Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • How can I get fuel out of a car without getting in my mouth?
  • edhornby

find a library and look in the haynes manuals? don’t cars have drain plugs on them in case of emergencies* ?

*oh balls I’ve put petrol in a diesel

pictonroad

Yep, anti syphon on a golf.

We got 60 litres of petrol out of a diesel golf by unplugged the rail at the injectors and priming the pump 7000 times, tiresome but possible.

Diesel is disgusting in your mouth, petrol I’m not too bothered by but it really dessicates the lips..

If you pull the hose at the tank as suggested on a mk4 it will close off, safety flaps in the event of a crash, not sure about a 3.

Drill the tank and bung it afterwards?

jekkyl

It’s a mk4 with 2 lit dashboard lights and the power steering pump is knackered. We used a small hand pump my mate had in the end, there was something weird going on coz it would work & then not. I think perhaps there were chambers. We got about half the tank out over 45 mins & then f’ked it off. Hooray!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ooooft

power steering – thats worth scrapping it for ….

600 quid + fitting for the rack and pump.

dont ask how i know 🙁

dashboard lights are not always as scary as they voodoo would seem !

cheekyboy
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member

It’s the wife’s car, a 1999 diesel golf.

Posted 19 hours ago #Report-Post

Tell her its her job

aracer
    Free Member

I got £420 on ebay for my rubbish condition, high mileage ’99 406 (that also had knackered power steering at the previous MOT which got bodged for ~£50). I’d be amazed if you couldn’t get £400+ on ebay for a diesel Golf – also no hassle, as you just ignore any messages from people wanting to end early, and just have to be in the once for the winning bidder to collect. As others have said, if things are tight enough that you’re bothered about £60 of diesel, then I’m amazed that you’re not interested in another couple of hundred pounds.

Not that I can work out why you tanked it when you knew you were getting rid – I only put £10 or £20 in the last few times I filled mine as I wasn’t quite sure when it was going and didn’t want to give away fuel (the warning light was on by the time I did sell!)

Just another quick one – does it have VED left, and if so do make sure you get that to chop in not the dealer (and if the dealer’s £200 includes having that then it’s an even worse deal – my £420 was without any VED).

konabunny
    Free Member

Safety flaps lol

jekkyl

It was filled it up thursday and then the power steering went on friday, so we weren’t aware it was gonna mess up when she filled it up. The new MOT rules meant that it couldn’t have any lights on when the MOT was due up in Nov and yes perhaps I could have got more on ebay or wherever but I really couldn’t be bothered, happy to take the £200 off against the new one. We got a diesel audi estate, a 2001 reg with 110k on it for £1400 so pleased with that. As it’s a bit older I won’t mind getting it a bit dirty chucking a bike or 2 in the back. We had the golf for 2 years and it cost 1k so pretty much got our moneys worth out of it. & the fuel was going in my mates van as a contribution to our wales MTB trip at end of April 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats why it was a 200 quid trade in.

sounds about right in that context.

I got 400 for mine in a trade in against a 1400 pound car – the fella replaced the engine and sold it to the guy that runs the local chinese – still see it bombing about town. Would have done the same my self but the engine was pish for motorway and we woulda killed it again in short order.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats why it was a 200 quid trade in.

sounds about right in that context.

I got 400 for mine in a trade in against a 1400 pound car – the fella replaced the engine and sold it to the guy that runs the local chinese – still see it bombing about town. Would have done the same my self but the engine was pish for motorway and we woulda killed it again in short order.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How can I get fuel out of a car without getting in my mouth?’ is closed to new replies.