• This topic has 61 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Bike fixing errors you only make once
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Thought id swap out the rear gear cable on my spectral this morning as it was overdue. Whip out the old cable, and feed the new one in. I assumed internally routed cables would have internal guides to the frame plug. Won’t make that mistake again. Always wondered what the length of thin tubing was for that came with the bike. Now I know! half an hour of poking around with a kitchen skewer and all good.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Northwind: forks

More than once I’ve tried to set-up a mech using the worng shifter 😳

devash
    Free Member

Pumping hydraulic disk brake lever too much when pads weren’t in the callipers.

Especially when you are going riding in the Peaks the next day and you don’t have any replacement brake fluid and / or a bleed kit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Swapped out?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cutting a brand new carbon steerer too short..

Gary_M
    Free Member

I used to ‘swap out’ stuff now I just replace it like we used to do a few years ago 🙂

momo

Not quite opening the bleed nipple enough when bleeding brakes resulted in a piston hitting the floor rapidly followed by all the brake fluid.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Finding out the thread lock holding the suspension linkage bolts was stronger than the made from crumbly cheese bolts. The shop can have the trauma of sorting that out next time.

Denis99
    Free Member

Just putting a new front tyre on the fat bike this morning, tubeless.

Had a bit of trouble seating, so inserted the inner tube and the tyre seated after waiting an hour or so.

Re fitted the tyre without the tube, fine.

Didn’t put any Stans in it, looked at the wheel and tyre, and the tyre is on the wrong way around…….

Just started all over again, waiting for the tyre to seat with the tube in.

Tyre is the right way round now.

martinhutch

Trying to index gears with the exposed cable clamped in the stand. Got to the point I was removing the mech to find out why it was moving so slowly.

joshvegas
    Free Member

NORTHWIND NORTHWIND NORTHWIND

chvck
    Free Member

Cutting cable outer to length with the inner still inside it…

joshvegas
    Free Member

You know how shimano brake levers come with two different outer lengths for front and rear….

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Pressing in a replacement Praxis converter on my CAAD10 wondering why it wouldn’t go flush with the frame/BB shell. Anyway applied more effort to tighten the press. Still not fully in. Finally figured out I wasn’t pressing it in straight and I’d squashed the collet making it unusable. Now waiting for another one to be posted through the door to get the bike back on the road. doh!!!!

dufusdip
    Free Member

Not tightening the rear skewer after building a new frame up. Taking off up the hill after showing my mate the rear wheel popped out and bent the rear triangle.

That was 27 years ago, had taken six months of saving, and I’m still traumatised.

jonnyboi

Overtightening and wrecking a magura MT6.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Incase Northwind “misplaces” this….

jekkyl

over tightening a gxp bottom bracket.

beer247
    Free Member

Reinstalling the shock on Transition Patrol carbon and not realising the shock bolts are different lengths – wrongly used the longer bolt in the top mount and after one ride the bolt is slightly flared and won’t fit the lower mount….doh!

Windwave don’t have any replacement ones in stock….

zippykona

This was on a motorbike but still relevant.
    Following a stiff link on your chain and getting your finger trapped between sprocket and chain.

Xylene
    Free Member

Building bike up, breaking it down in box, shipping overseas, unpacking and wondering why I had put the tire on the wrong way roun after fitting wheel, swap tire around, then try to fit wheel to realise that forks are the wrong way round.

Unfit tire, undo stem, turn forks around the right way, cancel first outing on bike.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Some corkers there. That fork photo is incredible!

Oh, it was definitely swapped out, not replaced. But thanks 🙂

prawny

Tyre on the wrong way doesn’t count, thread is about mistakes you only make once, not ‘mistakes you make every flippin time’

Mine is running road cables too tight, I broke two shifters before I realised what the problem was, luckily halfords replaced under warranty as this was in 2009 and they’d not seen a road bike before.

amedias
    Free Member

popping out the circlip at the bottom of the air piston leg on a pair of forks while still partially pressurised because you forgot to fully bottom the fork out while letting the air out…

result = pushrod shaped dent in ceiling a fine coating of oil over EVERYTHING nearby and an overhweliming sense of relief that your face wasn’t in the firing line of the piston as it exited at eleventy three miles per hour 😯

And another fork related one…

Holding the fork by the brake arch as you let the air out of the main spring, forgetting it was a dual-air RS fork as the 100+ PSI in the negative spring now does it’s best to crush your knuckles betwixt brake arch and crown at great velocity 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

Years ago I was replacing the bottom bracket on my first mountain bike, put cranks back on the next day we put the bikes in the car and headed up to Aberfoyle for a ride in the forest.

Took bikes off car and set off, things didn’t feel right and it was only then I realised I’d put the non drive side crank in the wrong position on the splines, so pedals weren’t opposing 12 o’clock/6 o’clock but 12 o’clock/3 o’clock.

Oh how I laughed.

holst
    Free Member

Forgetting to tighten stem clamp bolts (I was interrupted by phone as my excuse).
    Fitting forks upside down.
    Fitting Manitou forks backwards.
    Fitting 8 speed cassette instead of 9 speed and then spending several days trying to get the gears to index properly.

thetallman
    Free Member

Cutting cable outer to length with the inner still inside it…

This. Paid loads of attention to getting my Rohloff cables the right way round and then ‘snip’..

Kryton57

My first Fox Fork self service. Putting it all back together and sitting with a cup of tea smugly looking at my work wondering why the HA looks wrong.

Yep, I’d replaced the lowers backward.

nosedive
    Free Member

Struggling to find the place on SRAM shifters that the cable goes in. Took the cover off and little cogs and springs fly everywhere. I should have stopped there but I figured I could get it back together again if I just had a working one as a reference….so very very carefully I took the cover off the other shifter….

nosedive
    Free Member

Inflating a tyre to 1 billion psi with a compressor to seat the bead. Forgot to let any air out and it exploded in my face about an hour later while I was doing something else on the bike. Still not convinced that my hearing is back to normal

nach
    Free Member

Reinstalling cranks, but at 90 degrees to each other.

Straight after putting on a brand new tyre, using a knife to remove the zip ties on a front mudguard, while a chatty mate is distracting me. FWOOOSH.

dufusdip – Member
    Not tightening the rear skewer after building a new frame up. Taking off up the hill after showing my mate the rear wheel popped out and bent the rear triangle.

Oof. Done this one too 🙁

Alex

There are so many 😉

– rebuilding a headset but swapping over the top and bottom races
    – Attempting to remove a sticky piston using an air line and coming far too close to burying said piston in my right eyeball
    – cross threading bottom brackets
    – Getting so cheesed off with a set of malfunctioning Juicy brakes that I carefully removed from the bike so I could hit them repeatedly with a hammer
    – Chopping inners with outers
    – Tyres the wrong way round after adding stans etc
    – breaking self extractors
    – Fitting a reverb the wrong way round.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg. It’s why I don’t tend to try and fix things myself nowadays.

That NW pic tho. Makes me feel a whole lot better 🙂

superjohn71
    Free Member

Trying to index gears with the exposed cable clamped in the stand. Got to the point I was removing the mech to find out why it was moving so slowly.

This – and managing to mangle the new gear inners in the process of trying to work out why the indexing wasn’t going well, thus rendering the whole exercise pointless!

dovebiker

I was working as a mechanic and saw my first pair of carbon Ahead MTB forks which someone had chopped-off flush with the upper-race – brought them into the shop and wondered if they were fixable….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Paging Stoner 😉

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I still can’t believe I did it but last month building up the winter hardtail with a brand new transmission I thought ‘the chain looks really slack’ so I got the chain tool out & split the chain to what seemed a appropriate length.
    The reason the chain was so slack was because I hadn’t threaded it through the top jockey wheel on the mech!! 😯 DOH!!

nemesis
    Free Member

Built a wheel without crossing the spokes (I was very, very drunk…). I needed it the next day so still rode it once and interestingly it didn’t seem any difference.

On a cx bike – Routing the new rear mech inner cable over the guide on my x9 mech instead of through it but convincing myself that the resultant poor shifting in two gears was because of the campag/sram mix. for about two months…

tom200

Using a BB tool in a vice to remove the BB on my sisters BSO, Turned the frame the wrong way and bent the seat tube!

chestrockwell

Cutting the brake hose for XT brakes at the caliper end thinking the banjo could be replaced like the Deore version.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Bike fixing errors you only make once’ is closed to new replies.