Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How do you post something really really huge?
  • finbar
    Free Member

I’ve got a massive oak table and chairs i’m thinking of eBaying. It takes four people to lift it and it’s blinking huge.

Does anyone know of any courier companies that do things like this and roughly how much it might cost?

woody2000

Cost – more than you’ll make on the table probably! Offer it as collection only IMO

wwaswas

talk to removal companies – the bigger ones will often have vans running about all over the place that they’ll seel you space on.

as above though, unless the table’s somethign special it’s going to cost more than you’ll get.

finbar
    Free Member

Hmm, i thought that might be the case. Might sell it through the local auction house instead, if i can get it down there!

uplink
    Free Member

Tip:

choose collection only on ebay

otherwise it’ll be a nightmare

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Collection only via fleabay, but be aware, you’ll still get some knob who bids & wins, then contacts you asking “how do we arrange delivery?”

marsdenman
    Free Member

send it First Class Whale?

ah yes, I see, the door is over there ->

seriously though, as above, make it collection only.

Look at it from the other side – were you a buyer for your lot would you seriously expect it to be sent to you?

the-muffin-man

Yep – collection only – don’t even think of couriering it.

I sold a table and chairs on eBay once and the bloke drove from Brighton to Derbyshire to collect it!! It was nowt special either.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haven’t you heard of the Big Society? This is the answer to your problems.

julianwilson
    Free Member

collection also means cash and so no paypal fees. And the buyer can moan about the condition of it whilst its in your house not after the delivery men or buyer’s toddlers have ruined it!

woody2000

Thinking about it – where are you? We need a new table & chairs – can you send me some pics please?

hels
    Free Member

I sold a piano on Ebay once – collection only, cash only. 3 HUGE blokes drove up from Newcastle and carried it down two flights. They swore a lot, but they got there. I stood there uselessly (but decoratively)cracking jokes “you hum it son, I’ll play it” etc.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks all. I don’t really fancy eBaying it collection only for this reason:

be aware, you’ll still get some knob who bids & wins, then contacts you asking “how do we arrange delivery?”

Thinking about it – where are you? We need a new table & chairs – can you send me some pics please?

I’m near Matlock in Derbyshire woody2000. I’ll sort you out some pics at the weekend if you like. I’m not posting it though! 😉

the-muffin-man

Matlock you say!

We’re looking for a new table and chairs! Give us some details – oak, pine, size, no of chairs etc!!

(the-muffin-man – near Belper!)

finbar
    Free Member

Will do at the weekend the-muffin-man!

Sorry, this wasn’t supposed to be a thinly-veiled classified ad 😆 . But since i’m here, the table is oak and looks a lot like this:

Six matching dark oak chairs with wicker seat pads.

It’s so heavy you can literally stand right on one end and it won’t even wobble.

woody2000

That’s not a million miles from me. How big is it? Email me if you want to not hog the forum!

the-muffin-man

Cheers Finbar – that type of thing is going to be too big for our humble abode! We need a smallish one that extends.

Do you live at Haddon Hall!? 😉

takisawa2

If I could table a suggestion… 😕

Just Ebay it. Someone will travel for that, for sure.
    We sold an Ikea Sofa for £65. Chap drove up to Staffs from Essex. Apparently he had one already & wanted another to match, but Ikea had stopped selling them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How do you post something really really huge?’ is closed to new replies.