Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • How good is Giant's Maestro suspension system! (Statement, not a question)
  • angryratio
    Free Member

My mate rides a trance and he rides it like a mini downhill bike.
    Absolutely hammers it down glentress on a regular basis. Pedals rather nicely as well.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

the trance X can just be hammered down hill so nicely, and it still climbs! I wont be trying any other suspension design in a hurry, giants are just built too well and are perfect!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

how are people finding the bearing life these days?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cullen-bay
    Free Member

the bushings last for a while if they are titanium/ceramic…. heh

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Bit of an update on my Trance X. I put 140mm Pikes on it and it goes much faster in every scenario now. Far better than the Recons it came with. I identified a problem with the top bushings on the rear shock where they had worn and seized a little so I wasn't getting the most out of it. After greasing these it feels way better and I'm just waiting for a needle bearing kit to arrive to replace the dodgy bushing system.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

where are the needle bearing kits from?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I'm interested too…

retro83
    Free Member

Real World Cycling/Enduro are the best
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Real World Cycling/Enduro are the best

This is where I've ordered mine from too. You need to make sure you order the correct ones obviously. I'll let you know how I get on with fitting mine.

househusband
    Free Member

I've only had a couple of full-sus bikes (Marin quad link, 4-bar with Horst Link) over the years, but the Maestro on the Trance I have is certainly the most pleasurable system I've ridden – plush and effective, great for climbing. Don't bother with the ProPedal much as so effective without – surely a sign of an efficient design?

malibu_babe_28
    Free Member

I found that I needed to replace the bearings after a year (although that was better life than the BB which lasted 6 months 🙁 ). All bearings are easily available on ebay or simply bearings – just read the bearing number off the rubber seals. Bashing the bearings out is rather stressful though, and the bearing removal kit at £80 is a rip off. Anyone found a good method for this?

rootes1

after having a go on an anthem and my sis trance – i think it works really well, no need for pro pedal rubbish – sign of a good design…

now they just need to release the 29er Anthem for us tall bods

Phototim
    Free Member

09 trance x3 with forks upgraded straight away to talas 140s. Maestro is good but HA is a little steep. Upgrading the forks helps. Other than that the bike is sweet. 2011 version will be half a degree slacker.

Andituk
    Free Member

They've made the top tube straight and skinny for 2011 though, and it looks bloody awful 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey Giant fans, check out my Trance frame for sale…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-giant-trance-frame-w-pushed-shock-reba-team-with-maxle-lite

Sorry for the spam, but I thought one of you might be interested. It's very light and great fun to ride, the Pushed shock is amazing.

Mars2003
    Free Member

I've just got a 2010 Trance X3 and after a bit of part swapping, had a bit of a play around at GT on Friday evening.

My previous bike was an 06 Trance with U-Turn Revs that I wound down to 100mm for climbing, so I thought I'd have probs with the F120 Fox fork being too short, but so far it feels ok. It needs an outing on some steeper ups and downs before I know for sure.

What I can tell though is that I'll not miss the pro-pedal lever my older version had, Maestro design just doesn't seem to need it.

p.s. 2011 version looks like a crossbreed of Anthem and Trance, not convinced.

joeegg
    Free Member

My Reign is coming up to 3 years old and the only other bike i'd look at is a Trance X.After years of riding single pivot,this suspension system is great.It gets on with the job,uphill or downhill,and the finish of my Giant is the best of any bike i have had.Why more people aren't buying these over the boutique stuff and saving themselves a packet beats me.
    Guess vanity comes first.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Why more people aren't buying these over the boutique stuff and saving themselves a packet beats me

Two years ago I properly tested (1 hr+ rides) a Reign and a SC Blur LT back to back on consecutive days. The Reign was a good bike but the Blur IMO was just better in every respect. I therefore bought the Blur because it was better enough to justify the price difference

chakaping
    Free Member

Why more people aren't buying these over the boutique stuff and saving themselves a packet beats me.
    Guess vanity comes first.

Giant are a bit underrated (apart from the Anthem X perhaps) and make very good frames IMO, but their geometry is usually a bit on the XC side – and not everyone wants that.

zangolin
    Free Member

Love my Glory – it really does float over the rough stuff.

Mugboo

My mate broke the lower linkage on his Reign (same bronze one as Chapakings).

We were at the top of Helvellyn when we noticed! Anyhow only one side was broken and he made it down without a problem.

Bikes 18mnths old and new linkage provided under warranty without any argument. Well done Pauls Cycles

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How good is Giant's Maestro suspension system! (Statement, not a question)’ is closed to new replies.