Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • How can I get fuel out of a car without getting in my mouth?
  • jekkyl

Can any bright sparks on here suggest a way I can get a full tank of fuel out of a car I’m pxing into a can using some hose or any other items I can find around the house without getting any fuel in my mouth?
    Thanks.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Disconnect feed from fuel rail and direct into your can. Bridge fuel pump relay. Wait.

Or if youre in a hurry, place container under tank and hammer a screwdriver through. Not good on a car you’re PXing though 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

You got to know when to stop sucking….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

stop sucking before the fuel gets in your nmouth?

scaredypants

you probably can’t get a hose into the filler – last couple of cars I’ve had have had baffles in there to stop you

jekkyl

It’s the wife’s car, a 1999 diesel golf.

lazybike
    Free Member

Diesel, my favourite…..

user-removed
    Free Member

Just drive to the Isle of Skye and back. Voila! No diesel!

bruneep

Unless you live in Skye

user-removed
    Free Member

True – wouldn’t work for my parents who live in Struan. OP – are you my parents?

deserter
    Free Member

I’ve put my thumb over the end of the pipe, yanked it out and gone straight into the bucket low down, takes practice but isn’t as difficult as Jedi mind tricks, other than that get a ‘bulb’ bleed pump and suck it out with that and some hose

jekkyl

Yes. You don’t phone enough.

leffeboy

stop sucking before the fuel gets in your nmouth?

Keep the tube up high until you have sucked enough then bend tube in half before lowering it down into the can. If you do the traditional keep the tube down right next to the can while you suck you are stuffed – been there 🙁

hels
    Free Member

Do you have any children ? Do the neighbours ?

jekkyl

Yes & Yes.

ktmblag
    Free Member

A friend our mine’s wife tried sucking petrol out with a Hoover..I’m not recommending this…clear hose then you can see it coming

nealglover
    Free Member

Keep the end of the hose as high as possible until the fuel is almost the end, then thumb over the end.
    Lower the hose into the can and remove thumb.

(As above, clear hose helps.)

LMT
    Free Member

When i px’ed mine the other week, i just went round family friends, cups of tea, lunch then when i had used the fuel and seen everyone i wanted to for at least the next month dropped the car off no fuel. Pleased everyone, surely no one is that tight they have to suck the fuel out.

jekkyl

They’ve agreed just £200 off for the old heap against an over priced but still reasonable Audi. I filled it up on Thursday…. £68… so yes I am that tight.

totalshell

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not attempt to syphon off by mouth a mate of mine almost died doing this by swallowing and inhaling the fuel.. PLEASE PLEASE DONT DO IT!!!

andyl
    Free Member

£200? It’s probably worth £150 in scrap or double that if you just stick it on gumtree. I’d have just sold it cheap and haggled the price down more on the Audi.

jekkyl

Everyone’s an expert 🙄
    yeah selling it privately might have got more money but then I’ve got the hassle of taking pics, making the advert and then loads of numpties phoning me during work hours with the sole intent of getting the car as cheaply as possible. Coming round my house interupting my dinner, kicking tyres and saying ‘hmmm there’s a scratch there’ OR I can px it and suck up the loss with no hassle whatsoever. hmmm now which one will I do?

andyl
    Free Member

Everyone’s an expert

No need to be a dick. Was only trying to help.

It was a suggestion seeing as though you are trying to save £60 of fuel by syphoning it out…

Advert “Gold diesel, must go ASAP £400…” etc etc and go out for a nice dinner with the money you make extra or buy something for your bike. Less hassle than syphoning fuel.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Two pieces of pipe. Long and short. Rag(s) to stuff round tubes.

Long one all the way into the fuel, short to blow into. Rag packed around them in the filler tube.

Blow into short tube and fuel comes out of long tube into container. Use syphon effect once started…

jekkyl

yeah sorry, hence why I’m trying to claw as much back as I can.

andyl
    Free Member

I know where you are coming from. Try selling an old E30 325i BMW and getting all the voicemails in irish accents offering you 1/2 what you put it very reasonably for a quick sale up for! Quite a desirable car to slam to the ground and use for drifting around in. I loved that car so held out for an enthusiast.

A good way to avoid all the messing round is just post up on somewhere like here or an owners forum if you frequent one. Put where you are and be honest about the condition etc and say you just want it gone by X date and normally someone will looking for a car to tide them over or know someone who is. Anything over scrap/PX value pays for a treat for you and the OH and is more satisfying that feeling done over by a dealer.

Did exactly that for a friend of mine and a lad from my local cycling club bought it and a year later it’s still going and taking him on trips and he doesnt need to worry about throwing the bike in the boot as it’s bangernomics. Was heading to the scrap yard the next day if not sold.

deepreddave
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    ….. OR I can px it and suck up the loss……

Or some diesel. Clear pipe but I think I’d just have a day trip instead. After all you’ve read on here you’re openly admitting to buying an Audi – brave man, swallowing diesel shouldn’t be a worry 😉

BigJohn

Diesel floats on water, right? Pour 50 litres of water into the tank and the stuff that spills out will be the diesel.

nealglover
    Free Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not attempt to syphon off by mouth a mate of mine almost died doing this by swallowing and inhaling the fuel.. PLEASE PLEASE DONT DO IT!!!

Or.

Do it, but do it properly.
    That way you won’t be inhaling or drinking the fuel.

project
    Free Member

Then he had a fag and went puffftttt.

Seriously though fuel in the lungs or stoamch is dangerous.

Use a syphon , abvailable from toolstation or screwfix,

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aldi are doing syphon pumps right now
    How ever i seriously doubt a golf will be syphonable…..

If i really needed the fuel id stick a bulb on the flexi before or after fuel filter and pump it out from there

How ever – even the scotsman in me isnt that tight

Does seem wierd to take a stupidly lowball trade in price and then worry about the fuel in the tank….. Ive sold non running crap cars for more than 200 quid!!! Ffs i got 500 quid trade in on a mk4 1.4 golf with a blown headgasket and banjaxed waterpump…… And te garage knew about this !

joshvegas
    Free Member

tube in the tank.
    thumb on the end and pull out a couple of inches.
    push back in as you lift your thumb off.
    thumb on the end and pull out a couple of inches.
    push back in etc.

do it quickly.

As stated though, baffles?

Cougar

When you do, be sure to upload a YouTube video.

muddodger
    Free Member

There must be something very wrong with it for you not to be able to get at least £600 for a golf diesel.
    Advertise it on any VW forum, someone will bite your hand off, or has already been said, gumtree, it will sell.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Is it a mk4? What’s the mileage, tax and test like? I’d pay 200 for a golf diesel and even pay you for the fuel in it ;-).

kevj
    Free Member

There is a plastic quick fit connection on the fuel line, positioned under the tank which leads to the engine bay. It’s a bitch to unclip but gravity will do the rest.

shotsaway
    Free Member

They’ve agreed just £200 off for the old heap against an over priced but still reasonable Audi. I filled it up on Thursday…. £68… so yes I am that tight.

Why don’t you delay taking delivery of your new car for a week or two?

singletrackmind

If its a MK3 Golf I have syphoned the petrol out of one. Previous mental womam mis-fuelled it , and having already dinged the wing enough to write it off , decided to scrap it.
    She told garage owner to get rid of it, he did . He sold it to me for £100. She found out and went bat-shit at me ‘profiteering’ at her misfortune. So I gave her £20 to shut her up.

Otherwise why not undo one of the jubilee clips under the car and drain it down? Then add a tiny bit back and play fuel roulette all the way to the garage

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How can I get fuel out of a car without getting in my mouth?’ is closed to new replies.