Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How do i keep my dog out of the bin?
  • teenrat

My dog keeps going in the bin and spreads the contents over the kitchen floor. I need a dog proof bin. We must be on our 6th type of bin but he gets in every one. Unfortunately the bin has to go in the kitchen, where his bed is, and we dont have room for one of those in cupboard bins.

Any ideas as he has broken the bin and we need a new one.

user-removed
    Free Member

We got a bin made by a company called ‘simple human’ which has a sliding handle so you can lock the bin. One handed operation, keeps the mutt out of the rubbish, hydraulic slow-closing lid…

porter_jamie

not the one i have, he managed to fetch a chicken carcass out of it this morning and took it up to show the missus who was taking a shower at the time.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Training?

porter_jamie

i can leave food on the floor in the front room next to the dog (pizza or something) and go out of the house shopping or something for an hour and he will not touch it.

but, every now and then he decides to empty the food bin all over the floor. bizarre. and you can’t train him out of it if you don’t catch him at it.

teenrat

The dog knows it is wrong, you can tell as soon as you get in due to his skulking and non eye contact. Its like the temptation is just too great and he is willing to accept the telling off.

teenrat

Jamie, that is exactly the same. i don’t know what triggers it!

TheWrongTrousers

Get a bigger dog and keep it in the bin.

somafunk

A mate had a similar problem with bins and kitchen drawer handles/cupboard handles being opened and the contents emptied etc so he bought some naga chilli spray and sprayed it round the bin lid and kitchen unit handles, it worked after a few applications and now the dogs are very well behaved.

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Ah yes. Dogs in the bin. We had 2 black labs (both sadly passed away recently, although not a result of the bin!) who were fascinated by the kitchen bin. We put a baby-gate across the kitchen door area. One night, their dream came true and my daughter left the gate open. At last, what they had always waited for:

The result:

Markie
    Free Member

Get a bigger dog and keep it in the bin.

I snorted! 😀

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Oh yes, nearly forgot, these were the culprits

jambalaya
    Free Member

@davidjones has the answer, if you don’t know how to train the dog not to go in the bin get some help from someone who does.

The lazy answer is to take rubbish out to the external bin (I assume wheelie) a few times a day

FWIW perhaps we are lucky or our dog well trained, she doesn’t even dare touch a bin bag kept on the floor, she does go hunting any old sh1t outside on a walk mind.

stox
    Free Member

Is ‘tank’ your dog .. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@medieval – I remember that photo from another thread, it’s like butter wouldn’t melt in their mouths. I’m sure you miss them

medievalkneival
    Free Member

Jambalaya

Yes, miss them a lot. But we have another one now. I think it’s the labrador breed, just absolute gluttons. Perfectly well trained in terms of behaviour, don’t run off, don’t jump around, very social etc, but their main weakness is food.

PePPeR

I have the same problem with my spaniel surfing off the work surfaces, only time i actually caught was wheb he jumped up on the work top and was walking round on it. He doesn’t do that any more, but he will take anything off the side if we’re not watching!

teenrat

A familiar sight!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Very heavy weight in the bottom of the bin to stop him pulling it over.

Holmesey
    Free Member

heavy weight in the bottom of the bin

Heavy weight

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How do i keep my dog out of the bin?’ is closed to new replies.