Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how do they know if its good for you…?
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

was having a chat in the surgery the other day about Herbal tablets…yet the ones i am currently taking are not in the book..so i was told "they havent been tested yet' ? you know the book… docs have a 'bible' 'book' of medicines which theyf lick through if they are unsure about a particular tablet.. nope it wasnt in their bible..so how can the tinternet say a 'remedy is good for you' if it aint been tested yet ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

iss 'erbal innit ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They don't.

Ewan
    Free Member

To paraphrase Jimmy Carr… herbal medicines that work are just called 'medicines'.

crispybacon
    Free Member

sounds like the ones you are taking are OK, afterall you're still here 😉

GrahamA
    Free Member

Have a look at Ben Goldacre's Blog.

I think that the answer is that Pharmaceutical companies are fixing the results of (some) testes and Alternative Practitioners are misleading and relay on spurious results.

Now where did I put my tin foil hat.

higgo
    Free Member

elaine anne said…[/i]…so how can the tinternet say a 'remedy is good for you' if it aint been tested yet ?

t'internet can (and does) say a million things, very little of which is true.

luked2
    Free Member

sounds like the ones you are taking are OK, afterall you're still here

Perhaps like these ones ?

Northwind

"To paraphrase Jimmy Carr… herbal medicines that work are just called 'medicines'."

Dara O'Briain.

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became "medicine". And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.”

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.”

or poisonous 🙁

CountZero

Everything's poisonous in large enough doses. Even water.

samuri
    Free Member

to answer the original question .so how can the tinternet say a 'remedy is good for you' if it aint been tested yet ?

As above, it's the internet. It's not policed or controlled in anyway, it's full of shite. Take everything in it with a huge pinch of salt, including what i'm writing now.

CountZero

‘What doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger’

tonyg2003

they – the herbal medical supplier/industry – don't know (generally) that the herbal treatments are good for you, they just "think" that they are. There are of course some great herbal treatments – willow bark aka aspirin – but the majority are unknowns. To prove that herbal treatments are good for you the accepted manner is double blinded (you don't know whether you are giving patients treatment or no treatment and respectively the patients don't know either) randomized clincial trials. This is evidence based medicine.

alpin
    Free Member

i only have a limited experience of herbal medicines. well, when i say medicines…….

certainly seemed to help at the time, though. forget what the problem was though. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how do they know if its good for you…?’ is closed to new replies.