Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • How cold is it up North?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I normally ride in shorts and t-shirt.

If it is cold I will stick some lycra leggings under the shorts.

If it is raining I have a nylon pac-a-mac stuffed into my Camelbac.

I am guessing Manchester night ride tomorrow might be a bit chilly. What do you northern lot wear for night rides?

R.lepecha

What do you northern lot wear for night rides?

standard stuff from the summer, if you remember where northerners.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It’ll be proper bastard, as the misery in Northerners sucks all warmth from everything, leaving a desolate, grey bleakness where sobbing uncontrollably is the norm, and moaning the only joy in people’s lives. 🙁

carbon337
    Free Member

Manchester isnt North – its the midlands.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It may or may not be cold, but it will be grim.

R.lepecha

thats true..

cullen-bay
    Free Member

north of inverness is “the north” the rest of you are just pretenders 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You will however see Northern women out in boob-tubes and micro-skirts wide belts, with footwear particularly unsuitable for those cobbled steets, behaving in a most alarming manner. They may say things like ‘ave yer gorra light on yer cock’ which doesn’t refer to phallic illumination (they go to Blackpool for that), but for a light for their ciggie, before their current one goes out.

If it’s much below freezing, they may sometimes wear knickers. This isn’t usual, however.

wombat

R.lepecha – Member

thats true..

+1

Manchester is the West Midlands 😉

The North starts at a line drawn from the mouth of the Humber to the mouth of the Mersey. Anything below this line is the Midlands untill you get to a line drawn from The Wash to the mouth of the Severn, under this is The South.

This is all schoolboy stuff really you know 😉

wombat

@ Elfinsafety, those “belts” are correctly referred to as “Greyhounds” 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will just keep a ferret down my shorts and be fine then.

Now do I wear my BBB t-shirt or my WCA one?

Greyhounds??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just an inch from the hair/hare

gwaelod
    Free Member

Night ride in Manchester tomorrow night!!

Good luck with that. If you are heading east you should be fine.

nickf
    Free Member

The North starts at a line drawn from the mouth of the Humber to the mouth of the Mersey. Anything below this line is the Midlands untill you get to a line drawn from The Wash to the mouth of the Severn, under this is The South.

Rubbish. Anything below the Tyne is South, get as far as Durham and you’ve entered The Deep South.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

North is north of the M4

You all start speaking funny up there

jonb
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden as far south as Manchester recently.

At the minute I’m doing night rides in two base layers and a waterproof.

Tonight in Newcastle it is probably 2-3°C

geoffj

-3 just north of Perth at the mo.
    Brrrrrrr

nbt

South of the M4 is near london, france :p

Not entirely sure your question is serious but anyway, we’ve just been out. Is hovering around the 2 dec C mark at the moment. For today’s commute I wore my roubaix bib longs over lycra, with endura shorts to make sure I didn;t get the lady car commuters too excited, and a roubaix jersey, with a string vest underneath and a goretex jacket. I was comfortable in that at 7am and a tad warm at 5pm, but would probably be right for a 7pm ride

Alternatively, I have in the garage 2 bottles of wainwright (mine, all mine I tell you), some Banks’s, and two larger bottles of Leffe (one blonde, one brun) that probalby need to be drunk as they’re past due date. With you being from france you might fancy some leffe? 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shorts, no top

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have been known to drink Leffe on occasion.

The question was semi serious. I was planning on a base later, a t-shirt and water proof if needed. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t die of cold before I got to the pub

gwaelod
    Free Member

Temperature in manchester area tomorrow night shouldn’t be too bad,and is frankly the least of your worries at somewhere betwen +8 and +10 celsius. There will be a screaming west to Southwesterly gale with winds gusting to probably around 60mph…and stronger than that along lancashire/merseyside/north wales coast, and over Peaks/Lakes/Clywdian hills.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

-3 just north of Perth at the mo.
    Brrrrrrr

Bloody hell Geoff; how mild was it last Thursday down here, eh?

Bit chilly here atm, but -3? In November?? 😯

WCA; please, please don’t wear that tatty WCA top. please. It’s got holes in and everything. 🙁

shorts, no top

😆 He’s not from Newcastle!!!

geoffj

Bloody hell Geoff; how mild was it last Thursday down here, eh?

I know. Beautiful day up here today though.

Lovely day for a ride

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Rubbish. Anything below the Tyne is South, get as far as Durham and you’ve entered The Deep South

Now now, nee need for that, I’m a Durham lad ya naa, an aa consider mesel a Northerner (me Uncle Billy worked down the pit at Bowburn)
    Oh aye, A nearly forgot, elfinsafety’s jealous of us Northerners cos he’s got neewhere proppa to ride his bike except on paths & that.

TrevorB

-3 above Reeth tonight, frozen puddles and a light dust of snow. 😉
    Spot on!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

STWers meet up for a pint in a Northern pub:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BV8KfpE3BA[/video]

Bunnyhop

It depends on how much fat one is carrying.

We’re a skinny bunch so need to layer up. Yep the wind is going to be the problem, so don’t ride behind nbt, bum bum (said in Baisl Brush type voice).

I shall be mostly driving to the pub, so no riding for me tomorrow.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I went for a quick spin tonight. I wore gloves, a base layer, lycra shorts. I’m in cumbria. It was ok except my feet were cold, I could have done with some warmer socks. I dont know the temperature exactly, according to the bbc it was 6 degrees but it felt closer to freezing

ahwiles
    Free Member

(checks thermometer)

it’s zeroC in Sheffield.

and not much more than that in my house, in sheffield.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ice on the puddles in the pentlands ( edinburgh) tonight

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(checks thermometer)

it’s zeroC in Sheffield.

and not much more than that in my house, in sheffield.

WCA take some matches and some Polo mints up with you for those wretched, shivering Northerners.

Those poor, poor people. 😥

It’s a disgrace, how this Tory government is once again making the lives of so many decent hardworking Northern folk miserable.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Manchester is the deep south. plenty of inbreds and banjoes

messiah
    Free Member

-4 and frost on last nights ride… add in a windchill and it was enough to have lights failing at the top of the hill.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Looking out the window just now, I would recommend a fleece lined dry suit, and some guy lines and pegs to tie the bike down to the hill should you stop.

The North is very much living up to it’s grim reputation today. Last weekend was lovely however.

messiah
    Free Member

Yep… Ark required today.

swiss01
    Free Member

geoffj, slightly south of you but out yesterday also. lovely. but slippy!

meehaja
    Free Member

don’t know if its cold up here in yorkshire, but i was walking round devon yesterday in a Tshirt while everyone else was wearing hats and gloves and complaining it was so cold? Being from the south, i wont call them pansies, but seriously, it was like 10degrees?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It’ll be the wind tonight that is the problem, quite strong gusts according to local weather reports, up to 50mph.

footstomper
    Free Member

(Elfinsafety) are you a Southern Softy by any chance? Had a bad experience with a Sexy Northern Girl 😀 did she say something like E Bi Eck Cock Iv Sin bigger Gurkins than that little thing 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will bring a bottle of my home made Sloe Vodka – just in case I get cold, wet or blown off my bike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘How cold is it up North?’ is closed to new replies.