jnr every day, from the first day he “arrived”, to yesterday when he wouldnt go to sleep ’cause he wanted to see next doors fireworks.

Its seems to be one of those things thats hard (for me anyway) to convey to people who dont have kids though

*PS, its stung for me too, I pulled a calf muscle whilst watching Jnr enter the world…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nice one people.

No mini TJs around

I don’t think there are any ‘little’ Hitters around.

clubber
    Free Member

Brilliant, awful, terrifying, fantastic.

I guess the most telling thing for me is that all the parents I know would never, given the option, go back in time and not have the kids they have.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got one.

Babies are rubbish, kids are great 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

In many ways, DezB’s post sums up many men’s experiences actually…

joao3v16
    Free Member

Our latest (2nd) was born at the end of May.

HRH insisted on an epidural this time round, after which it seemed pretty easy from where I was standing. And at least she got to lie down through the whole thing. I had to stand.

( 😉 Only joking)

It’s not just the mother who suffers during labour.

Apparently, if we were to experience now the same stress and trauma that a baby experiences during a natural birth it would kill most of us.

stevie750

had first when I was 21, he is at uni now
    had second when I was 38, she is two and is cute as a button.

was at birth of first but second ran into complications and wasn’t allowed into theatre as GF was going under a general. seen notes “knife to skin at 6:07, baby born 6:11”

DezB
    Free Member

On a serious note – I recently faced a worrying time in my marriage and the thought of not seeing my boy every single day really (I mean REALLY) broke me up.

And I never wanted kids!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was 42 (wife was 33) when we had our twins. They are now 2 (and a bit) and, although they are unrelentingly frustrating at times I simply cannot express how happy they make me. Just this morning they woke us early (around 6am) and got into bed with us and I just held Evie in my arms and drifted back off to sleep with her. Words can’t really express the love I have for them.

nbt

The unhappiest are those that want kids but don’t/can’t have them

I can see how that would be true. Took me a long while to come to terms with it. Not over it, but accepting.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I cant muster words that adequately express how I feel about my 2 girls (8 and 5), almost nothing else matters, even sleep thankfully because permanent sleep depravation is one of the trade offs.

The most joyful is watching their expressions/reactions/excitement as you know they are experiencing things for the first time ever in their life – that sense of awe and excitement that we ourselves feel so rarely due to experience.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

On a serious note – I recently faced a worrying time in my marriage and the thought of not seeing my boy every single day really (I mean REALLY) broke me up.

I can understand what you mean. I worry (completely without foundation) that one day my wife will want to leave me and I won’t get to see mine every day. I often think about it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Non pour Moi & MrsBouy. We’ve chatted about it for sure, some conversations were/have been less constructive, but both of us are happy childless at the moment anyhoo’s.. MrsBouys “inner” clock is most definetly chiming a loud bell though, so if we do it’ll be in the next few years, which will probably be about right in our little world.

Bikebouys Sis though has 4, set out early on in life to have 4 and got it all over and done with sharpish.. All at uni now (my God!) and doing extreemly well indeedy.

I sometimes feel like I’ve missed some sort of boat, though to be fair to me I’ve never wanted children with anyone else except MrsBouy, so if thats right for me then I’m a happy Bouy indeedy.

I was going to start this comment by stating “they’re ok but couldn’t eat a whole one” but for some reason my fingers seem to be typing my inner thoughts instead of jokeybloie typo…

Hmmmmmm

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The unhappiest are those that want kids but don’t/can’t have them

Yes we needed IVF to have our girls and the pain we went through (even though we were successful on our first attempt) was immense – especially as all our friends around us had kids/were pregnant. Brought us both to tears sometimes.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The most joyful is watching their expressions/reactions/excitement as you know they are experiencing things for the first time ever in their life

Beautiful. Nice one sugdenr

Janesy
    Free Member

Well I read the title of the thread and did a 🙁 Again we would love kids but cant… well 1 out of 3 goes of ivf icsi didnt work so again 🙁

We hope and pray but you never know in 6 month it may all come together 🙂

GrahamS

It’s awesome. Oddly I’ve never been someone who enjoys “responsibility” but I absolutely love being a dad.

To answer the OP, I was 35 when we had our daughter, 19 months ago now. We’ll be thinking about another one soonish.

I’d only been married for four and a bit years, but with my partner since 1995ish.

If you want to avoid perpetual night terrors, I’d advise that you stay northside.

Yeah. As I carried our precious bundle across the operating theatre (C-section) I glanced back with tear-filled eyes and accidentally saw around “the screen” and into my wife’s bloody eviscerated body. 😯

She’s definitely prettier on the outside!

roper
    Free Member

the roper household has some new babies 🙂

A couple of days old.
    Not sure how many there are yet but I guess 15 to 20 or so.
    Mother and lings all doing well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘How good is having babies?’ is closed to new replies.