Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • How ****ed is the industry you work in?
  • binners

I’m interested to know if there seems to be any sector that seems to be doing ok at the moment? And I don’t mean that you’re working for an individual company that is bucking the trend. I mean a sector of industry that is genuinely doing well?

I’m a graphic designer, and its not so much that the industry is dying on its arse, its more that the rotting corpse is now stinking up the place something rotten. Its grim. And there’s no improvement in sight any time soon.

So…. are there any?

Klunk
    Free Member

on the up in the games industry just have my first vacancy email in 18 months. It had one position in it.

ivantate
    Free Member

I am just moving into engines. Constantly changing emissions regulations are keeping the industry busy.

Tax/incentives/worn out vehicles keeps them going out the door.

uplink
    Free Member

There’s even bookies going out of business at the moment but the business of supplying them with software solutions for various types of numbers betting is doing well as they try and chase the punters for cash

Onzadog
    Free Member

Public sector. Dead! I’m getting out. I don’t think people around me can see the writing on the wall. Must be because their heads are burried too deep in the sand.

I’m moving into electrical distribution networks. We’re always going to need electricity right?

hopefiendboy

Cancer. Unfortunately always a client base 🙁

higgo
    Free Member

Mrs Higgo is in ‘nuclear environmental’.
    Sadly she’ll be in a job for the next 10,000 years or so.

I’m out of a job as soon as we find a cure for heart disease and cancer.

the-muffin-man

As ****-up as the print and graphics industry is at the minute I do think a lot of companies only have themselves to blame – there’s massive overcapacity and work is being done at silly rates just to fill presses, often with artwork chucked in free. IMO we need a good clear-out!

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Offshore construction- As we mostly work for Oil & gas, keep on driving those audis to keep me in a job 🙂

stumpy01

Industrial digital inkjet seems to be doing OK.

Company I work for is pretty busy & the company I used to work for can’t build printheads fast enough…..

djglover
    Free Member

Utilities = captive customer base pretty much.

mcboo
    Free Member

Banking – going back to slide rule and abacus. That isnt such a bad thing, we’ve had 20yrs of too many bright kids slogging it out in the City moving money from one place to the next. Next generation is going to have to stay in the real economy, maybe even help make stuff, thats going to be good for everybody.

TheFlyingOx

[simpsons]This is a Golden Age for repo men. One that shall never end.[/simpsons]

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Most of my work is related to offshore power: oil/gas/renewables.
    There’s LOADS of work 🙂

Anyone want a job? We need people…

Stumpy, Industrial Inkjet? I presume you’re Cambridgeshire then? I used to be at VideoJet/Marconi Data many years ago…

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Teaching is ****. There are now far too many teachers, and schools have restricted budgets so many new entrants are not getting proper contracts. Also, supply teaching virtually no longer exists, since most supply is now tackled by in house cover supervisors (usually non-degreed) or even supply cover supervisors (i.e. a person off the street with a clear eCRB who registers with an agency). DT is being cut, art depart,ments are being cut.. anything that uses resources is being cut…

So thanks Goldman Sachs et al. Thanks a lot for your high speed trading gambling con and other associated trickery.

geoffj

Tanning salons seem to be doing ok at the mo.

thepurist

Unemployment – it’s booming. 🙁

uwe-r
    Free Member

In the world of commercial finance things are very difficult. Massive amounts of work being undertaken by small understaffed teams, no one is making money so no change in sight. It will take years to sort out the mess.

turboferret

Steel – might not be doing to well in a lot of the western countries, here in India there’s massive growth – will certainly keep us busy for a while!

Cheers, Rich

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Recruitment – surprisingly OK at the moment, certainly better than the last two years.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Games industry – generally a bit volatile anywhere, but it’s been particularly battered in the UK. A lot of people are, quite literally, blaming Canada. The Canadian government gives Vancouver (and to a lesser extent Montreal) studios a massive tax breaks, which means that they can offer more to publishers for less. A lot of the publishers have moved their headquarters there, and even closed a few of their US studios and reopened them in Vancouver.

There’s also the issue of big US publishers buying up UK studios, then shutting them down a couple of years later, even if they’ve produced successful games. Yes Activision and Disney, I’m looking at you.

LeeW

Defence R&D, very busy and have been for ages.

huws
    Free Member

Architecture seems to be picking up (in London at least) much more staff movement at the moment which is normally a good sign.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Defence R&D, very busy and have been for ages.

That’s because one of the main exports of the UK and its child, the US, is war.

cardiff
    Free Member

Most of my work is related to offshore power: oil/gas/renewables.
    There’s LOADS of work

Anyone want a job? We need people…

What sort of qualifications are people after in your area? Tehcnical or more project managment based? I was thinking about a sector change, have been working as a project/ program manager with a large engineering firm for around 6 years now.

samuri
    Free Member

Utilities here too. What are people going to do, stop going for a poo?

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I work with the unemployed, do I need to say more ?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’m a psychiatric nurse, and sadly, am seeing increasing pressure on beds, the community mental health teams and more and more referrals day in day out. Oddly enough, I got a text message last night from the dealers that I bought my Harley from, saying the Doncaster, Leeds and Manchester branches are all in recievership and closing down. Arse!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Space system software. Cutbacks in spending and more companies on the continent getting geared up with national support is eroding our business. We’re fighting.

I’m very interested in the energy sector actually.

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

NDT’s sort of on the up. We’ve (and the rival company) got so much work in lately that you have to climb over it to get out of the door, but film costs are up 30% or so (the boss repeatedly tells anyone who’ll listen), pretty much destroying the profits.

Our work-load’s being increased to try and counter it, the knackered old machinery’s repeatedly cobbled together because New costs too much, and safe working practise is largely ignored to save money/time. It’s a house of cards I tells ye.

The directors have all got big new cars lately though, so it’s probably not all bad.

Kato

Lots of people in my business say “the job is f**ked”

I’ve no doubt people 30 years ago were saying it and 30 years in the future people will still be saying it

Crag
    Free Member

Print industry is on its arse and I can only see it getting worse as margins get tighter and capacity outstrips an already reducing demand.

Thankfully just got out.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rail Industry – FUBAR’ed, I feel like I’m re-arrangging deckchairs on the Titanic but will shortly be displaced from this job to reapply for the same but slightly different position even though we steam closer to the ice!

Moral in our bit is so bad if it was an airliner it would have a four engine shutdown and have just popped out of the clouds to find its in the middle of a mountain range!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

bikes.things are pretty tough and have been for over a year…crc and theyre pals dont help,cyclescheme eats 17% of your margin,theyres complete oversupply of brands each wanting a slice of a diminishing market…i cant see where the growth is coming from.in 8 years of having a shop this has been our worst for mtb sales…

maybe working for someone would be less stressful!

monkeychild
    Free Member

MOD ’nuff said 😀

project
    Free Member

I worked in the steel industry, now closed down and they sold the entire plant to china and rebuilt there.

Worked on a market, and soon to move and be seriously downsized.

Worked in a large psychie hospital, they let all the patients out, to roam the streets, with part time care, and loads of drugs to keep them calm.

Now in my current job, nobody seems to have any money to employ my services, and more job loses amongst my customers every day.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pharmaceuticals.

Increased unemployment/stress/social deprivatiopn = increased custom. 🙂

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Lots of people in my business say “the job is f**ked”

I’ve no doubt people 30 years ago were saying it and 30 years in the future people will still be saying it

How naive!

Drac

Drunks will always need a taxi so I should be fine.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Hi-fi industry as a whole has been a tough place for the last few years. Plenty of companies have shrunk or been treading water. Our company has made some great decisions (and therefore products) though and we’ve been expanding pretty rapidly through those years 🙂 We’ve just done a new deal which should see that growth continue so I’m pretty happy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘How ****ed is the industry you work in?’ is closed to new replies.