• This topic has 44 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aa.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • How do you get over a really awful day at work?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Do you have a few beers to numb the pain and tell yourself that tomorrow’s another day, or do you tell yourself to MTFU and stop being so full of self doubt?

tomhoward

Look at ‘niche’ websites. And I don’t mean this one…

shifter
    Free Member

Me? Both.

MSP

Cocaine and hookers.

castanea
    Free Member

smoke and a pancake

scotroutes

Remember that it’s only work and forget about it when you leave the building.

kayak23

Kick a kitten or a childs face.

tazzymtb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dTHlTu_DC8[/video]

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I murder them all to death…..

Frequently

samuri
    Free Member

Ride at absolute balls out pace all the way home.
    Ride like an idiot through the traffic.

Then beer.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well, I just received a very negative email bombshell outcome of something I have been working on for several years at around 5pm just now.

It’s like going to highest court of appeal only to be told that the decision goes against you.

To say that it is a massive disappointment is an understatement. I got numb just by simply reading the email because it has practically ended my career … kaput! It is that serious.

I now need to find new ways earning a living. No, I was not fired from my job as I am already working PT as low level bureaucrat.

Nahhh … my experience only confirm my view that zombies and maggots are ruling the world.

I have NO sympathy for maggots or zombies.

They should meet my mates Benelli M4 Super 90.

😡

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

A bit of both of the above but also a smash fest at the gym/bike etc. I only go to work to pay the bills you still have your health, family and social life (I hope!) 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Imagine your boss sat naked on the toilet… with multiple gunshot wounds.

cranberry
    Free Member

I found a ( so far ) permanent solution by complaining to a colleague who’s partner worked as a neonatal nurse.

Being told about how she had struggled all night with a new born baby, only for it to pass away put my job related moans in perspective.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I am my boss so unfortunately I know what I look like naked. Beer sounds good as do pancakes,but kicking a kitten or shagging a hooker probably wouldn’t help. Seems that I should be worrying more about you lot and your gun/murder spree fixations. Chewke-I hope all is not lost and you can see a way through it?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Buy tickets to the Big Bike Bash and look forward to the weekend!!

dazz
    Free Member

I just go home, work is for the bills, the rest of my time is for living 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

choppersquad – Member
    Chewke-I hope all is not lost and you can see a way through it?

I just have to pick myself up again as that’s the only viable choice … start again …

woody21
    Free Member

Gin

MrOvershoot

Tazzy wins so far 😉

I’ve had some pretty grim stressful days at work over the past 2 months, not talking deadlines etc its more like one mistake and I’m dead.
    That and having very terse conversations in the middle of the night with our ops directors about said job meant I came close to telling him to F off.
    Along with caring for my wife I don’t mind admitting coming close to looking for a way out.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve just discovered tinkering with the bike and eating Cadburys Caramel Nibbles helps a bit.

fivespot
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to come home to a beautiful wife (of 29 years) who will quite often have a chilled beer and a great home cooked meal ready. I have many hot/noisey/crap 12 hr shifts to deal with, but what I come home to makes it all seem worth it. I hope this doesn’t make me seem smug, just appreciative of what I have 🙂

souldrummer
    Free Member

I try and get out on the bike or go for a run. If not I’ll try and phone friends to stop me running the previous day round my head, as I sit and watch rubbish telly. If I can’t do any of that I will potter in the garden or do some housework – sad but true!!

MoreCashThanDash

It’s all about perspective and depends on your job – I’m now a fairly low level civil servant, a bad day means I get pissed off about a couple of minor things.

In a previous career, I dealt with injury claims, used to have to read and assess some pretty awful accident and medical reports with accompanying photographic evidence. (This was back in the day before whiplash was invented)

My attitude changed when I met MrsMoreCash – she works in child protection. When she says “It’s been a bad day” it really will have been a really bad day. Which puts my minor issues into perspective.

A point of view that is not always shared by some jumped up, over-promoted middle managers, but hey….. 🙄

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t go back. Problem solved 🙂

fibre
    Free Member

Go for a ride, or better still ride to a pub!

marcus7
    Free Member

I shouldn’t say this but in the past two years I’ve only had one bad day at work (more like about two hours), sorry but I love my job… 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Some grim sounding tales here folks…all the best with things!!

My go to happy place is sitting having a nice evening meal and a glass of wine with my lovely wife, flicking through pictures of holidays and our wedding…happy times funded through our hard work!

chewkw
    Free Member

marcus7 – Member

I shouldn’t say this but in the past two years I’ve only had one bad day at work (more like about two hours), sorry but I love my job…

If you love your job I do not see any problem with that so long as you earn it properly. i.e. not at others’ expense.

Tom B – Member

Some grim sounding tales here folks…all the best with things!!

My go to happy place is sitting having a nice evening meal and a glass of wine with my lovely wife, flicking through pictures of holidays and our wedding…happy times funded through our hard work!

You should be happy if you earn it through hard work at your own expense. That’s how it should work.

In my case there are others that got involved who feel that they are the best …

oldgit
    Free Member

Go racing.

project
    Free Member

Do you have a few beers to numb the pain and tell yourself that tomorrow’s another day, or do you tell yourself to MTFU and stop being so full of self doubt?

Just hop that tommorow you have a job, 500 just lost their jobs today making curtains, and quite a few last weEk lost their jobs and company cars,many miles from home when THOMSONS DIRECTORIES MADE THEM REDUNDANT.

olddog

Run or ride it off. Push til the pain and endorphins washes my mind clean.

Drinking never works for me, some temporary relief, but waking up at 3am with a handover and drink induced anxiety doesn’t exactly set me up for the next day.

footflaps

I’m quite glad guns are illegal here, I could so easily see myself doing a Falling Down…..

martymac

AC/DC.
    on headphones, at full volume.
    i never fully trust anyone who doesnt like them.
    EDIT: some days iron maiden will do the trick.

yetidave
    Free Member

ffs, shit day at work yesterday, now in crap hotel 160miles from home, no bike, migrane (so cant get drunk) from crap nights sleep due to argument with boss and director over straigh forward (to me)issue. Where can I get a gun? – arrggghhh!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Go easy Yetidave. Wash down a couple of migralieve with something from the minibar. My mum swears by Bournville chocolate for migranes so go and raid the vending machine.

yetidave
    Free Member

just written a fantastic e-mail to both of them, may wait until tommorow to send as its a little bit inflamatory and not good for future work commitments, cocodamol done the trick, off to the bar… 8)

brooess
    Free Member

Exercise…

benji
    Free Member

Used to be an embedded software engineer, interesting at times but it took over your life, now spin spanners fixing cars/vans for a living. Can’t take work home, get the odd duff day but it usually finishes at home time, and it’s out on the bike after a short walk home. Find my singletrack calendar helps when running low on motivation, look at a decent trail and imagine ripping it along. All my races are written down on it as well, so go back to thinking about what I need to do to try and improve for that.

Nothing work wise is worth losing it all, make a change, but above all as they said in trainspotting chose life.

alwillis

Just got in from a tough late shift and some less than ideal customers, but some of the positive stuff on this thread has picked me up no end. Apart from all the meals with GFs, as mine is on the other side of the world for another 2 weeks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘How do you get over a really awful day at work?’ is closed to new replies.