Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How do I know if I've installed new fork seals correctly?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I’ve fitted some Enduro fork seals to my Fox forks.

How do I know that the seals are squarely seated, or will they settle themselves as they bed in?

The foam rings sit on top of the bushes but then you push the black seals in and there’s nothing to get them square as they don’t sit on the top lip of the lower like old one piece seals. The blue wipers sit on top but there’s a bit of a gap down to the black seal.

Will they weep oil if they’re not fitted correctly?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Surely if there is a gap they will move up and down with the stantion.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The foam ring sits loose on top of the bush. The black seal (with spring moulded in the back) pushes very tightly down to the foam ring. The blue wiper then fits into the top of the lower and presses down on the top edge of the fork lower.

Looking down into the lower with it all fitted, it looks like there’s a gap between the black seal and blue wiper seal.

So I don’t think the black seal should move (much) as it is a very tight fit, but you just push it in – there doesn’t seem to be anything that ensures it is square unlike the old one piece seals that sat squarely on the top edge of the lower.

warpcow
    Free Member

I fitted some enduro seals to some RS forks and the order was oil seal (black), foam ring, wiper (blue), from the bottom up. Is the foam ring on the bottom a special fox thing?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

How does the oil get past the oil seal to lubricate the foam ring in that case?

Going to go and test ride now…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How do I know if I've installed new fork seals correctly?’ is closed to new replies.