• This topic has 52 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyv.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • How do you dry your gear?
  • cookeaa

Doesn’t everyone have a standard issue STW woodburner?.

3 pairs of Five10’s helps too….

I can think of cheaper fuel sources…

Hose off or leave out in the rain, I sometimes just climb straight in the shower wearing mucky bibs, so they get a bit of a pre-wash rinse,

I tend to try and wring stuff out then bung it all in the airing cupboard next to the hot water tank and it’s normally dry the next day, shoes sometimes being the exception there, but I have a couple of pairs so if the preferred ones are still damp, I ride in another pair…

bruneep

laundry facilities and drying room at work. 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

These work for drying shoes. http://tioram.co.uk/

mcnultycop

Loads of spare kit helps. If it’s a really muddy ride I just hose the shoes off so there is no mud left on them after I clean the bike. This means I can stick them in a radiator just to dry with no crap everywhere. If they don’t dry I’ll have a spare pair.

New house has a utility room which helps a lot.

Neb

Has anyone built a diy drying cupboard? I’m thinking an old wardrobe and a couple of tube heaters on a 24 hour timer. Couple of holes at the top and bottom to allow for air movement.

Our garage is pretty damp, no insulation and a large volume, so no point heating it.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I am with the majority here:

Hose off,
    Wring out
    In the machine
    Airer indoors
    5tens get a hose off and then clas ohlsen boot dryer for a couple of hours depending on how enthusiastic i was with the hose.

My garage is too cold to dry things but i do have an oil rad out there which I some times use if I don’t want to wash the kit before i use it again.

Haze

Drying room…basically the airing cupboard with some rails for hanging stuff and a dehumidifier.

ahwiles
    Free Member

spare bedroom, hang the damp stuff on an airing rack, set the dehumidifier to 60%, turn the radiator up, close the door.

most stuff is dry within a couple of hours.

(no the dehumidifier isn’t running all that time)

rone

Lots of combinations.

Garage has shower and washing machine facilities, so use that first. I do have a heated drying rack that is pretty good and gentle for the kit at about 100/200watts. Takes a while but doesn’t ruin the clothes or your house.

I sometimes bring them in the house, open both upstairs windows and dry them on a heated drying rack upstairs.

I was lucky enough to have a purpose converted garage just for bikes/maintenance and washing. Keeps all the crap out of the house and take minutes to deal with everything.

Clean by air is great for cleaning your shoes/helmet and very good on the bike but takes a bit of time when really muddy but does the best job I’ve seen.

I’m completely regimental with keeping things clean, it’s a bit of a chore but I’ve always got clean and dry clothes and bike stuff. Keeps me out in all weathers.

I also have lots of clothes options – I wince when I buy it but over time it’s great just to have choices of gloves and shoes. Besides one set can be drying whilst you use the others.

rone

These are great buys – used all the time when I had a coal CH.

Heated drying rack

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Proper off road gear just gets chucked in a bucket for a rinse if it’s really muddy then into the machine and dried on a radiator. Got 2 pairs of 510’s also 😆

I’ve just started commuting again and if I hang my wet clothes over my chair in the machine shop they are usually dry by the afternoon. I might start hanging them up in the main office though, I reckon the amount of hot air in there would dry them within an hour!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Crazy suggestion alert… Somewhere warm.

andyv
    Free Member

All softwear straight into the washing machine. Its a washing machine, that’s what its for.

Waterproofs, shoes and hardwear hung in front of or put on top of everlasting 1960’s Valient central heating/water boiler in kitchen then brushed off when dry.

The gasmen keep saying I need to buy a more efficient boiler but can’t answer how a new condenser/on-demand thingy will dry my kit 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘How do you dry your gear?’ is closed to new replies.