Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Gisburn Red Route
  • Harry_the_Spider

Any good? Anyone got a Sat Nav location for the car park (I'm being lazy now)?

Got a couple of hours free on Saturday morning and can’t decide whether to do that or the hills round Austwick just up the road.

tony_m
    Free Member

I believe BD23 4SQ is the code for the Dog and Partridge at Tosside – you can park there (pub/cafe, great food and drink) then head into the forest along Bailey Lane.

Alternatively if you head back towards Clitheroe from the D and P you'll come to a crossroads, with Gisburn Forest signposted to the right. Head up thataway, and you'll soon reach Cocklet Hill car park on the right (though if you're going to be arriving any time after about 9:30am at the latest, chances are it'll be full!).

Maps and more details can be found on the Gisburn Bike Trails site.

As for whether the Red Route's any good, you'll have to ask somebody else – I'm a bit biased, being one of the diggers… 😉

U31
    Free Member

Curates egg.

Harry_the_Spider

After a brief summit meeting we have decided to go to Austwick and ride as nature intended. We've over done the "up the berm" action of late. 😯

Thanks for the input.

stumpyjon

Curates egg.

Care to elaborate?

iain1775
    Free Member

went last wed evening whilst passing down the M6
    thought it was great, good variety lots of fun will definately be back

tony_m
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member

Curates egg.

Care to elaborate?

Down, Jon… 😉

Aristotle
    Free Member

I went to Gisburn for the first time today and I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it.

I liked the tight singletrack and the rough surface on much of it.

There were a lot of berms, but a lot of the other parts reminded me of CYB(not been there for years though).

As expected, the Black bits weren't particularly severe, although I under-estimated the angle of that steep slope below the crag/trig point and entered without slowing, faster than I probably should have done. I hung on though.

U31
    Free Member

Good in parts.

Do they teach nowt in schools these days? 😛

To my mind, theres waaaay too much technical pedal intensive rocky climbing for not much flowing downhill in return, the exceptions are the two lower blues near cockletts, they are quite fun.

Home baked is a fun technical section.

Anything above home baked just aint worth the climb for my money.
    Two riding buddies are of simalar opinion, one of them a far better rider then me, but he hates home baked as he reckons that doesnt flow.

That said two other riding buddies are ex fell runners and use the long rocky technical stuff at the top as a personal challenge, so it horses for courses…

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I'd say its good, I enjoy it but it's pretty tame – depends what you are after really but none of it's that challenging.(inless you want to hit the big double jumps hidden away in the woods on a long decent!).

Do it on a hard tail if you have the choice. There's some nice swoopy sections in the woods.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Aristotle
    If you want some proper black grade techinal riding, Stainburn is maybe another 45mins along the A59. It's very short by trail centre standards, but most obsticals actually warrant their black grading.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I'm no whippet, but I quite liked the rocky climbing.

'Flow' is a little over-rated. Riding the un-flowing downhill bits quickly and smoothly is challenging.

I liked the quarry part, maybe more could be made of this?

Maybe the trail could go up to the Trig Point at Whelpstone Crag or is it outside of Forestry land?

As I said, I thought it was very good.

Do it on a hard tail if you have the choice

I did it on a hardtail because I didn't have the choice…. Ok, I choose to ride hardtails.

U31
    Free Member

Mainly done it on the Merlin and on one ht's, need to try it on the orange but i KNOW the rocky ups will defeat me

stumpyjon

Good in parts.

Ah, I googled 'Curates Egg' and it said it originally meant 'something that is partly good and partly bad, but as a result is entirely spoiled.' it also said 'Modern usage has tended to change this to mean something having a mix of good and bad qualities.' so I wasn't sure which you were getting at. I actually rode it last night and agree with much of your sentiments.

too much technical pedal intensive rocky climbing

Yep, especially up to the crag, the surfacing has come off resulting in masses of random stones sticking up, got to consider it a technical challenge or it will drive you mad. I noticed another load of limestone had been dumped at the top and I know the foresters want to do some repair work up there (they've been diverted onto fencing the fire water ponds in case somebody falls in despite the fact no one has fallen in for the last 30 years, they're not happy either).

Home baked is a fun technical section.

I thank you. A couple of us have taken next week off work and one of the things we intend to do is go and fettle any bits that need tweaking, although after riding the stuff the pros built I was quite proud of the way our hand built stuff is lasting.

The site isn't that great for long descents although Hully Gully is doing alright at the moment after we dumped another 100 tonnes of limestone on it in March.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

"too much technical pedal intensive rocky climbing" – not really, not compared to decent trails in the Lakes.

neil853
    Free Member

I think its a quality venue that i'm lucky enough to be only 20-30 miles form. I'm ashamed of myself that i haven't been up to help 🙄

stumpyjon

Finger out time then Neil, email in the profile 😉

nosedive
    Free Member

I'm planning a trip there on the weekend. I see videos of people on some sort of big jump action, is it worth me taking my downhill lid ? Can anyone tell me if the jumps are hard to find \ far from the car park

2hottie
    Free Member

A few of the sections on my video below,

enjoyed making it and the trails, Jon what days are you digging next week?

Looking to pop up and help

alex222
    Free Member

I really liked it. I thought it all flowed nice. You can hit everything way fast and the dragons teeth bit is fun. Also there was only one climbing section which was too hard and there is a way around it. Its kind of a trails hop up into a climb but as said there is a path around to the right. The section with the roller coaster bit and the the switch backs is pretty much the most fun bit there. You can really roost the switch backs if you lean forward and stay of the brakes. Stainburn is better though.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Stainburn is not a patch on Gisburn! From my perspective at least.

Bunnyhop

A really enjoyable video.

stumpyjon

Scott, going to be up there Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Going to be a mixture of maintenance and new trail 8)

Cougar

Watch out for slippy northshore, it's injury-tastic.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Just watched your video. Your dog has really upstaged you and is the star!

C

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn Red Route’ is closed to new replies.