Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How do I remove these bearings ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’ve stripped my frame down to do a bearing swap but I’ve got no idea how to remove this set of bearings from it …..

It looks like there is a sleeve between each bearing which means I can’t get a drift of the back to get it out ?

Any ideas ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the sleeve fixed or can it be levered to one side so you can get on the lip of the bearing?
    If not, a bearing removal tool and slide hammer would be the right way.

Depending on size, it might be possible to use an expanding fasterner to lock behind the bearing to drift it out.

otsdr
    Free Member

Sleeve seems to be held in place by O-rings, probably a drift will work. A blind bearing extractor would be ideal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right tool for the job… whats the frame, tried googling bearing swap for _____

Tracey

Had the same problem with the Enduro out in the Alps, had to pay a Specialized dealer to change it.

Was thinking of putting this into the tool kit for future but not sure if its the right one for Specialized bikes and don’t want to buy it if it wont work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicyle-Cycling-Blind-Hole-Inner-Bearing-Puller-Tool-Set-Slide-Hammer-Kit-8-32mm/262558365711?rt=nc&_soffid=5015233409&_soffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Given your previous maintenance issues – take it to a bike shop.

renton
    Free Member

What are these previous maintenance issues you speak of ?

I’m quite happy to do the job but would rather be able to do it without damaging the frame.

Frame is a 2014 stumpy evo 29.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The issue of not being able to do anything without having a whole forum tell you how?.

You can tell by some people’s questions that they are gibbon fisted….

renton
    Free Member

Mmm ok. My only question about a maintenance task on a bike was over 4 months ago and that was how to get a set of cranks I’ve never had before off a bike.

Isn’t the whole idea of the bike part of the forum to ask questions about bikes and bike maintenance or are you just being a knob ?

Fwiw I strip and rebuild various ejection seats and parts of the Typhoon aircraft for a living so know my way around a toolkit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fwiw I strip and rebuild various ejection seats and parts of the Typhoon aircraft for a living so know my way around a toolkit.

FWIW I had 16 years in aircraft engines, and you’d be amazed how many useless fitters there are!

pinetree
    Free Member

So this should be a dawdle for you, yet here we are…
    FWIW any other mechanical experience is pretty much irrelevant. I’m a fairly good bike mechanic, but wouldn’t know where to begin with a Typhoon aircraft.

I’m with Nobeer on this one: If you can’t figure out a simple matter like this just by looking at it, you probably should take it to a bike shop.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole idea of the bike part of the forum to ask questions about bikes and bike maintenance

IMO, yep of course it is, nowt wrong with your question it’s more useful than 90% of the posts on here.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve done the other bearings but didn’t want to wreck the frame by trying to whack these out.

Fwiw I would say I’m a fairly competent bike mechanic. I’ve stripped and rebuilt quite a few over the years however I’ve never had to replace a set of bearings fitted like this. Hence the op.

Tracey

Would the Ebay kit work or would it be just a waste of money

renton
    Free Member

As it’s only one set of bearings in one size that need removing I guess that eBay kit would be overkill.

It would be a decent kit to have in a workshop with various bikes to do though.

wwaswas

fwiw – I’d buy the kit just because I’d enjoy owning it.

And it wasn’t an unreasonable question in the OP.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas

RustyMac

Tracey,

That Ebay kit seem to cover quite a range of bearing diameters so i would think that it would work for your assortment of Specialized bikes.

The only way to really confirm would be if you know the bearing inner diameters of all the bearings on the frames.

If Specialized publish the bearing numbers of the various bearings you could cross reference their size on a site like simplybearings to get 100% confirmation it is going to capture them all.

For example the bearing in Renton’s top pic is a 6001RS
    these are the bearing dimentions. As you can see that one has an ID of 8mm so you would need the puller with the smallest adapter in the box.

nuke

I had a similar issue with some Hemlock bearings and, if you’re happy to bodge an expansion bolt to work, then I did a bit of a guide on this thread…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sooooo-hemlock-owners-any-tips-to-shift-these-bearings
    …the principle is the same but its just finding a suitable sized expansion bolt

legend
    Free Member

Did you really strip every single component off the bike just to change the bearings?

singlespeedstu

Just think of it as a Hope front hub and do the same as you’d do with that.
    Push the sleeve down a little and tap the bearing out from the opposite side.
    If the sleeve won’t move use one of these in the same size as the inner race of the bearing and knock it out from the opposite side.
    Really not very difficult.
    http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-metal-anchor-bolt-pack-of-2/254715_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

Leku
    Free Member

And it wasn’t an unreasonable question in the OP.

+1

I do the bearings on my Yeti myself but that frame would have made me ask the same question here.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve stripped the whole bike down to do a full bearing strip and also a repaint as its looking a bit tatty.

Tracey

Thanks, at that price its worth a try, will get one ordered and find out what bearings are what. Ours was the drive side chain stay one behind the bottom bracket which was solid. €40 for the bearing and €24 to fit it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want to cover yourself get the specs for this kit
    http://girlbikelove.com/2012/02/tool-tuesday-specialized-fsr-bearing-pullerpress-tool-kit-specialized-fsr-bearing-pullerpress-tool-kit/
    It’s a very nice kit to use and has all the stuff for sepc bikes up until they change something else…

twisty

I’d just jam an expansion anchor in there and then drift it out from the other side. Considering that you are painting it anyway, then you could use a little heat on the frame if it is being stubborn.

The issue of not being able to do anything without having a whole forum tell you how?.

You can tell by some people’s questions that they are gibbon fisted….
    Rather harsh, removing blind bearings is not a particularly intuitive task. I see where you are coming from though, one thread to ask how many bearings to replace, another thread to ask how to remove the bearings, I’d have waited for a 3rd thread asking whether to grease the faces or not before pressing in before ranting though 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rather harsh, removing blind bearings is not a particularly intuitive task.

For someone who ‘knows they’re way around a tool kit’ It’s pretty simple.

renton
    Free Member

I only asked about how many bearings to replace as only a couple seemed to have any play in them so it was looking like it was more cost effective to only replace those.

However it seems a better idea to replace them all in one go to prevent having to strip bike down again in the future.

I’m sure once I’ve removed these bearing for the first time it will be a lot easier to do it again.

garage-dweller

fwiw – I’d buy the kit just because I’d enjoy owning it.
    And it wasn’t an unreasonable question in the op.

+1 on both counts!

There’s nothing wrong with asking some simple questions to do a job right or learn something.

We’re not born knowing this stuff. While there are plenty of “gibbon fisted” (like that 🙂 ) people out there new skills can nearly always be learned. I’m handy mechanically but there are tools and fittings that you only learn about when you do a job for the first time and need them. I don’t sit home at night studying the machine mart catalogue just in case.

My experience in life generally is its the ones who don’t ask questions and blunder on regardless you’ve got to watch.

wwaswas

I don’t sit home at night studying the machine mart catalogue just in case.

No, there’s the Axminster Tools one for that 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I hope there aren’t any Typhoon pilots reading this…. 😯 😆

twisty

Rather harsh, removing blind bearings is not a particularly intuitive task.

For someone who ‘knows they’re way around a tool kit’ It’s pretty simple.[/quote]
    Not necessarily if that tool kit does not include a blind bearing remover.

Finding the solution to a problem not encountered before requires intuition/problem solving skills which one does not necessarily need in order to be taught the way around a tool kit and follow set procedures.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

gheez, a lot discussion over a simple and honest question. That’s what forums are for….to get advice and guidance etc. Chill pill people 🙂 No such thing as a stupid question.

renton
    Free Member

Some people just like to have a poke at me on here.

I’ve always been told there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ve always been told there is no such thing as a stupid question.

and take it to a bike shop wasn’t a stupid answer

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

and take it to a bike shop wasn’t a stupid answer

This.

Edit – Ocht I canny be bothered…

renton
    Free Member

I don’t want to take it to a shop though.

I want to do it myself hence the question.

What’s wrong with that ?

And nobeer don’t be bothered then.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First hit on google is a youtube video on blind bearing removal.

renton
    Free Member

Right so instead of all the sarky unhelpful comments why didn’t you just say that in your first post ??

Not one of your posts has been to do with the op subject they have just been about piss taking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How do I remove these bearings ?’ is closed to new replies.