Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I pedal the short distance daily between Lancaster and Morecambe – about 4 and a bit miles and mostly flat. I do it in my work clothes as I don’t see the point of getting changed or showered for such a short distance. I can break a sweat if I press on the pedals but if I knock it down a notch or two I only get mildly moist :mrgreen:

But almost everyone else I seeis all lycra’d up with fluro this and softshell that.

What do others feel is the cut off point where they’d don the lycra?

epicsteve
    Free Member

My commute to work is about 3.5 miles via the most direct on-road route. I could do the ride there in road clothes no problem as it’s slightly downhill and usually with the wind, however it’d be a different story on the way home.

Even on the way in I do tend to push for a 20mph average speed which gets my heart rate up and a bit of a sweat going.

racefaceec90

have ridden a 100 miler in the past in jeans/t shirt (when i was a lot fitter/stupider?) than i am now.at the time couldn’t afford proper biking gear.

Tom83

I commute 10 miles each way, i usually wear shorts and a jersey or t shirt. It’s all on country lanes with some nice climbs, use my 140mm fs bike with knobblies on, so get a good work out.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Mine is 5-6 miles depending on route and always wear cycle kit. Would wear short and T-shirt anyway as have a shower at work so may as well wear my cycle kit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

epicsteve – wouldn’t it be easier to combine them into one single ride, just for simplicity?

Trekster

Makes yer choice and do whatever 😆
    5mls + full kit including full fluro in poor weather/winter days/nights

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – wouldn’t it be easier to combine them into one single ride, just for simplicity?

Initially wondered what you meant but I’ve now spotted and fixed the typo!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Until recently I did a 15 mile round trip in normal clothes (+ helemt & gloves) and working away I now regularly do 18-26+ mile evening rides in normal clothes. It’s not necessary to ‘look the part’ all the time. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, and we’re going touring soon (200 miles of up to 40 mile days) and same as last year, my only further concession to cycling gear will be decent cycling shorts under my normal shorts. I’ll probably ride most of it in sandals too. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hey it’s early.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wouldn’t do more than a couple of miles wearing a shirt I intended to wear all day at work. And in summer it’s a no-no anyway, wear a lightweight tech top for the commute and then change into work short at work.

skiboy
    Free Member

7 miles each way , I have work bike kit endura shorts , spds, lifa base , 2 jackets 1 shower packer 1 full
    Winter styleee, ride all year round so it’s a must

fasthaggis

to the op.
    If you look round your workspace you can see ‘Tomaso smells ‘ written in the dust 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

7 miles and I ride in all conditions – I don’t use top notch kit I use cheap but functional Lidl stuff – So when I get there wet and muddy then I can get changed and dont stink – I don’t mind getting up a sweat!

DezB
    Free Member

No way could I ride more than about 5 miles in normal clothes, then work the whole day in them, but I’m a sweaty bugger.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i do around 7 miles but there is one reasonable climb. i have done it in jeans before but they are awful to ride in.

i have some dedicated commuter kit as i was tired of wrecking good stuff and having to ride in in tights which were muddy from mtbing or having to wear dirty kit on a weekend after a weeks commuting.

it’s the climb that makes me sweat if it was flat i would re-evaluate what i wore.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I know someone who used to get up in full (roadie) Kit and then ride about a mile to work… 😐

stevious

The real question is to whom do you have to justify your choice of clothing for a commute?

crazy-legs

Only time I’d consider wearing normal clothes is if I was riding a few mins round the corner to the pub or a mates house or something.

Commuting I have a rucksack which makes my back a bit sweaty, the route has hills and is nearly 20 miles. I’ve got full changing/shower/drying facilities at work so it’d be daft to consider anything else.

llama

Everyone I know who commutes in civies gives it a miss when the weather is bad.

Either that or they go the jacket, overtrousers, overshoes route, which is basicly cycling kit.

If you have the right kit for the job why not wear it?

Assuming you would have a shower every morning anyway, and assuming there was one at work, what difference does it make to take it there?

tomaso
    Free Member

I can only speak for myself and do what I want just as I expect everyone else to do what they want. I just wanted to understand what other folks did and what they considered a distance worthy of the hassle of getting kitted up and then changed for work.

I certainly don’t want to change or decry what others are doing – its a free country and all :mrgreen:

angryratio
    Free Member

10 miles.. and 40 min ride.
    Change every morning and shower when arriving at work. I usually end up playing the “game” every morning anyway even if i tell myself i won’t.

ourmaninthenorth

If you have the right kit for the job why not wear it?

^^^ is the standard British approach to everything and the reason why cycling is far from ingrained in our culture.

Cycling is sold as physical activity. Physical activity is like sport. Sport requires special equipment. Special equipment for cycling = fluro jackets worn in the height of summer and going to the shops in lycra.

More people would ride bikes to go to work/the shops/on local journeys if a perception of cycling wan’t that it was a separate and specific physical activity, rather than just a way to get around.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Theres far too many people who seem completely scared to getting slightly sweaty on the way to work. Maybe its because bikes are sold as “sports” goods rather than just plain old workhorses, or maybe because you have to adopt vehicular cycling methods which mean you’re going flat out? it seems to be lumped into the “exercise” category like going to the gym or for a run, but go a bit slower and you get no more sweaty than walking, or even getting the bus/tube/train on a hot day. wierd. And its pointless going faster to save time if you need to spend 5-10 minutes getting changed at the end.

Having said that, i get changed because i don’t want to wear a hole in the crotch of my smart trousers.

prezet
    Free Member

7 miles each way fixed. Definitely get sweaty – no way could I sit around in clothes I’ve ridden in, would end up being moved to the furthest corner of the office.

But then I do ‘go for it’ – I see it as part of my daily exercise, so have a steady pace of 17-20mph. I can’t understand how some people commute without getting sweaty.

The office doesn’t have showers, so I use baby wipes and a decent deodorant. Leave a change of clothes in the office and just carry what I need in my pack.

TPTcruiser

Old workplace, 2 1/2 miles, work clothes no problems.
    New workplace, 11 miles, suitable gear. No shower accessible, so wipe down and change.
    I could see 4 miles would be my threshold and may depend on the day ahead at work, if there was a meeting I may not push as hard as one of those quiet days where no visitors expected. Wear the gear if there was opportunity to expand on route home.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Over, say, 5 miles at a decent pace and I’d have to think about changing and showering at work. So if I’d got cycling kit I could be wearing then I’d probably wear it.

If no need to change then normal clothes. But not jeans! I used to live in jeans and now I only wear them around the house really.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cycling is sold as physical activity. Physical activity is like sport. Sport requires special equipment. Special equipment for cycling = fluro jackets worn in the height of summer and going to the shops in lycra.

More people would ride bikes to go to work/the shops/on local journeys if a perception of cycling wan’t that it was a separate and specific physical activity, rather than just a way to get around.

Zoolander
    Free Member

3.5 miles in to work. In the winter it’s shorts,workshirt and jacket. Now it’s summer it’s shirts and cycle top -otherwise I’ll have to wear a sweaty shirt all day. Trousers and shoes live at work!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t understand how some people commute without getting sweaty.

They don’t go too fast! Using your figures, at 18 mph you take 23m20s to do your journey. I did an 18 mile round trip last night (on an MTB with slicks & panniers with a duff leg!) at 14mph. Your trip would take 30m00s at that pace. 6m40s slower. Time saved by not having to get changed and bugger about with baby wipes! 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

They don’t go too fast! Using your figures, at 18 mph you take 23m20s to do your journey. I did an 18 mile round trip last night (on an MTB with slicks & panniers with a duff leg!) at 14mph. Your trip would take 30m00s at that pace. 6m40s slower. Time saved by not having to get changed and bugger about with baby wipes!

Depends what you want though doesn’t it, it’s not just about total time taken. Sure you can pootle along (and sometimes I do) but I like a good blast in the mornings, and if that means I need a bit more time to sort myself out at the other end then so be it.

molgrips
    Free Member

More people would ride bikes to go to work/the shops/on local journeys if a perception of cycling wan’t that it was a separate and specific physical activity, rather than just a way to get around

The number of people I see riding bikes in normal clothes (ie almost every single one) would suggest that is not an issue 🙂

I thought the thread was not about specific clothing to make riding ‘better’, rather how sweaty can you let your work clothes get?

I used to ride 4.5 miles in my work clothes, but I could dress casually and I’d wear semi-technical (ie non cotton) t-shirts mostly, and it was downhill on the way in. In the height of summer I’d take another shirt and just swap them whilst walking between the bike shed and the door. Oh, and I used a courier bag which really helps cut down the back-sweat issue.

PP to be fair I personally would not do a long ride in sandals.. I hate riding far in soft soled shoes, it makes it that much harder work I reckon. However I accept your choice is perfectly legitimate and will not pass judgement 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

The number of people I see riding bikes in normal clothes (ie almost every single one) would suggest that is not an issue

My point is more about the perceived barrier to riding bikes, rather than those already doing it. We seem to have a conflict in the UK: increasingly we see movement in favour of a more Netherlands/Belgian/Danish style of bike usage, but at the same time create an entry restriction in the way cycling is sold as a “healthy” in the same way jogging and gym membership is.

Mind you, I also have views on the prevalence of mountain bikes, rather than sit-up-and-beg dutch style bikes, as a hindrance to more mainstream cycling.

(As it is, my commute used to be 17 miles each way, so i wore cycling clothes (rather than my suit) and ride year round. New commute (as yet unridden) is 15 miles each way. I’ll still wear cycling clothes. Were it 5 miles or under, I’d wear normal clothes.)

prezet
    Free Member

They don’t go too fast! Using your figures, at 18 mph you take 23m20s to do your journey. I did an 18 mile round trip last night (on an MTB with slicks & panniers with a duff leg!) at 14mph. Your trip would take 30m00s at that pace. 6m40s slower. Time saved by not having to get changed and bugger about with baby wipes!

The whole point being I use my commute as part of my training/fitness routine – I push a little harder so I get more out of it.

For 4 miles ride I wouldn’t bother wearing ‘riding specific’ clothing like a jersey. Would probably just ride in baggies and t-shirt. But I certainly wouldn’t wear the clothing I was expecting to spend the rest of the day in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP to be fair I personally would not do a long ride in sandals

I do it all the time. Tevas or Chacos usually. It’s just like wearing trainers but cooler. Last year in Cornwall it threw it down with rain one day and they were perfect for that!
    But yeah, I accept it’s not for everyone! 🙂

GW
    Free Member

is 3 or 4 miles even considered “commuting”?
    no way I’d wear bike specific clothing, shoes or a helmet for a ride that short infact (if it wasn’t too hilly) I’d probably use a BMX

resisted
    Free Member

22 mile round trip for me mix of lanes, bridleway, bit of singletrack. I wear full lycra every day. I don’t have the figure for it but it’s just more comfortable.

anto164
    Free Member

I ride 3 miles to work wearing my MTB baggies and a merino tee.

No way am i riding to work in suit pants and a polo shirt. (Especially because of the SPD-SLs on the road bike :D)

saxabar
    Free Member

12-14 mile round-trip with hills for me. Shorts, base layer and trainers for the ride; leave clothes at work for a few days so not have to lug them around each trip. No shower though and there’s a bugger of a hill on the way in so there’s a balancing act of effort/not sweating to be played.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?’ is closed to new replies.