Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I commute to the train station every morning, I wear my office clothes and all’s well. If I rode then possibly I’d have to wear other stuff, but for what I do, no need.

clubber
    Free Member

If it hasn’t already been said, it really just depends. I used to ride in with a guy – 12 miles each way – who didn’t shower and I can’t say I ever noticed him smell but then he doesn’t sweat much.

I on the otherhand would work up a sweat if riding much more than a mile – maybe two or three if I took it very easy and it wasn’t too warm so I pretty much have to wear cycling kit and change once in.

DezB
    Free Member

How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?
    Proper answer:

ZERO miles. You don’t have to justify nuffin to nobody.

dave1980
    Free Member

I wear work gear on way in as need an ironed shirt and its not too far. If was a longer commute (only 1.5 miles over a hill) I’d wear cycling gear, but I’d then have to drive 1 day a week and drop off 4 ironed shirts at work. Much more hassle than just cycling a bit slower, especially as we are a 1 car family.

I suspect the “never ride in work gear” crowd have the luxury of never needing an ironed shirt or are driving in now and again?

take it easy on the way in, graft on the way home 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

I do it all the time. Tevas or Chacos usually.

Chacos might be ok, they are pretty stiff. I quite fancy some of those Keen SPD ones 🙂

resisted
    Free Member

but I’d then have to drive 1 day a week and drop off 4 ironed shirts at work

Chrome Kremlin Messenger does the trick for that! If I got stuck somewhere I reckon I could pitch it as a tent it’s so big!

nicko74

er… about 3km. Seriously – lid, gloves, shoes, glasses to stop grit getting into my contacts, plus the shorts are just comfier, and then I might as well take my camelbak or commuter bag too. Tada!

grum
    Free Member

I pedal the short distance daily between Lancaster and Morecambe – about 4 and a bit miles and mostly flat. I do it in my work clothes as I don’t see the point of getting changed or showered for such a short distance. I can break a sweat if I press on the pedals but if I knock it down a notch or two I only get mildly moist

I used to do that exact commute quite a bit, still do sometimes – it’s very flat so unless it’s really hot or you’re really going for it I don’t see the point in getting changed either. What bike do you ride? I’ll look out for you (and steal your bike). I’m on a sand coloured Kaffenback with a rack btw.

How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?
    Proper answer:

ZERO miles. You don’t have to justify nuffin to nobody.

This is the correct answer though basically.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I do about 5 miles each way at present but about 3 of those are off road and can be muddy so I wear baggy shorts and regular t-shirt (ie. TK Maxx specials) Through winter I wear whatever is warm, normally my buffalo mountain shirt and some walking trousers.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How far do you have to commute to justify wearing full on bike kit?’ is closed to new replies.