Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • How do I remove these bearings ?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Because you don’t appear to have the skills to use that, your a RAF tech, guys like you are the reason GE for one stopped taking you guys on, lego mechanics that don’t get taught a proper apprenticeship. There is not one tradesman, or apprentice for that matter, in here that would dream of asking a question like that.

My first suggestion was not sarky or unhelpful, a shop would have done your bearings by now.

Good afternoon, good evening and good night……

wwaswas

Man asks simple question, other man takes exception – ends up dissing the Royal Air Force and all who work for it.

Usual proportionate stw response…

renton
    Free Member

Mental ?

I asked a bike related question on a bike forum about a job I’ve never done before hoping that someone would have an idea how it’s done on my particular frame so I could have a go myself and then you end up slating me and my work experience.

Good one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The correct tool for bearing removal on stw is a rock….. Or is that for fitting cranks. I forget it’s so long since octopusgate

bigjim

Perfectly legit question, harsh responses!

We just want you to buy another bike renton

renton
    Free Member

I’m not buying another bike, quite happy with this one (At the moment !!)

Going by nobeers history he’s asked a lot of biking maintenance questions too so I’m not sure why he’s getting his knickers in a twist.

Sundayjumper

Specialized do (or did) a very nice kit for removing bearings.

km79
    Free Member

He’s just being mean ‘cos he fancies you.

tandemonium
    Free Member

I use a set like Tracey linked to. Paid about £30 off ebay, works a treat. Comes with multiple colts for different sized bearings, works for frame bearings upto press fit BB bearings.

renton
    Free Member

I’m going to try the expanding bolt from b and q first.

lornholio
    Free Member

I used an eBay slide hammer bearing puller a few times on my Bronson’s linkage bearings and it worked fine. The expanding part broke while using it for another job and since then I just carefully tap them out using a bolt against the bearing lip from the opposite side. Also works fine.

Tracey

I’ve ordered the eBay one, for £29.99. If and when I use it will report back. I would love the Specialized one but its far too much money to be sat in the garage. Would rather spend the difference on a nice dress or maybe some new shoes.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I’ve done it on a 2008 enduro using the metal B&Q expanding bolt and knocking it through over a suitable sized socket. It worked but was not as straight forward as I had anticipated. Similar setup to those bearings with nothing to get any purchase on to push from behind. Difficulty is getting the expanding bolt tightened to expand at the right point on the bearing.

Make sure you have some suitable threaded bar and fasteners to press in the replacement. (You could use a hammer but this may cause some binding in the bearing).

windydave13
    Free Member

I made one of these. Bit of threaded bar and created a lip with an angle grinder and then put a split in it. Insert into frame. Jam screwdriver so the lips fit behind bearing. Then pull out using sockets and nut/washers. Worked a treat on my horst link ones

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M3jkBs]New homemade #Horst bearing removal tool worked a treat[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How do I remove these bearings ?’ is closed to new replies.